Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM

61 posts, read 261,006 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I did do the search, however I didn't find much related to what I'm asking specifically.

My girlfriends and I will be vacationing in Corpus Christi for 11 days or so this summer. We will be staying at a hotel near the airport. We are wanting the low-down on good beach spots to go to, information of boat rides, attractions to see, shopping centers, etc.

Also - what goes on for Fourth of July celebrations?

I do apologize if this is redundant, I'm sure it's all been asked before. But I didn't find anything in the search results that answered everything.

Thanks!!

-Crystal
Oklahoma City, OK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
I'll try and answer this question as best as I can.

First off, the airport area is pretty under-developed. There isn't much even in the way of fast food out there. Therefore, you are going to be doing a lot of driving.

Most of the shopping/restaurants/etc. will be on a road called South Padre Island Drive (abbreviated to S.P.I.D. by the locals). SPID is also known as state highway 358 until it gets to Flour Bluff, where it becomes known as Park Road 22 until it reaches Padre Island. One of the best beaches in the area is all the way down this road on Padre Island National Seashore - Malaquite Beach. Another great beach is located along Mustang Island...this is the area to the north of Packery Channel all the way up to Port Aransas.

As far as shopping, along SPID is the Padre Staples Mall. This mall is pretty much your standard shopping mall, anchored by Dillard's, Macy's, and JCPenney. For a more local shopping flavor, there are a few beachwear places located in Port Aransas as well as on Corpus Christi Beach (located just north of downtown across the Harbor Bridge).

Also located on Corpus Christi Beach are the Texas State Aquarium and the U.S.S. Lexington. I would highly recommend seeing both of these. Back across the Harbor Bridge is the Bayfront Arts and Science Park...you can see the Art Museum of South Texas, Museum of Science and History, the Corpus Christi Water Garden, and Heritage Park. I'm not sure how good these attractions are anymore, as I haven't been to any of them in 10 years or so. Cross under the bridge from the Bayfront Arts and Science Park and you will be at Whataburger Field...if you and your friends like baseball at all, try to catch a Hooks game. The stadium is top-notch and the team isn't bad, either.

As far as boat rides, the only one I really know of is the Flagship (highly recommended): Captain Clark's Flagship Tours

On the fourth of July, the city has a fireworks display on the downtown shoreline. The best place to watch this is the T-Heads and the Seawall, but it gets crowded. I've also heard that there are festivities aboard the Lexington that night, but I don't have any information on that.

Let me know if you need any more info. If you search a bit, you may be able to find some of my recommendations on restaurants. If you give me an idea of what type of food you would like to try, I can recommend a few.

Last edited by awecelot; 05-10-2008 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Added 4th of July Info

Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
A few more places to go to would be the Hooks games. That is if you are into sports or baseball. They are the AA affiliate of the Houston Astros. Also if you like arena football, there are the Corpus Christi Sharks in the American Bank Center and the Corpus Christi Hammerheads in the Regional Fairgrounds in Robstown. For now, Padre Staples Mall is the only in Corpus. Sunrise Mall went bankrupt and shutdown last week. Another mall/outdoor center that is soon to be constructed is the Crosstown Common. Also an outlet mall is being built in the suburbs of Corpus right by Robstown. Other attractions would be to walk along the bayfront. Corpus has a really nice, but undeveloped downtown area.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks guys!

Driving wont be a problem. Going by google maps, isnt the airport only a few miles (maybe 10-15) from the beach?

We would rather save the cash on a hotel room and drive a bit instead.

Yes, the aquarium is something I certainly want to see! I am a huge fish buff, so I love that stuff. And, you know, the beach

We may very well stop by and see a Hooks game. We have one who is a huge sports fan, and I can certainly stand a baseball game or two. We'll put that on the list, too.

We want this to be as leisurely as possible. Its the first big road trip for any of us. Any sort of driving tips (I know that certain areas have insane road systems) and what not would be awesome.

As far as the underdeveloped airport/downtown area - thats alright. We plan on stocking up on groceries before leaving and skip eating out too terribly much, and when we do it will probably be near the beach. It will be one of those things where when we head out for the beach/activity, we will probably be out all day only using the hotel to sleep. You know?

It's all a bit confusing right now, locations and all. But I am sure we will figure it out once we're there.

I can't wait!

P.S. - I have been warned that the beaches are nice for a view, but not for swimming. Nasty waters and tons of jelly fish. Is this true?

Last edited by CDMOK; 05-10-2008 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Hit the beach at Port Aransas, and then hit Port A Pizza. its awesome.

On Thursdays the Museum next to the Huge Convention center seen on this cam..[ E-Gov Bayfront Web Cam - City of Corpus Christi ] is free, go check it out, on the second floor they have a bronze statue that is so life like you will be expecting it to jump at you and say boo.. or get up or something.

The Malls suck, so skip them..

The Blue Ghost the big Air Craft Carrier is a fun trip, they have a Ghost tour too.

Also check out the Aquarium, its awesome! I went twice while there I dug it so much.

Lots of Jelly Fish.. and seaweed. But I see surfers out in it all the time. I would guess swim at your own risk..

But if your out at Port Aransas walk the jetti, its about 2 miles long and its a fun walk. You can also watch big ships go in and out the channel.

Also there is a pier there, that has a place to eat, and I hear fishing lessons if you want to fish.

Thats a few things, oh your going with your girl.. I said forget the malls, but one of them has a nice carousel you can take her on.. she may find it romantic?

Have a great trip.. Corpus is a nice place.. you'll really enjoy yourself.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:06 AM

No no - my girls. As in, girlfriends, BFFs? Ahaha.

But thank you for the suggestios!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMOK View Post
No no - my girls. As in, girlfriends, BFFs? Ahaha.

But thank you for the suggestios!

Ah ok.. well stay safe and have a good time.. If you get a chance go check out the big hotel on the beach.. its very nice inside.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM

33 posts, read 181,455 times
Default Just Got Back from Corpus

Just spent two days in Corpus and had a great time. First, stayed at Super 8 motel on Shoreline right across the street from the T-Heads (boat slips on Corpus Christi Bay downtown). Price was $74.00 for ocean view and $69.00 in the back. Had stayed there before and had nice rooms, good service, and a great view.

Ate at a new restaurant a few blocks from there...The Railhead...faces Water Street right off of Hwy 37. Margaritas were $2.00 and half-price appetizers at Happy Hour. Food and drinks were superb and very friendly bartenders and wait staff.

Also ate at Nikkos over on Saratoga between Everhart and South Staples. Nikkos is an upscale, yet casual steakhouse with a sports bar in the center. Every day features a different $2.00 drink special. Dad had beef kabobs and I had the stuffed shrimp...fabulous! Bill was around $50.00 for the two of us. Also had fried shrimp basket at Blackbeards on Corpus Christi's North Beach where the Lexington is docked ($7.99). You can't miss Blackbeards b/c the building is a very deep purple. The had the best fried shrimp I've had in years. Very reasonable...kind of dumpy place...with very friendly waitstaff.

Didn't go shopping, but I think the bankruptcy on Sunrise Mall was stalled. I wanted to go to Six Points to the small shops I saw advertised...also wanted to try the Water Street Market shops but didn't have time.

Went swimming on the beach at Padre and Port Aransas...lots of seaweed but the water was great. I learned as a kid not to swim in the Corpus bay due to lots of jelly fish but I've done it in the past.

Loved the aquarium, especially the dolphin show. Thought the new ballpark was really cool. Saw a place near there called Brewsters that looked very interesting for a place to go hang out and have a few brewskies and hamburgers.

Also stayed at Rockport, but that's another story. Plenty to do in Corpus and on Padre Island.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

Last edited by BluesConnect; 05-12-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
if you are stung by a relatively benign jellyfish, meat tenderizer will do the trick. If you see any blue balloon-looking things on the water, don't get in (or go near any that are washed up on the shore). Those are called Portuguese Men-of-War, and their stings can be deadly.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
I've also been thinking of taking a vacation to Corpus this summer. I live in San Angelo and normally take the kids to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels every year. Well, because I'm retired Navy (retired 5 years ago), I thought I'd take them to Corpus because they were younger when I retired and they might like to see the Lady Lexi there. I could stay on the Naval Air Station so I'm not worried about that.

Question I have is, how far is the Schlitterbahn park on South Padre Island from Corpus? Is it close enough to stay at the Naval Station there and drive to it, or would we need to get a hotel closer? It doesn't seem to have on-site rooms like the one in New Braunfels has.

Thanks for the help!

~Rath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi