U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:57 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,714,640 times

Advertisements

I just posted to you on the other thread. I'd go w/ Port A over anywhere else down in that area. Of all of the areas it is the one that has something going for it right now. Corpus itself could use a shot in the arm. Ocean Dr is neat and the older architecture is great but has not been kept up. North Padre Island has not changed much in 23 YEARS!!! Sad as it is ON the beach and could be SOOOOOO much more. Okay, first off let me say that if your traveling south on the SPD thru Corpus you will cross over onto Flour Bluff first where most of the navy folks live right now. It is not rundown or crime ridden. Then you cross over to Padre Island and take the next left and cross over to Mustang Island. Much of Mustang Island is park land so not much in the way of residential development or retail/commercial AT ALL!!! This is where concerts and such are held during Spring Break and summers. Then you go on down and reach Port A (Port Aransas). As you get closer to Port A you will see some larger resort type properties on the beach side and a golf course (Port Royal is one of the more well known resorts). Port A is more the funky beach town but very little condo's and hotels/motels ON the beach. More revitalization and building is going on in Port A than anywhere else in this ENTIRE AREA (except the retail along the SPD in Corpus).

Spring Breakers - they consist MOSTLY OF FAMILIES!!!! Very, VERY few college kids in this area. Only those whose parents won't let them go to South Padre or other big party destinations or the younger college kids that are under 21 and can't get into bars as there are VERY FEW bars in Port A and NONE in North Padre. As I said, not much has changed in North Padre in 23 years. EXCEPT the SEVERE DROP in college spring breakers. When I was there back then it was PACKED on the beach w/ college spring breakers. This year you had wide open beaches and all families.

Being a long distance landlord would be a PITA!!! Even a close in one can be. If you DO buy then I'd buy something you yourself and/or family can use on holidays/vacations/weekends until you move there full time. You could find a management service to rent it out for short term for you IF you want to try and make some money off of it in the meantime. Mostly families would be renting it or groups of people coming down to fish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:00 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
The reason I am thinking of buying now is I just sold my house in Utah a few months ago and would like to invest it in real estate in a future house. I keep thinking Texas will see it's "boom" as far as the home values going up so that's why I was thinking of buying now. But as you said, I dont know the areas and a weekened trip won't be enough time to become familiar with what is the most desirable area. I went to Galveston and didnt really like that at all. I felt like everything was old.

1. Avoid North Padre Island and most of the Corpus area if your wanting to see a big increase in property values.

2. Ocean Dr in Corpus would be VERY VERY VERY HIGH real estate prices in any other place. Compared to other waterfront locales this real estate is CHEAP!!! Still "high" since many of the properties have not been kept up. There is a nice neighborhood of older ranch homes that runs between Ocean Dr and Staples that have been mostly kept up and updated.

3. If you though Galveston felt "old" you might not like much of this area at all. If you have never been a weekend trip would be worthwhile before you waste anymore time even entertaining the idea of buying in this area.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,532,614 times
Oh yeah you could make big bucks renting it out as a Vacation Rental.. those are in big demand out there.. no need to get a family in there.. but rent it out weekly for a few hundred to thousand dollars depending on the house and where its at. I forgot about vacation renting.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:15 PM

4,345 posts, read 8,588,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I just posted to you on the other thread. I'd go w/ Port A over anywhere else down in that area. Of all of the areas it is the one that has something going for it right now. Corpus itself could use a shot in the arm. Ocean Dr is neat and the older architecture is great but has not been kept up. North Padre Island has not changed much in 23 YEARS!!! Sad as it is ON the beach and could be SOOOOOO much more. Okay, first off let me say that if your traveling south on the SPD thru Corpus you will cross over onto Flour Bluff first where most of the navy folks live right now. It is not rundown or crime ridden. Then you cross over to Padre Island and take the next left and cross over to Mustang Island. Much of Mustang Island is park land so not much in the way of residential development or retail/commercial AT ALL!!! This is where concerts and such are held during Spring Break and summers. Then you go on down and reach Port A (Port Aransas). As you get closer to Port A you will see some larger resort type properties on the beach side and a golf course (Port Royal is one of the more well known resorts). Port A is more the funky beach town but very little condo's and hotels/motels ON the beach. More revitalization and building is going on in Port A than anywhere else in this ENTIRE AREA (except the retail along the SPD in Corpus).

Spring Breakers - they consist MOSTLY OF FAMILIES!!!! Very, VERY few college kids in this area. Only those whose parents won't let them go to South Padre or other big party destinations or the younger college kids that are under 21 and can't get into bars as there are VERY FEW bars in Port A and NONE in North Padre. As I said, not much has changed in North Padre in 23 years. EXCEPT the SEVERE DROP in college spring breakers. When I was there back then it was PACKED on the beach w/ college spring breakers. This year you had wide open beaches and all families.

Being a long distance landlord would be a PITA!!! Even a close in one can be. If you DO buy then I'd buy something you yourself and/or family can use on holidays/vacations/weekends until you move there full time. You could find a management service to rent it out for short term for you IF you want to try and make some money off of it in the meantime. Mostly families would be renting it or groups of people coming down to fish.
So basically what you are saying is if I buy it would be Port Aransas as the best bet and then don't rent it out until I can get there full time and use it ourselves? We are going there this upcoming weekend Thurs - Monday so I guess I can see what it's like. We were thinking of Port Isabel before this area but that seems so far away from everything. Have you lived there or do you live close by? I also wondered about Victoria.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Oh yeah you could make big bucks renting it out as a Vacation Rental.. those are in big demand out there.. no need to get a family in there.. but rent it out weekly for a few hundred to thousand dollars depending on the house and where its at. I forgot about vacation renting.

But as some of the people were saying, if its short term rental they trash it so now I am not sure. I am assuming there is alot of good fishing around since that is alot of what I hear people talking about.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

I was just thinking of having a property management company manage it and doing a one year lease with the tenants. I guess I will check more into it this weekend when we are down in the area

Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM

42 posts, read 164,529 times
Chickrae-
We just moved to the area and are renting a home for a year 'til we decide what part of town to buy or if we're staying. We rented on the Island and are paying $2,000 a month....that's on the water. There were several homes on the Island (which is North Padre, by the way) in that price range, but most of them are now rented (we only looked 2 months ago)-lots of the flyboys, etc live out there and rent yearly. We looked for our rental through a few excellent rental mgt. companies, that I would not feel nervous about letting manage my own property. (We have a 4 bed 3500 sf home w/ a pool, ..out of state...currently being rented). Now is a VERY good time to buy on the Island. There was a development that everyone thought was coming, so lots of investors purchased high, counting on that to raise property values, but are now selling at rock bottom prices. If we weren't locked in now, we'd jump on some of the homes. They're selling for 100-125k less than this time last year!!

Port A is great, BUT, lots of my friends are now selling their homes and moving to the Island because their property is appraising for so much now and their taxes are out of sight. In the past three years, one friend's small condo jumped from 150k in value to 380k. Just keep in mind, that's a very high-demand area and you'll see your values increase...ESPECIALLY if that's not your primary residence. Then your value is not capped at 10% per year.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Don't worry! It will work out. The Island isn't the Caribbean, but it does beat my beach in Oklahoma (ha)!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escantrell View Post
Chickrae-
We just moved to the area and are renting a home for a year 'til we decide what part of town to buy or if we're staying. We rented on the Island and are paying $2,000 a month....that's on the water. There were several homes on the Island (which is North Padre, by the way) in that price range, but most of them are now rented (we only looked 2 months ago)-lots of the flyboys, etc live out there and rent yearly. We looked for our rental through a few excellent rental mgt. companies, that I would not feel nervous about letting manage my own property. (We have a 4 bed 3500 sf home w/ a pool, ..out of state...currently being rented). Now is a VERY good time to buy on the Island. There was a development that everyone thought was coming, so lots of investors purchased high, counting on that to raise property values, but are now selling at rock bottom prices. If we weren't locked in now, we'd jump on some of the homes. They're selling for 100-125k less than this time last year!!

Port A is great, BUT, lots of my friends are now selling their homes and moving to the Island because their property is appraising for so much now and their taxes are out of sight. In the past three years, one friend's small condo jumped from 150k in value to 380k. Just keep in mind, that's a very high-demand area and you'll see your values increase...ESPECIALLY if that's not your primary residence. Then your value is not capped at 10% per year.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Don't worry! It will work out. The Island isn't the Caribbean, but it does beat my beach in Oklahoma (ha)!

Ok thanks for the info. How expensive are the homes on the island? Did you just move there? Are you from that area?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Ok thanks for the info. How expensive are the homes on the island? Did you just move there? Are you from that area?
Are you from Oklahoma? Just read that last line as that is where we will be moving from.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:54 PM

42 posts, read 164,529 times
Yep! From OKC, but grew up in a teeny-tiny town.

Depends upon what type of home you are looking for. We do live on the Island now (for 3 months), but have voraciously been attending Open Houses, etc, so have a pretty good idea of the market. Do you want a single family dwelling or condo? On the water or interior? How large?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi