U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM

37 posts, read 119,579 times

Advertisements

Thanks for information on schools...I have found that no matter where I look into moving (I have considered Florida and NC along with Texas) and you are more than right; the schools do not compare to WI schools. My boys (3rd and 5th grade) are already in some advanced math/reading classes and tend to be more with the advanced ciriculum; the last thing I want is to sacrifice their education.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM

37 posts, read 119,579 times
I am visiting the first week in October. Again, thanks to everyone who has posted on here and helped me think of things and reconsider things that I have forgotten. I honestly never thought of the bi-lingual job issue...so thanks for pointing that out; and yes - I do work. I work in the insurance industry as a processor (I do it all but sell the policies and underwrite them). And as for him moving here; he can't...he owns his own business and has joint custody of his son. His whole family is in TX (with me it's only me, my mom, and my two boys). Thanks again - and please keep the feedback and thoughts coming. As for the beauty of WI; you're right; it's beautiful - I have been to Alaska many times and that's the only state that I feel is more beautiful! So thanks again!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,761,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeralds52376 View Post
I am visiting the first week in October. Again, thanks to everyone who has posted on here and helped me think of things and reconsider things that I have forgotten. I honestly never thought of the bi-lingual job issue...so thanks for pointing that out; and yes - I do work. I work in the insurance industry as a processor (I do it all but sell the policies and underwrite them). And as for him moving here; he can't...he owns his own business and has joint custody of his son. His whole family is in TX (with me it's only me, my mom, and my two boys). Thanks again - and please keep the feedback and thoughts coming. As for the beauty of WI; you're right; it's beautiful - I have been to Alaska many times and that's the only state that I feel is more beautiful! So thanks again!
Let us know what you decide after your visit. I'll certainly be curious to hear. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,456 times
Visit the chamber of commerce for job and community info. What we did when we found a house or neighborhood we liked, we knocked on doors of 8 to 10 homes and asked how they liked Corpus and the neighborhood and if they had to sell tomorrow, what neighborhood would they move to. Asking adjacent neighbors was most revealing and made our decision where to buy and where not to buy and what issues are pressing to residents of Corpus.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM

5,359 posts, read 10,250,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeralds52376 View Post
Thanks for information on schools...I have found that no matter where I look into moving (I have considered Florida and NC along with Texas) and you are more than right; the schools do not compare to WI schools. My boys (3rd and 5th grade) are already in some advanced math/reading classes and tend to be more with the advanced ciriculum; the last thing I want is to sacrifice their education.
If you stand back and look at the school stuff from the broader map, the basic School Caution Zone is the Old South. Which also held their schools subject to Segregation.

Hit this map, and it will pretty much tell you the story, as still being played out today >>>

Image:Educational seperation in the US prior to Brown Map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some exceptions to that generalization when you consider some of the Northern Large City areas -- like parts of NYC, Chicago, Detroit and as we already observed, Milwaukee -- but the underlying value systems have not changed that much in some 100 plus years.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,761,369 times
I just wanted to add that if you do just a tiny bit of research into Appleton and Corpus, I think you would find some glaring differences between the two cities on the whole. I always assume that in relocating people want a move that will improve their quality of life. I just think this would be a backwards move for you, a step down... way down. When you visit, don't go there in vacation mode, or in romantic mode either, since the only reason you seem to be considering this is because of a long-distance relationship. Take off the rose-colored glasses and really consider what it might be like for you and your children to live there. Also, I know you might be tired of the bitter cold of Wisconsin, but don't underestimate the heat and humidity of Corpus Christi either!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,317,335 times
visiting there in vacation mode can definitely change your perception.

had i JUST done one simple thing....go to the places that i would be going to on a weekly basis-local grocery store, local Walmart, and take the time to REALLY get a "feel" for the people, the "pulse" of the area-NOT SHOP-but actually observe people in the aisles, in the parking lot, the register clerks. eat at a VERY local cafe. go to the local fillin' stations. go to the post office. go to the courthouse.
had i done those simple things, i would have not wasted one precious year of my life in South Texas. i would have definitely seen that i would not fit into the culture, and the folks werent the warm friendly country Texas folks that I am accustomed to and have lived around for so many of my years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I just wanted to add that if you do just a tiny bit of research into Appleton and Corpus, I think you would find some glaring differences between the two cities on the whole. I always assume that in relocating people want a move that will improve their quality of life. I just think this would be a backwards move for you, a step down... way down. When you visit, don't go there in vacation mode, or in romantic mode either, since the only reason you seem to be considering this is because of a long-distance relationship. Take off the rose-colored glasses and really consider what it might be like for you and your children to live there. Also, I know you might be tired of the bitter cold of Wisconsin, but don't underestimate the heat and humidity of Corpus Christi either!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,456 times
Default vacation mode

bellestaroftexas, you hit the nail on the head! I wonder how many people go on vacation or to a vacation area and decide they are going to relocate there because of their vacation experience. Our first 4 visits to Corpus we checked out everything as if we had already moved there, not as vacationers, matter of fact, we still have not been to the USS Lexington, the Aquarium or to the beaches on the island. We did exactly as you recommended, we went to grocery stores to check prices and service, we went to the 2 malls, we visited the Chamber of Commerce, we went to Ma and Pa businesses, I got a copy of the city comprehensive plan, we visited the library, city hall, 2 schools, Del Mar and TX A&M, we watched the local news we talked to people in the parks, on the streets downtown (inquired whats up with downtown CC) and visited neighborhoods and people out and about in those neighborhoods. I bet we know more about CC than most people who have lived there a long time. The last thing we wanted to do was pack up and move across country and build our retirement home and find out we hated Corpus. While you can't check out everything and you really don't know until you get there, so far we are delighted with CC. In addition, where you are in your life many times determines your satisfaction with an area. A person who is young and wants nightly entertainment wants something different than a family, middle aged person or a person nearing or in the retirement stage of their life. If I was fresh out of college or the military or beginning the climb on my career ladder Corpus probably would not have been the place for me, but with only 10-15 years left in my career world and looking at retirement and weather, Corpus is a good fit.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:02 PM

463 posts, read 1,181,611 times
Not to be sarcastic but.......you did all of those things before moving here and yet you still chose Corpus...wow.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,317,335 times
i have got to say, that's exactly what went through my mind too.
i reckon it just goes to show, there is some place for everyone. that being said, of course i am happy for anyone who has found their personal "paradise", a place where they enjoy living.
i also wanted to add, on top of my other recommendations on previous post on this thread, to make sure that one reads the local newspaper daily for a while, you can do that online for most places, even small towns. it gives you some clues to the "feel" for the town/city and its people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
Not to be sarcastic but.......you did all of those things before moving here and yet you still chose Corpus...wow.

Last edited by NOTAM; 09-05-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi