U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,757 times

Advertisements

Customer service positions are plentiful in CC. Remember, sell your customer service experience even to those not advertising an open position, all businesses need excellent, experienced customer service personnel. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,322,915 times
keep in mind, if you are not bilingual, you may have some problems-anyone applying for the same job, who does speak Spanish, will be hired over you.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 PM

5,361 posts, read 10,258,344 times
You say you have boys. Not being nosy, but what ages? School can be a big deal.

If schools and school quality are issues to you (they should be) you need to be concerned about what you are doing overall.

You are in Wisconsin. Overall you can go to about any school in Wisconsin (except maybe Milwaukee) and overall your average public school is pretty good -- and also WAY above the average Texas school. Further, on average, the average Corpus school is below average, even for Texas. If you do not understand what I am cautioning you about, you need to do some SERIOUS research.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 PM

160 posts, read 587,808 times
And that typically means either Calallen or Flour Bluff if you want to be in the Corpus area.

As far as racism is concerned, I have a feeling that they would be more subject to it in Wisconsin than in South Texas. Granted, every place has ignorant dimwits that have nothing better to do than hate on people of different ethnic backgrounds than themselves, but from what I have seen living outside of Texas, it is far more noticable. Here it isn't really an issue. People typically get judged by who they are and their actions, not what color skin they have.

I take it that you have visited in the last month since you originally posted? It sounds like you have already decided to move down here. If so, that is great, but if not, once more I implore you to visit before making a decision. Corpus is a unique city, but it is not every person's cup of tea. Some of the posts made on here will verify that.

Last edited by GoingHome2TX; 08-29-2008 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: I kaint speel gud twonite!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 AM

463 posts, read 1,182,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Customer service positions are plentiful in CC. Remember, sell your customer service experience even to those not advertising an open position, all businesses need excellent, experienced customer service personnel. Good luck.
Just a comment...You seem like a very nice person. Do you work ?
I thought you had mentioned before that you are retired ?
My point is.....My wife's occupation is normally Customer Service/Admin. and after living here for over a year and a half, she has yet to find a job. And when she has had interview's....one of the 1st question's she is asked is "Do you speak Spanish ? "
So...I guess to the person that posted this....all I have to say is, good luck !
I would honestly think twice and do a lot of research before moving here.
Jobs here are not plentiful...The only reason I have a great job is that I transfered here with my company which is very large and my home office is in another state.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,757 times
I retired after 35 years with the state of MN, however, I am too young and in good health so had my choice of 5 jobs in one week when we decided to move down here in June of last year. Not once was I asked if I spoke spanish, and I do not, and my wife owns here own business and moved her Corp HQ to Corpus and maintains an office in MN.
She works with employers and has noticed there are customer service jobs begging for experienced employees throughout CC.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 PM

463 posts, read 1,182,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
I retired after 35 years with the state of MN, however, I am too young and in good health so had my choice of 5 jobs in one week when we decided to move down here in June of last year. Not once was I asked if I spoke spanish, and I do not, and my wife owns here own business and moved her Corp HQ to Corpus and maintains an office in MN.
She works with employers and has noticed there are customer service jobs begging for experienced employees throughout CC.
That is great that you want to keep working and were able to find a job so quickly. Do you work in customer service ?
The reality is that for a woman (like my wife) she is having a very hard time finding employment if she does not speak Spanish. I speak the truth on this matter. She has a outstanding work record and has never had a problem finding employment until moving here. Maybe it's just bad luck on her part, but after a year and a half, I doubt it. We also know several other families that are having the same problem. Since there is not a lot of industry here I think that could be part of the problem.
Glad to hear that moving here has worked out for you and that your wife was able to continue to run her business from CC. Unfortunately for us it's just not working out. It would be great for my wife to find one of these many customer service jobs (one that does not pay under $10/hr) that you speak of.
Hope I haven't offended you with my candid reply ?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,766,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You say you have boys. Not being nosy, but what ages? School can be a big deal.

If schools and school quality are issues to you (they should be) you need to be concerned about what you are doing overall.

You are in Wisconsin. Overall you can go to about any school in Wisconsin (except maybe Milwaukee) and overall your average public school is pretty good -- and also WAY above the average Texas school. Further, on average, the average Corpus school is below average, even for Texas. If you do not understand what I am cautioning you about, you need to do some SERIOUS research.
I'd tend to agree with this assessment. I'd stay in Wisconsin, if I were you, or get him to move up there. You will be in for some serious culture shock trading Appleton for Corpus Christi. Wisconsin is far prettier, for one thing, with much more stuff to do nearby. Even the rednecks seem more refined and cultured in Wisconsin compared to Texas, probably because they're better educated. Visit first, whatever you do!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I'd tend to agree with this assessment. I'd stay in Wisconsin, if I were you, or get him to move up there. You will be in for some serious culture shock trading Appleton for Corpus Christi. Wisconsin is far prettier, for one thing, with much more stuff to do nearby. Even the rednecks seem more refined and cultured in Wisconsin compared to Texas, probably because they're better educated. Visit first, whatever you do!
... That wasn't a bit offensive whatsoever...

Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,322,915 times
well he's right. except for the fact that Corpus Christi aint redneck whatsoever. it aint country. it's just blue collar and mostly hispanic. i dont think you find alot of hispanics that would in any way be categorized as redneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
... That wasn't a bit offensive whatsoever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi