U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 71,572 times

Advertisements

HI
My wife and I are researching the move to the Nueces Co. area. We have a couple of horses and we are looking at property in and around the Nueces Co. area. Are there Good Equine vets, hay suppliers, farriers, trails, campgrounds that other horse people go too? We are looking for a nice quiet area yet like to be near the ocean. We really seem to like the Robstown area..any comments will be appreciated. We are from NY and we are not typical "neyorkers" we love horses, ranching, cattle..ect Stay at home..rustic way of life people...we just hate the snow so we decided against wyoming and Colorado..lol. Corpus looks so nice and others have said its boring ...sounds good to us, big yet small......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 AM

808 posts, read 3,367,976 times
If you are looking at the Robstown/Northwest CC area, make sure you are in the Calallen ISD. Even if you don't have kids, crime tends to be less in the Calallen ISD than in Robstown ISD.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:31 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,791,580 times
In Nueces County your best bet is on the side of town where you're looking--Calallen, Robstown, Annaville and also in Flour Bluff, oddly enough. FB is usually considered beachy, but there are a couple of stables out there. If you're not working in CC, you should also look in the Orange Grove and Mathis areas. Also, I would not live in Robstown proper--lots of drug trafficking and crime. But outside of town should be fine.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,308,855 times
i would definitely look along the route that goes from Calallen to Orange Grove, and Mathis.
no way to Robstown...though it has a very nice new arena for livestock shows and rodeos, but not a town to live in......

Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM

23 posts, read 71,572 times
Thanks for the answers...isnt there flooding up near Mathis from the river?...I was told to stay away from the river area.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM

160 posts, read 587,188 times
Any low lying area in Nueces, San Pat, Live Oak, Jim Wells, and Bee Counties has the potential for flooding. Especially areas along the rivers and lakes. Pick your spot on a hill and you will more than likely be fine from flooding.

If Mathis bothers you because of the potential for flooding, stick to something out on FM 624. The further out you go, the less chance of flooding you get.

Hurricanes can be a different story. While a big one hitting inland and flooding is relatively rare (once every 20-30 years), consider that Beulah dumped something like 30 inches of rain in South Texas. Clegg (located where FM 624 and US 59 intersect) had 26" of rain in a 24 hour period from Beulah. Three Rivers had standing water that was up to the top of the street lights from both the rain fall and the Frio, Attascosa, and Nueces all over running their banks.

I don't know how far out of Corpus you are willing to go, and exactly how much flooding bothers you, so it is kind of hard to make a good recommendation on what area might be the best for you. I would say the Sandia area would be my best recommendation. Even that is a guess because it may be too far from Corpus.

Edit - It pains me to agree with Belle, but this is one instance I definately will. Avoid Robstown no matter what.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 AM

oh by the way, as much as I dont like South Texas, i DID like the Live Oak County area-George West and Three Rivers. i had a job offer not too far from there, in Kenedy. i wish i had taken that one instead of the one in Kingsville/Corpus Christi area, i would have definitely had a much more pleasant experience in South Texas that year.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:25 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,514,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh by the way, as much as I don't like South Texas
Does that include Galveston?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM

160 posts, read 587,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh by the way, as much as I dont like South Texas, i DID like the Live Oak County area-George West and Three Rivers. i had a job offer not too far from there, in Kenedy. i wish i had taken that one instead of the one in Kingsville/Corpus Christi area, i would have definitely had a much more pleasant experience in South Texas that year.
This is one of those instances where I wonder why I did not find this forum earlier. Had I known, I think I could have saved you a lot of grief, disappointment and heartache.

The Karnes County Hospital is supposed to be one of the best systems to work under, with a great facility. Several Beeville Christus Spohn doctors transfered up there a while back to get away from the CS Management nightmare. Everything I have heard about the place from patients that made the drive over to Kenedy after the doctors made their exodus is that they can't believe how much nicer it is there.

The Nell area of Live Oak County is one of the nicest, in my opinion, too. It is the area in the northeastern part of the county that juts off, directly across the Bee County line from Pawnee.

George West is one of two things I do not like about LOC. The town is just a little on the cliquey side of things. This is said as an adopted native son, with both grandparents settling in George West, and raising both parents in the area, and both grandfathers being past members of the GWISD School Board. The people are nice, but only if they know you. They do not go out of their way to be overly friendly like some other towns in our great state. This is one of the reasons why I, in good conscience can not, and will not recommend George West to zencowboy. The other being that I don't think they want the hour commute to Corpus.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 PM

oh yeah, i can VOUCH for what you said about the hospital comments...100%. I KNOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
This is one of those instances where I wonder why I did not find this forum earlier. Had I known, I think I could have saved you a lot of grief, disappointment and heartache.

The Karnes County Hospital is supposed to be one of the best systems to work under, with a great facility. Several Beeville Christus Spohn doctors transfered up there a while back to get away from the CS Management nightmare. Everything I have heard about the place from patients that made the drive over to Kenedy after the doctors made their exodus is that they can't believe how much nicer it is there.

The Nell area of Live Oak County is one of the nicest, in my opinion, too. It is the area in the northeastern part of the county that juts off, directly across the Bee County line from Pawnee.

George West is one of two things I do not like about LOC. The town is just a little on the cliquey side of things. This is said as an adopted native son, with both grandparents settling in George West, and raising both parents in the area, and both grandfathers being past members of the GWISD School Board. The people are nice, but only if they know you. They do not go out of their way to be overly friendly like some other towns in our great state. This is one of the reasons why I, in good conscience can not, and will not recommend George West to zencowboy. The other being that I don't think they want the hour commute to Corpus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi