U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM

808 posts, read 3,372,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Ha! Maybe a ferris wheel that can refine oil would be an acceptable substitute.
LOL.

Here's an article that I found that discusses another proposal that I believe the city ended up turning down:
http://m.caller.com/news/2006/Feb/03...l-turns-again/

Actually, I found an article about the city turning down the TRT proposal: Bayfront Development Plans Are Off | KIII TV3 South Texas | Business News (http://www.kiiitv.com/news/business/6535617.html - broken link)

It's amazing how anti-change CC really is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,533,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
LOL.

Here's an article that I found that discusses another proposal that I believe the city ended up turning down:
http://m.caller.com/news/2006/Feb/03...l-turns-again/

Actually, I found an article about the city turning down the TRT proposal: Bayfront Development Plans Are Off | KIII TV3 South Texas | Business News (http://www.kiiitv.com/news/business/6535617.html - broken link)

It's amazing how anti-change CC really is.
I said that in another thread and I was mocked.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 22,585 times
Thanks to all for all your valuable information. Corpus sounds about like any other Texas City. Anyone have any intimate knowledge of living in or around the area of OSO or EVERHART....as one poster described, that area along Shoreline drive between Ayres and Ennis-?, and over to Padre Island? From realtor photos, houses appear to be very well kept up...even though they averaging built in the 1950's & 1960's.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,284,528 times
I would never move to Corpus Christi. For me, it has gotten too dumpy for my tastes, especially after living in the well-kept up suburbs of Illinois.

However, certain aspects of Corpus I do like. I was raised there as a child and visit family each year.

In my opinion, if you have family you would probably like Flour Bluff. It is connected to Padre Island by the beach, and a short five minute drive to Mustang Island (part of Padre Island).

The school there is excellent. They have some of the most competitive sports teams in the state, especially their drill team (10 time national champions for Navy Drill, and second place finish in nationals for all drill combined).

Padre Island also has a ton of nice homes. More importantly (in a home to me at least), the quality of the homes is nice. Made of brick. Pretty cheap too. You can find some cheap property out in Flour Bluff and Padre Island. My grandparents live off of Retta and there was a two story house near there with five acres of land for only $150,000. Such a house here in Illinois would run around $600,000 because of the five acres of land.

It's not for everyone, and definitely not for me. I would never retire there. But I wouldn't mind living there for a few years. It is a different way of life, that's for sure.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,537 times
I live in the oso bay area, off Ennis Joslin I love it! It is clean, close to the water, in my opinion away from crime, ( I feel very safe going out side at night, going to the corner store alone at night, ect.) The only complaint I have is the tap water taste alittle funny The houses are a bit older but well built and roomier that some of the newer homes being built. My parents live in the S. Alameda/Santa Fe area....also closer to the water, laid back area, well kept and clean. I do recall them talking about the property taxes getting allot higher??

Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,811,056 times
Corpus has some nice things going for it, but I'd rather live 25 min away in Rockport. Its safer, friendier and cleaner and the schools are better.

Corpus is one of the fattest places in the nation- gross. Rockport is only a bit better but it has lots more men than women- not fun either lol

Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 PM

4,345 posts, read 8,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Corpus has some nice things going for it, but I'd rather live 25 min away in Rockport. Its safer, friendier and cleaner and the schools are better.

Corpus is one of the fattest places in the nation- gross. Rockport is only a bit better but it has lots more men than women- not fun either lol
Why is it fatter? Is it all that southern home cooking or what? Just curious. My son said the same thing.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,323,279 times
i didnt find Corpus area to be known for "southern home cooking"...about the only thing i saw was LOTS of mexican food-asada, gasada, barbacoa, tortillas galore.........
it was not a place saturated with "chicken fried steak" or "bbq" or your typical Southern fare---ya know, smashed taters, fried okra, etc...
even the hospital cafeteria had mostly mexican food, even for breakfast, there was breakfast tacos
i would not categorize the area for "southern home cooking", but rather "tex-mex or mexican"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Why is it fatter? Is it all that southern home cooking or what? Just curious. My son said the same thing.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,811,056 times
Obesity is linked to low education and income. People who don't know any better or do not have extra income are not going to care about health and diet.

In Corpus its just worst. I try to get a plate of food at Golden Corral and invariably there will be a huge woman in front of me- blocking my attempts to eat while chewing the remains from her last 3-4 plates. If you know football it would be like trying to get by a 350 lb linebacker protecting what she feels is rightfully hers.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,203,000 times
Mexican food is full of carbs. But as for finding Southern home cooking, I've found it in Aransas Pass and Rockport. My papaw liked this little cafe in downtown aransas, so i went there for lunch one day and had some really good food. It had the best cucumber salad I've ever had. I also had good barbecue in Ingleside. But I think primarily in that region you'll find more seafood and Mexican food. I even had some good sushi there in Corpus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi