Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,002,342 times

Advertisements

My mother, RN, is looking to relocate to CC. What hospitals are located in/around the Corpus area? Which are considered the best? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,328,209 times
Christus Spohn owns most all the hospitals in the area (three in Corpus, and also 3 rural ones-Beeville, Kingsville, Alice). i was an RN working in that system. i dont recommend it. worst employer in 17 years ER RN career.
Doctors Regional is the only "other" hospital in CC. not much better.
much better options in Austin, Temple, DFW,Houston.....heck, just about anywhere

Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,609,970 times
There is also Driscoll Children's Hospital, which is a regional children's hospital.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

42 posts, read 175,882 times
Actually, Doctor's is owned by HCA and they have three hospitals in the area. Christus Spohn has three and there is Driscoll, the Children's Hospital...voted the best place to work in CC two years in a row. Additionally, there are a couple of specialty hospitals, CC Specialty and Kindred.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM

45 posts, read 149,476 times
Spohn Memorial treated they guy that Dick Cheney shot during that infamous hunting trip. He has really good things to say about the hospital. Its not in the best neighborhood, though. Spohn South will always have a special place in my heart. A few years back, my mom had an emergency surgery. Throughout the entire ordeal, myself and my family were treated like gold and my mom applauded the staff.

Driscoll is another great hosptial. One of my co-workers continues to marvel at the staff and care his young daughter recieved while she was admitted.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 PM

yes, Driscoll has the highest satisfaction rating of all the local hospitals, however, not ALL nurses are suited for pediatric medicine or any pediatric specialty.
Spohn South is most DEFINITELY the BEST of the Spohn system facilities, without a doubt. but the organization is one that i would not recommend overall.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKen View Post
Spohn Memorial treated they guy that Dick Cheney shot during that infamous hunting trip. He has really good things to say about the hospital. Its not in the best neighborhood, though. Spohn South will always have a special place in my heart. A few years back, my mom had an emergency surgery. Throughout the entire ordeal, myself and my family were treated like gold and my mom applauded the staff.

Driscoll is another great hosptial. One of my co-workers continues to marvel at the staff and care his young daughter recieved while she was admitted.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,609,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
yes, Driscoll has the highest satisfaction rating of all the local hospitals, however, not ALL nurses are suited for pediatric medicine or any pediatric specialty.
Spohn South is most DEFINITELY the BEST of the Spohn system facilities, without a doubt. but the organization is one that i would not recommend overall.....
Belle, as I've said before, it's your business where you like to live and work, but I think it's important to add that you've said on here before that you like working as a nurse in the prison system and the military. It may be that your expectations of good working conditions are different from many others in the health care professions. I'm just sayin'....

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM

you do have a point-i am spoiled rotten. i have had the experience of working in areas/facilities where there is no understaffing, and time is not money. gotta love government waste.......especially when you are on easy street because of it and getting paid so well to not work hard and feel like you are committing highway robbery every day ya go to work. yep you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Belle, as I've said before, it's your business where you like to live and work, but I think it's important to add that you've said on here before that you like working as a nurse in the prison system and the military. It may be that your expectations of good working conditions are different from many others in the health care professions. I'm just sayin'....

Old 05-23-2008, 12:00 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,002,342 times
I'd choose Austin over CC too, but my mother would prefer a smaller coastal city. Does a degree weigh heavily in CC? Would it be beneficial to seek a BSN as it would in most larger cities? The current hospital she works for pays little difference in RN, BSN, and MSN nurses. She currently works med surg. Any insight into which hospital has the best med surg dept? Pediatrics is not an option.

How large of a hospital is Memorial? Which is the newest or most recently remodelled? Finally, which would you consider to most up-to-date?

Last edited by tgannaway89; 05-23-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 12:13 AM

most hospitals in my 17 years being an RN, do not pay more for a higher degree, for a staff nurse. maybe $1.00-2.00/hour more. not worth it. not much of a return on investment. as an ADN (associates degree) RN, annual salary can be up to $78K. tacking on a measly dollar an hour really doesnt add much to that gross income.
degrees dont weigh heavily anywhere, and especially in South Texas, where the nursing shortage is even more critical. as long as you have a pulse they will hire ya..well just kidding, but seriously, all they want to see is that you are have active licensure in good standing. that's it.
you ask about med-surg. wouldnt be able to tell ya there. i have always worked ER in hospitals (and a bit of PACU). but typically med-surg units are very understaffed and overworked. i admire your mom. i could never work a floor/ward. way too much physical work, too exhausting. ER is much easier, just more mentally stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I'd choose Austin over CC too, but my mother would prefer a smaller coastal city. Does a degree weigh heavily in CC? Would it be beneficial to seek a BSN as it would in most larger cities? The current hospital she works for pays little difference in RN, BSN, and MSN nurses. She currently works med surg. Any insight into which hospital has the best med surg dept?

How large of a hospital is Memorial? Which is the newest or most recently remodelled? Finally, which would you consider to most up-to-date?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi