U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:01 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,783 times

Advertisements

It has been said for decades, that 3% of the population in unemployable due to physical and/or mental disabilities. In the past 3 weeks we needed service on our washing machine (new from Sears) wanted lawn treatment service from Chemlawn and needed our air conditioner serviced. We waited a week for Sears Repair service (they said they have 3 service positions that have been open for 2 months), had to go with another lawn service because Chemlawn can not fill their positions (4 open in Corpus) and the Service Manager himself came to service our a/c unit because he has 2 openings for service technicians. In addition, we spoke with the owner of Ethan Allen at a social gathering and he has 2 warehouse, 2 delivery driver and 2 office positions open and no applicants despite Corpus Caller running for 2 weeks. We also spoke with an auto dealer and he has 5 positions open (not sales or commission positions). Those who can and want to work have plenty to choose from. Yes, I know the pay is less than larger cities, however, cost of living in larger cities is seldom taken into consideration, so the net is very close to the same. This employment picture is not common in other cities of Corpus' size from statistics I have researched.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,533,176 times
What are they paying? That could be reason enough to not get any call backs on their ads. Also with the oil companies in Corpus paying rather well, those jobs will get answered before the ones you mentioned ever do. But if I move out that way.. I'll be sure to check them all out.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM

37 posts, read 119,612 times
Wow...maybe I shold be a Sears repair-person or sell cars :-)

Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM

5,361 posts, read 10,258,801 times
Yeah, it seems skilled sets are sort of short in Corpus.

And yeah, Sears Repair type stuff does take some skills and sharps.

Thinking about it, the folks I work with in Corpus tolerate outrageous crap from me.

Not a good thing, just observation.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM

463 posts, read 1,182,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
It has been said for decades, that 3% of the population in unemployable due to physical and/or mental disabilities. In the past 3 weeks we needed service on our washing machine (new from Sears) wanted lawn treatment service from Chemlawn and needed our air conditioner serviced. We waited a week for Sears Repair service (they said they have 3 service positions that have been open for 2 months), had to go with another lawn service because Chemlawn can not fill their positions (4 open in Corpus) and the Service Manager himself came to service our a/c unit because he has 2 openings for service technicians. In addition, we spoke with the owner of Ethan Allen at a social gathering and he has 2 warehouse, 2 delivery driver and 2 office positions open and no applicants despite Corpus Caller running for 2 weeks. We also spoke with an auto dealer and he has 5 positions open (not sales or commission positions). Those who can and want to work have plenty to choose from. Yes, I know the pay is less than larger cities, however, cost of living in larger cities is seldom taken into consideration, so the net is very close to the same. This employment picture is not common in other cities of Corpus' size from statistics I have researched.
That's amazing! Because my wife applies for every customer service/ admin positions that come out on a daily basis and she is very qualified. Her resume was professionally done. In fact part of my relocation package with my company was do have my wife's resume professionally done.
They only interviews that she was able to get were through a temp-company.
And I have not really found that the cost of living here is that low. I know the property taxes are extremely high.
While we live here she will continue to seek employment.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,323,279 times
the reasons are:
large indigent population (some prefer to live onn welfare-so much easier to get food stamps, free medical care, housing authority housing than to work hard to pay for it all) and illegal population.
by the way, when i lived down that way, the very few that i had gotten to know who were going to community college to better themselves had aspirations to move out of the area.

Last edited by NOTAM; 09-03-2008 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,783 times
I came from the leading welfare state of Minnesota where you get a check the day you arrive and little incentive to work. I tired of some of the highest income and property taxes in the country to support the largest Somali population in the country and daily "transplants" from IL, IN and MI. There is no comparison between MN and TX when it comes to cost of living and taxes. We in effect raised our income 20% when we took into consideration our corporate, income and property taxes and included building costs and utilities by moving to Corpus.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 PM

I find that truly amazing. I still can't believe that I pay almost $6,000 a yr for property taxes in CC for a 1850 sq ft home.
I paid $1,200 a yr in Phoenix which is a much larger city.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,323,279 times
wow. thats crazy. i have asked all my friends here in Central Texas what their property taxes are, to get an idea, when i finally buy, and no one has quoted anything over 3-4K, and the high end quotes are my friends who are much wealthier than me and living in McMansions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I find that truly amazing. I still can't believe that I pay almost $6,000 a yr for property taxes in CC for a 1850 sq ft home.
I paid $1,200 a yr in Phoenix which is a much larger city.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
wow. thats crazy. i have asked all my friends here in Central Texas what their property taxes are, to get an idea, when i finally buy, and no one has quoted anything over 3-4K, and the high end quotes are my friends who are much wealthier than me and living in McMansions!
It is crazy ! I have heard that the taxes in th rest of TX are not as high as CC. So hopefully you won't get hit too bad.
I just can't wait to get another job (hopefully a transfer) , sell my home and get out of town.
I'm glad you were able to move to a better area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi