U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 22,585 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been spending quite some time reading various posts about Corpus Christi. As a youngster growing up in the DFW Metroplex, I have fond memories of vacationing with my folks along the Texas Shoreline. Over the past 12 years or so, Ive worked as an outside sales guy covering the entire Gulf State Region from Texas to Florida, and still vacation from Galveston to S. Padre Island at least three times a year.

Now 40 years old, my wife and I are finally ready to get out of North Texas. We are both in to the salt water....sailing, jet ski, fishing, beach walking, you name it. To me, Corpus has always been a dream. Yet the negative posts Ive read about Corpus have me somewhat confused. Ive never had issues in Corpus while visiting for work or pleasure. So, for all you Corpus folks that actually live there, could you provide me your insight into the following:

1) Crime: Okay, everybody has got crime. Does it seem to be more prevalent in specific geographic areas within the city? Is it seasonal, or does it have anything to do with population swells at Spring Break or during the Summer? Is the crime mostly attributable to drug/gangs? The high rape statistics: does anyone know if this is mostly date rape, or random?

2) Where do you see your civic leadership steering the city from an economic growth perspective? 10 year growth plans have potential? Any major projects underway with the oil and/or tourist industries?

3) Real Estate: What is the average appreciation rate for single family residences? Given the downturn in real estate, is Corpus likely to "catch up" with other areas in Texas during the next upswing?

4) Taxes: Anyone know what the property tax rate is per 100 in CC proper?

5) For some one interested in a mature established neighborhood, one in which there is a sense of community, crime watches, etc., where would be some good ones? Nothing fancy, but maybe 3-4 bdrms, 2200 SF +....lots of shade would be nice...Im particularly fond of that area along shoreline drive from Emerald Beach towards the Naval base, and over to SPID.

Again, Corpus has always been a dream of mine...Im hoping that we can do a little more criss crossing of the area in the upcomming months, but are also entertaining Lake Jackson, Victoria (Port Lavaca), and Rockport.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,323,279 times
just making one comment-LIVING somewhere and visiting/vacationing somewhere are VERY different things. LIVING somewhere can bring a whole new perspective. i have been vacationing on North Shore Kaua'i, Hawaii for all of my life, and knew the island, every square mile of it, have family there. love Kaua'i with all of my heart. got a job as an ER nurse there, fully paid relocation, moved out there to be with family...HATED IT! couldn't get back to the mainland, Texas to be specific, fast enough!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 AM

808 posts, read 3,372,292 times
As someone who lived in the suburbs until a year ago, I am going to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1) Crime - it's a city. There are definitely areas in which the crime is primarily concentrated. Think about Dallas: There is much more crime in South Dallas than there is in North Dallas...in Corpus, crime seems to be concentrated on areas they call the "north side" (north of I-37 and south of the port), "west side" (between Crosstown Expressway and Padre Island Drive), and along the Leopard & Agnes Street Corridors from downtown to the west side. This does not mean that crime doesn't occur in other parts of the city...these areas just tend to be higher crime.

2) This has been Corpus' major issue. There is an attitude in the city government that is anti-change. Here's a bit of Corpus history: Sea World wanted to come in. Corpus turned it down. Landry's wanted to build a Kemah Boardwalk-type area on the T-Heads. Corpus turned it down. A developer wanted to build what was close to a billion dollar resort development on Padre Island. Corpus turned it down.

The big projects in progress right now are a new outdoor mall (similar to the shops at La Cantera in San Antonio) and an outlet mall near Robstown. The only major industrial project going on right now is the La Quinta Trade Gateway in the Gregory/Portland area. The Port of Corpus Christi - LaQuinta Trade Gateway Development Plan (http://www.portofcorpuschristi.com/LaQuintaTradeGateway.html - broken link)

3) It really depends on the area. Property in Portland & on the island/in Port Aransas seems to appreciate fastest. The next fastest areas are the southside, Calallen, and Flour Bluff. Nothing truly appreciates at a great rate.

4) No idea; I lived in the suburbs.

5) To be honest, without considering the location you wanted, the first thing that came into my mind is the Wood River subdivision in Calallen.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM

45 posts, read 139,230 times
I agree with awecelot on every point.

Calallen seems to be the right spot for you. Its about a 15 minute drive to the bayfront and the housing there is spot on for what you need. The residential areas on FM 624/Northwest Blvd are really nice. You hardly ever hear about crime in this area.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,830,628 times
Agreeing with Awecelot and SamKen with these additions:

I do think most of the crime is gang/drug related and does not affect the majority of the population. Some neighborhoods are better than others, but that will be apparent to you if you drive around some. I have never understood the high rape statistics. I walk my dog at night and have never felt afraid and the whole time I've lived here I've never known anyone who has been raped. So I don't know if it's date rape, or statutory rape, or what.

The city leadership is terrible. The people who get elected to City and County government are only interested in projects that will enrich them personally. At least that's my perspective on it.

Because CC is off the beaten path, it does not seem to experience the same big ups and downs as other parts of the country. We didn't have a big real estate bubble and prices are mostly stable right now. Don't know much more than that about home appreciation.

You're right on about neighborhoods. Look from Ayers to Ennis Joslin and Ocean Dr. to Staples, as well as Calallen. That's a big area with lots of established neighborhoods.

If you move to CC you do so for the laid-back beach atmosphere and water sports and not for the culture and nightlife.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM

45 posts, read 139,230 times
I lived in Corpus about two years ago and never felt threatened or scared to be out late at night. I lived on the south side between Everhart and Weber, south of Saratoga. We also had a great neighborhood watch program. But, if I lived on the north side of town, you better believe I was inside when the sun went down.

Corpus does have its share of festivals, concerts, and cultural stimulation... but most of these things are not advertised. The wife and I are going to a ballroom dancing showcase at the local community college. The only reason we found out about it was because we saw a flyer at a restaurant. There was no mention of the showcase on the paper, tv, or online. A relative performed his guitar recital at the community theater. The newspaper printed the announcement a week after it happened! I think someone needs to get the word out that if you aren't into the club scene, Corpus does offer some alternatives.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM

142 posts, read 459,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post

2) This has been Corpus' major issue. There is an attitude in the city government that is anti-change. Here's a bit of Corpus history: Sea World wanted to come in. Corpus turned it down. Landry's wanted to build a Kemah Boardwalk-type area on the T-Heads. Corpus turned it down. A developer wanted to build what was close to a billion dollar resort development on Padre Island. Corpus turned it down.
Surely the City Council wouldn't turn down these opportunities just for the sake of being anti-change? Maybe the breaks that the developers wanted (assuming they wanted some) didn't seem advantagous to the city?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Because CC is off the beaten path, it does not seem to experience the same big ups and downs as other parts of the country. We didn't have a big real estate bubble and prices are mostly stable right now. Don't know much more than that about home appreciation.
I would say that the Rockport area has a bubble that hasn't busted yet...I did a search for properties with asking prices over 1 mil and it brought up 23 results on the market right now. That's so far above the real estate prices for the rest of the CC area, and there really isn't that much that makes Rockport unique from the rest of the area...soon, that bubble is going to burst as people begin to move to other parts of the CC area that share similar attributes to Rockport.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_keys View Post
Surely the City Council wouldn't turn down these opportunities just for the sake of being anti-change? Maybe the breaks that the developers wanted (assuming they wanted some) didn't seem advantagous to the city?
To give you an idea, the breaking point of the Landry's deal was two-pronged:

1) The city did not want to give Landry's such a long lease (they weren't willing to commit to the development).
2) The city did not want a ferris wheel "ruining" the view of the bay.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM

142 posts, read 459,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
2) The city did not want a ferris wheel "ruining" the view of the bay.
Ha! Maybe a ferris wheel that can refine oil would be an acceptable substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi