Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 17,494 times

Advertisements

hi! I am moving to Corpus in about a month, and am hoping to find a nice apartment to live in. Does anyone know of any apartments that allow Doberman? Or does anyone know of a way around breed restrictions? Like a doctor's note? or something of that nature?? Let me know please!

-Amy
Attached Thumbnails
Apartments in Corpus Christi + Breed Restrictions-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
why would you want to rent an apartment, having a dog? for the dog's sake, rent a house with a fenced yard. if you look hard enough, you can find one comparable to the price of rent. especially since you have a large dog!!!
i never understood people with dogs who chose apartments. it's not fair to the dog. they need a yard to run in and a doggy door to allow themselves to relieve themselves when they need to. imagine if you were kept locked up 8 hours a day with no toilet???????????????????
i have ALWAYS rented places where my dogs have freedom to move and relieve themselves whenever they want to.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 17,494 times
Well, for one you must not know much about the doberman breed. They actually make ideal apartment dogs. This breed does not like to be left outside, and it is actually detrimental to their health. The doberman breed, especially the color of doberman I have, is incredibly prone to skin cancer and cannot be left outside for long periods of time. So, the other option would be to leave them inside the house. AND on another note, I am an athlete so I go running two times a day, and I bring him with me. He gets more excersize living with me than most dogs ever get their entire life. So the next time you decide to give someone advice that is unwanted and
unnecisary, maybe you should do a little research for yourself so you don't sound so ignorant.

Now, if anybody else has some HELPFUL information...I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Amy

Old 06-25-2008, 04:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
You're really gonna have to just call the complexes and ask. A lot of apartments don't want ''aggressive breeds'' and they usually lump all Dobes in that category. Unfortunate but that's how it is. Others have a weight limit, like 30-40 lbs. Looks like both your dogs would be banned in those places.

I suppose you could pay the pet deposit for the other dog and just sneak in the Dobe. I snuck in my weiner dog to all my apartments, but he was a bit easier to hide. He's been indoor-trained since day 1, and really doesn't like the outdoors much.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
I don't think there's usually a way around the breed restrictions, unfortunately. We have 2 dogs - one is about 35 pounds and the other is 70 pounds. The large one is a lab/shepherd mix (non-agressive, of course - actually quite timid because she was abused by her previous owner). When we were relocating down here, we had to find something quickly - it had to be a rental because we still needed to sell our house back home, and there was quicker turnaround time with apartments rather than house rentals - so we also ended up with an apartment. It was very difficult trying to find a complex that allowed the large dog either due to size or because she had shepherd in her. We finally found one that had a very understanding/dog-loving leasing agent and she said we should just list the dog as "lab mix" instead of "lab/shepherd" - that is what we did, and we rented the apartment from her.

I'm not in the Corpus area, so I can't give suggestions on complexes. You could hope to find a helpful leasing agent like we did that might either look the other way or help you find the way around out. Otherwise, sometimes private landlords (rental houses, duplexes, townhouses, condos...) are a bit more lenient when it comes to dogs, so is there any possibility of renting something like that instead? Sometimes they end up being about the same price or even less than an apartment. Not sure if you are looking for the amenities of an apartment complex or not, but it might be worth checking out other rental options if it's a possibility, especially if you keep running into breed restrictions at apartments.

Like you, we are experienced dog owners who know the exercise and socialization needs as well as the energy level of both of our dogs, so while we know they miss playing in our backyard of our previous home (of course this was while we were home - wouldn't have them running around out there while we were away from home), we also know that an apartment is a suitable solution for our situation in the short-term. You know what your dobie needs. It is obvious you love and care for him and have an understanding of the breed (as someone who volunteered as an adoption counselor at a humane society for several years, I can't begin to tell you how much we wish more people understood breeds - both for purebreds and for mixes, because some breed characteristics are still very dominant in mixes), so I just wish you good luck in your search for a home for you both.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM

sorry...didnt mean to offend you. i am glad that you truly love your dog and get him the exercise he needs. i guess i was just thinking that most people work 8 hours or so, or more a day, and dont have the luxury of coming home in middle of the day...to allow a dog to go out to relieve themselves....that's all.....
instead of being angry, be glad that there are people like me who always are concerned about giving our pets the care and attention they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybuff View Post
Well, for one you must not know much about the doberman breed. They actually make ideal apartment dogs. This breed does not like to be left outside, and it is actually detrimental to their health. The doberman breed, especially the color of doberman I have, is incredibly prone to skin cancer and cannot be left outside for long periods of time. So, the other option would be to leave them inside the house. AND on another note, I am an athlete so I go running two times a day, and I bring him with me. He gets more excersize living with me than most dogs ever get their entire life. So the next time you decide to give someone advice that is unwanted and
unnecisary, maybe you should do a little research for yourself so you don't sound so ignorant.

Now, if anybody else has some HELPFUL information...I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Amy

Old 06-27-2008, 11:53 PM

31 posts, read 130,742 times
Default no way

[LEFT]xLes>en Googlec
[/LEFT]
Dobies and pit bulls should be left where they belong. In the dog pound. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about either breed. Nothing. If you moved into an apartment that I lived in, I would turn you in in an instant.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 AM

i really beg to differ. i have met many dobies and pit bulls who are very gentle natured. matter of fact, my two dogs (pug and boston terrier) who are both under 25lbs, go to my friend's house regularily for "doggy play day" with his rednosed pit bull! and she is a sweetheart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcray1 View Post
[LEFT]xLes>en Googlec
[/LEFT]
Dobies and pit bulls should be left where they belong. In the dog pound. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about either breed. Nothing. If you moved into an apartment that I lived in, I would turn you in in an instant.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Wow! I've never actually met a mean Dobie in my life. Pit Bulls, depending on the owner, can sometimes be volatile, but even with those, I've yet to meet one that's not been a great dog. I've known one that, if she got too excited playing, could get to a point where she'd get growly, but then she never stepped over the line.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcray1 View Post
[LEFT]xLes>en Googlec
[/LEFT]

WOW!!!! talk about unfounded sweeping generalization...... both breeds are good dogs and make great pets.... you can look to the owners for problem dogs of ANY breed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi