Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times

Advertisements

Corpus is great. You're going to love it. Don't let these people give you a tainted view of this area just because it didn't work out for them. It sounds to me that they are the ones that are prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
I am looking at Corpus also, I am from Arizona so heat doesnt worry me. What are some good neighboorhoods within 10-15 mins drive of the university? Also what is the property taxes like? What can you expect on say a $175,000 home, Thanks in advance

Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaboro View Post
I am looking at Corpus also, I am from Arizona so heat doesnt worry me. What are some good neighboorhoods within 10-15 mins drive of the university?

South Shore, Pharoah Valley, Lamar Park, Del Mar, Terra Mar are all nice neighborhoods near they University. And the Flour Bluff area has several new developments that are very nice. One of the best school districts in the state too.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
All I can say is if you are thinking about moving down here, visit for a week or two to experience it for yourself. Personally I think its a great city. Sure its not Houston or San Antonio, but if you would like that then you can go there. Both are within 200 miles. Anyways, many people have different views of the city. So the best way for you to know about it is to visit for yourself.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
wrong wrong wrong. i am frankly getting tired of everyone who defends Corpus and South Texas, by saying to each of us who had bad experiences down there, or didn't like it down there, or it didnt work out for us, that it was simply because of PREJUDICE.

matter of fact, the statement below, ASSUMES that there was a race problem, so it would make one assume that there is obviously some issues down there with race, prejudice, assimiliation, cultural clashes etc.

notice how the poster simply used "prejudice" as the assumption of why others didnt like it down there. didn't mention any other possible reasons e.g. weather/climate, city government, economy, lifestyle/recreation/activities, job opportunities, geography etc.

it's like someone assuming that the reason someone doesnt like Memphis is because of its' high percentage of black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Corpus is great. You're going to love it. Don't let these people give you a tainted view of this area just because it didn't work out for them. It sounds to me that they are the ones that are prejudice.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
One of the best school districts in the state too.
Well that is a bit of an overstatement. Not knocking it, but when folks come flagging-on people with stuff that is clearly bs, you are not really helping the condition.

Truth is Flour Bluff is "Academically Acceptable" (about like a "C" behind Exemplary and Recognized -- the A and B under the Texas system).

Further School Digger rates Flour Bluff as 386th (of 1028 districts in Texas). Which is not bad, but you have to add that Texas overall is near the bottom of the heap.

So to truly call a school or district good within Texas, you probably should be at least in the top 10 or 20%, at least. Not dogging you, just a reality check.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:21 PM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
Over 35 years in customer service management and had my pick of 5 positions. Granted not everyone has that much experience but I inquired about customer service employment in general since I would be managing customer the customer service department. I don't post on here to defend or argue, simply to post our personal experiences so far in Corpus.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
... That wasn't a bit offensive whatsoever...
Was it? Because obviously I care.

You people can blow smoke up people's a$$es all you want, but there really is no comparison. She would be doing her kids a great disservice by leaving Wisconsin for Corpus Christi, of all places. My opinion, and you know what they're like...

Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM

463 posts, read 1,291,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Over 35 years in customer service management and had my pick of 5 positions. Granted not everyone has that much experience but I inquired about customer service employment in general since I would be managing customer the customer service department. I don't post on here to defend or argue, simply to post our personal experiences so far in Corpus.
I'm not arguing either, but my wife has over 15 yrs exp. in customer service and she has yet to find a job. Most of the positions she sees are either VERY low paying or she does not get a interview. The interviews that she did get they asked her if she spoke Spanish, even though that was not part of the job posting . Maybe you have some idea's for her to find a customer service position ?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM

463 posts, read 1,291,911 times
I think for anyone considering moving to CC that all points should be taken. Instead of telling people that "your going to love it", it's better just to give your opinion. Then the person can decide on their own. I know I thought I would like it here before I got here, and I still thought that after being a short time. I didn't give much credence to the opinions from the people that were knocking the area. I truly wish I would have heeded their warnings. I learned my lesson and hopefully will be moving on eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi