Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times

Advertisements

We are looking for and buying a home in the Port Aransas, Rockport, Ingleside or Corpus Christi areas and then renting it out until we move there in three years when my husband retires. I have read so many bad things on here as far as the crime in Corpus Christi and the cheap homes and bad areas, so now I am not sure what to do. My son is in Victoria so we wanted to settle somewhere close to there closer to the water. Any ideas? I also don't know what rent would be on a home about 1500 square feet. I don't want the value to go down. We were just thinking if we bought now, we would be that much more ahead when we got down there in three years. We are from Oklahoma so used to hot, humid weather (I know it's much hotter there). I am more concerned on buying in an area that isn't going to become run down, and depreciate in value.
I have talked to real estate agents and of course if they show homes in the area they have nothing bad to say.

I have never visited the area and we will be doing so over Memorial Weekend. Please help if you have any insight.

Confused in Oklahoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
My grandparents lived in Ingleside. Also Rockport and Corpus Christi. Ingleside is pretty close to Corpus, but is a very small, quiet town. I really enjoyed going there to visit and explore as much as possible. Rockport was nice as well. It's a little bit bigger with more to do in town. Corpus, like any city, has it's good parts and bad parts. I never feel unsafe being there. Just learn where the bad part of town is and don't go there. As far as Aransas Pass, they owned a business there so I only went there to see them at work. I never met any people there that scared me, many were just regular working folks. Very friendly.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the information.I think every city has its good and bad parts but there was one thread on here that said the crime in Corpus was horrible and lots of registered sex offenders so I started getting nervous. We want to retire there, but we are now leaning towards Port Aransas or Rockport and might stay away from the city

Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Don't let the stuff you read on here scare you.. Corpus I would not live in.. but Port Aransas I would not hesitate to live in, or Portland either. Flour Bluff used to be a rough spot, but it is starting to tame out and become a better place. Ingleside is rough with the navy base, and its closing so it might be something to consider, all them out of work people in the area.. Aransas Pass looks dirty and a bit hill-billy like.

I think if you get out on the Island, Port Aransas you'll be fine. Or you could also check out Port O'Connor. Its a small community, but it maybe a great retirement area. Port Lavaca is just up the road too.. so look around the area some before you retire in the area. The Texas Gulfcoast is a great place to live. One place you may like is the Freeport area.. its a bit further of a drive to Victoria.. but you would be real close to Houston and Galveston for exploring.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 PM

So what is this island that everyone talks about. Is it Mustang Island? Some people refer to the island as padre island, but I thought that was south by Port Isabel. Is there more of a scare of flooding on the island then some of the other areas. I am sure when we get down there Memorial Weekend and see it, it will all make more sense.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Being an absentee landlord is a real challenge. Not living in the same city to watch over the tenants is worrisome enough, but gambling that those same tenants won't trash the place you eventually expect to live in strikes me as foolish. Especially considering that those tenants could be resentful at knowing they will eventually be forced out. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Don't buy until you're ready to move.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Being an absentee landlord is a real challenge. Not living in the same city to watch over the tenants is worrisome enough, but gambling that those same tenants won't trash the place you eventually expect to live in strikes me as foolish. Especially considering that those tenants could be resentful at knowing they will eventually be forced out. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Don't buy until you're ready to move.
Thats something to think about. We just thought if prices went up on homes we would be that much ahead. What about having a property management company help with it and my son will live in Victoria too. I have never had a rental property before so but isn't it possible to get a good family in there?

Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Don't buy until you're ready to live there. Texas real estate is not appreciating fast enough to be worth hassling with absentee landlord issues. I live in central Texas (Waco area) and my wife and I take the kids to Port Aransas every year. Lots of newer houses and condos in that area and if you are looking for retirement I'd probably choose Port Aransas or maybe Rockport. Yes, it is Mustang Island. South Padre is the next Island to the south. When you take the bridge over from Corpus Christi if you turn north you are on Mustang and if you turn south you are on Padre. They almost touch but not quite. Both are long barrier islands.

Things to think about.

1. Port Aransas is a major spring break destination in March. Rental places will get trashed by college students.

2. This is hurricane alley. Port Aransas could literally be wiped out by a major hurricane and there is little way to escape. Just one bridge to Corpus or one ferry to Aransas Pass and few roads past that. Basically the freeway to San Antonio is your choice. A major evacuation would mean total chaos.

Save your money and when you are ready to retire, spend some time traveling up and down the coast and try out some communities by renting first before putting down your hard earned money. Definitely don't buy a place you think you might like and then see it trashed by vacation renters for 3 years before you get a chance to enjoy it. My kids always love it in Port Aransas but most of the rental places we've rented are getting pretty frayed from the hard vacation use.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:06 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Good advice. But dont let Hurricanes scare you. If one is coming at you, you'll have time to get away.. just travel north and west.. hurricanes always break east.

I lived in Gulfport MS, and it was hit by a hurricane.. my house there is still standing, just needed a new roof, and some minor work. Dont stick around for a hurricane though, but at the same time dont let them scare you off from living where you want too. Port Aransas is about 30 or more feet above sea level so being washed away is not likely. Besides hurricanes dont do most of the damage, its the little twisters ( tornados ) that destroy stuff.. and flooding.. but again, your high enough that should not be a major problem. Just leave and come back after the storm has left.

Yes you can get a good family in there, and having a service manage the property for you would be a good idea.. or you could also only rent to Navy families, that way your sure to get paid, and if any damage is done the goverment will fix it.

But I do like the poster aboves Save your money and travel up and down the coast advice.. its solid and something you should really consider.. there are plenty of small communities that would be a great fit for retirement.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Good advice. But dont let Hurricanes scare you. If one is coming at you, you'll have time to get away.. just travel north and west.. hurricanes always break east.

I lived in Gulfport MS, and it was hit by a hurricane.. my house there is still standing, just needed a new roof, and some minor work. Dont stick around for a hurricane though, but at the same time dont let them scare you off from living where you want too. Port Aransas is about 30 or more feet above sea level so being washed away is not likely. Besides hurricanes dont do most of the damage, its the little twisters ( tornados ) that destroy stuff.. and flooding.. but again, your high enough that should not be a major problem. Just leave and come back after the storm has left.

Yes you can get a good family in there, and having a service manage the property for you would be a good idea.. or you could also only rent to Navy families, that way your sure to get paid, and if any damage is done the goverment will fix it.

But I do like the poster aboves Save your money and travel up and down the coast advice.. its solid and something you should really consider.. there are plenty of small communities that would be a great fit for retirement.

I am nervous about hurricanes and you never know where they will hit down there. I just moved to Oklahoma 7 months ago, and we were a few minutes from where that last Tornado hit last week in Picher, OK.

I am not interested in renting to the summer break people. I would like to get someone to rent it for a yearly lease and your idea about navy famlies is a good one.

The reason I am thinking of buying now is I just sold my house in Utah a few months ago and would like to invest it in real estate in a future house. I keep thinking Texas will see it's "boom" as far as the home values going up so that's why I was thinking of buying now. But as you said, I dont know the areas and a weekened trip won't be enough time to become familiar with what is the most desirable area. I went to Galveston and didnt really like that at all. I felt like everything was old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi