U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 AM

37 posts, read 119,559 times

Advertisements

Hello

It looks like I am moving to Corpus Christi from the bitter cold in Appleton, WI.

The man I'm dating lives in Corpus Christi; and he has asked that I consider moving there with my two boys. They are 8 and 10 years old. I have only been to Texas once - I flew in to Dallas to meet him for the weekend!!

I honestly have no idea what to expect when it comes to the city, culture, and 'must dos' :-)

I currently work in the insurance industry as a processor - I would like to find similar work...

Any ideas, suggestions - anything would be very helpful - thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 AM

304 posts, read 1,051,214 times
We moved to Corpus Jan 1, 2008 from Minneapolis, Minnesota and so far love it. Everyone has been welcoming, helpful and friendly. The city can be a little confusing at first but once you get the highways and main streets down, its all good. Corpus is laid back. We have adjusted to the weather nicely and you will find it is not as miserable as MN and WI often are during the summer months with high humidity, at least there is a breeze almost all the time in Corpus. Jobs are plentiful althought the pay scale is somewhat less than it was in Minneapolis but cost of living is so much cheaper that it is a wash as far as paychecks are concerned. So far we have not missed MN and everything we had and wanted in MN we have found in Corpus as far as shopping and dining is concerned. There are many non-chain resturants in Corpus with great food and service.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:33 AM

808 posts, read 3,369,130 times
First off, be prepared for humidity.

Secondly, Corpus is an oil town first, tourist town second, and agriculture town third. There's not much industry outside of those three sectors.

Your boys will love Corpus - they can tour the USS Lexington (WWII aircraft carrier), Texas State Aquarium (which now features a dolphin show), and they can go to the beach.

As far as the culture of the city, you're in for a bit of a shock. Corpus has a large Hispanic population, which will be very different from Wisconsin. The good news? You'll have better Mexican food than you've ever had before.

I don't know enough about what a processor does to tell you how your job prospects look, but I do know that there are many insurance offices in Corpus...just no regional headquarters or that sort of thing.

What part of the city are you looking to move to? That would allow me to give more specific info.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,722 times
Don't!!!!! Corpus is so behind every other city, they should get rid of every one the city council and replace them with younger people and then the city might improve some.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Corpus is not "behind every other city", however, the residents and the city council are more conservative and undecided on how to grow and at what cost. You will see more and more cities thinking twice about growth and change as costs escalate and tax payers voice their unhappiness with rising property taxes.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM

160 posts, read 587,389 times
Corpus is a city that basically gives you exactly what you see. To an extent, South Texas as a whole is this way. You have the good, the bad and the ugly, and a lot of times they are right next door to each other.

The culture of Corpus is part Texas oil town, part Gulf Coast shrimping/fishing port, and part Mexico. Your most prevailant race will be Hispanic.

City Council does not get on the ball and do anything at a fast rate. Most will complain about that one, but I see it as a blessing in disguise. Corpus is not ready to turn into another San Antonio, Houston, or Dallas-Ft Worth. While the rest of the state is all for change and growth, the most of us down here in "Little Mexico de Norte" like things to be more on a personal, down to earth, small town flavor.

A lot of things make Corpus seem like its cheaper living, but when you factor in the wages of South Texas with those slightly lower price tags on the commodities you are looking at, you'll understand why down here you typically have to work twice as hard as you would in the rest of the state.

If you go by the comments some others on City-Data have posted regarding Corpus, you would think its nothing but drive by's and murders. I'm not saying crime does not exist, but take 99% of those comments with a grain of salt.

Yes, one of the Corpus news stations has a "Gangmember of the Week" segment to their newscast. How bad is it? Typically the person featured is listed for nothing more than a simple parole violation of not reporting to their parole officer. It is all blown up and completely out of proportion to sell based off the Action moniker they call their news channel.

It is humid down here. Temps in the 90s are common in the summer. I can't say if you'll find it hot, tolerable, or miserable. I can tell you that I only start feeling hot above about 105, and below 80 and I pull out sweaters.

Thats the best quick run down I can give you about it. To experience it first hand is the only real advice I can give you on if it fits your needs/wants/desires. Visit, drive around, talk to the people, and just interact with the city. It should not take you very long to find out if its right for you or not.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 40,902 times
I agree that you will have to try it for yourself. I laughed about what goinghome2tx said about the gang member of the week segment. We had already noticed on the news that these "gangmembers' were wanted for petty crimes and the big "gangmember of the week" headline was misleading. I watch the local news regularly and unless they are just not reporting some major scrary crimes then I have to say the crimes are pretty basic and fall in line with what was reported in Lincoln, NE. I lived a year in Omaha which is bigger than CC and so crime stories seemed worse. I lived 9 years in Lincoln where crime is low to average and CC seems to follow along with what was happening in Lincoln for the most part.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Thats the ONE thing we miss about Minneapolis, the local news in CC is sooo small town. They have nothing to talk about so they make mountains out of mole hills. Then you have the weathermen who have nothing to talk about so they too make alot to do about nothing.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 119,559 times
Thank you to everyone who has left me some helpful, honest hints about moving to Corpus. As for what part...I'm honestly not sure. As for the culture; my boys are bi-racial - honestly - will that be an issue with such a hispanic culture? The neighborhood we live in now is pretty diverse; white/black/hispanic and many hmongs. The new in Appleton (WI) is pretty boring too; we have no crime to speak of; so I can relate to boring news and making mountains out of mole hills. As for my job, I work at a corporate office for one of the top insurance companies in america handling all ranges of insurance (processing, enrolling, posting). I would like to stay in that field or customer service....Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM

245 posts, read 739,972 times
Good luck with the move. You're going to love Corpus Christi. It's a great place to be. Laid back, casual and always something going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi