U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 AM

4,345 posts, read 8,588,573 times

Advertisements

We were looking at house in Ingleside and found two we liked. We were told the taxes were 2.4 percent of the purchase price of the home and then you need to add 1.25 percent for insurance. I realize that taxes are alot more as my son lives there. Example 125,000 house if I am figuring we would pay approx 400.00 month aside from the house payment for taxes and insurance. Can it be that much?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 AM

3,553 posts, read 7,157,100 times
I take it you don't currently live in TX. Homeowner's insurance is not regulated by the state so it's real expensive. That and the property tax, and the constant degradation of roads and other services by "no tax" politiicans are why we left after 30 years. I'm suprised it's only 1.25%.

golfgod

Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 AM

8,315 posts, read 28,105,047 times
Maybe it was your locale, but after all my road trips it's safe to say Texas has some of the best road conditions in the country, as far as state, US and Interstate highways are concerned.

And yes Chickrae, those costs for tax & insurance sound about right. Actually on the very low side if you were in the Houston area.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Maybe it was your locale, but after all my road trips it's safe to say Texas has some of the best road conditions in the country, as far as state, US and Interstate highways are concerned.

And yes Chickrae, those costs for tax & insurance sound about right. Actually on the very low side if you were in the Houston area.
I found the roads to be very nice also. I don't live there but drove there from Oklahoma through Dallas, Austin etc to get there. If it wasn't that I wanted to live close to some type of beach, I think I would stay in Oklahoma. The homes are about as cheap and taxes aren't that high. Do you know anything about the Homestead law. My son says the taxes are high but that you get alot of that back.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I take it you don't currently live in TX. Homeowner's insurance is not regulated by the state so it's real expensive. That and the property tax, and the constant degradation of roads and other services by "no tax" politiicans are why we left after 30 years. I'm suprised it's only 1.25%.

golfgod
no I don't live there but we looked at houses there. It seems to varie so much from city to city. All I know is the real estate agent said the taxes vary and from 2.4 to 3.0% and then you add on 1.25% for insurance. With all of that it will be more then my actual house payment as we wanted to put alot of money down. It's something to think about...thanks for your input.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
We were looking at house in Ingleside and found two we liked. We were told the taxes were 2.4 percent of the purchase price of the home and then you need to add 1.25 percent for insurance. I realize that taxes are alot more as my son lives there. Example 125,000 house if I am figuring we would pay approx 400.00 month aside from the house payment for taxes and insurance. Can it be that much?
Yes, it can. Insurance is high on the coast because of hurricanes and property taxes in Texas are high because we don't have a state income tax. Wish it weren't true...

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes, it can. Insurance is high on the coast because of hurricanes and property taxes in Texas are high because we don't have a state income tax. Wish it weren't true...
Do you know anything about the homestead exemption. My son lives in Houston and said he got quite a bit of money back from that.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM

I guess I am asking does it even itself out...not paying state tax but then paying higher taxes on your home. I just wonder if I should jump in or not. I am also thinking of waiting until 2009 when the changes happen with the naval base and possibly alot of naval people will be selling their home and leaving. Maybe we can get a better deal on a home then.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 AM

9,353 posts, read 17,896,272 times
no, i don't think it evens out.... at least for me it won't ..... my property taxes are less than 1% (approximately $1,200 for a house valued about $150,000) ..... my homeowners insurance is about $900 per year...

missouri state income tax is about 6% of adjusted gross income, less what you pay in fed taxes and a few other deductions.... NOT MUCH..... certainly not $2,000 +/- a year......

Old 06-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
no, i don't think it evens out.... at least for me it won't ..... my property taxes are less than 1% (approximately $1,200 for a house valued about $150,000) ..... my homeowners insurance is about $900 per year...

missouri state income tax is about 6% of adjusted gross income, less what you pay in fed taxes and a few other deductions.... NOT MUCH..... certainly not $2,000 +/- a year......

Oklahoma is much the same way....makes me think I should stay here and just fly to somewhere that has a beach. I think our taxes here are about 1,400 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi