Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM

42 posts, read 176,460 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are moving to Corpus soon...(this weekend actually). For the time being, we are leasing a home until we get to know the area better and decide where to buy. We have found a great house on the Island that is actually on the water, so we're pretty happy with that.

We are moving for his job, so he (obviously) has already secured employment, but I will be looking for a job. I've found that it seems to be a fairly tight job market and the pay scale is much, much lower that what I'm used to. I was a bit surprised by this since we're just moving from Oklahoma City which is a low cost of living/low pay scale city too. So, I would love any and all help that those of you familiar with the area can give....It's a little daunting to job search without all of those contacts I've worked YEARS to build!

Additionally, while OKC is not a true hub of culture, diversity and fun....it IS quite a bit larger than Corpus, so I'd like advice on restaurants, events, etc. I know that any place is what you make of it (I actually enjoyed Wichita, KS for a year!) so, I'd like to hear all the insider scoop. We are a young (ish) couple in our early 30s and don't have any children yet. We love festivals of any kind...wine tasting, music, etc., outdoor activities and a nice place to pull up a bar stool and grab a drink. We enjoy all types of food...(can't wait to eat seafood that's actually fresh!) and have discovered La Playa (in Port A) for Mexican, Snoopys for fried seafood and a little vietnemese place on SPID. Are there any Indian restaurants (my favorite) and what fresh, healthy seafood places do you enjoy? We also love Greek and Lebanese food....what's available?

I know this is a lot, but I'm appreciative in advance for your insider information. (Say that 3 x's fast!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 25,127 times
If you happen to go by Imgleside you have to try Granny's tamales, in my personal opinion they are the best tamales in the surronding area.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Close to the island and a must for everyone just for the experience: Snoopy's Pier. It's underneath the JFK causeway. Ask any local for directions. Good seafood and right on the water.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Aladdin on SPID and Sultan on Staples both have middle Eastern food (and belly dancers!) Sadly, there are currently no Indian restaurants in town. There are lots of Sushi restaurants and Thai restaurants. My favorite Thai restaurant is Thailand on Saratoga, across from Gatti Town. You can get Greek food on Wednesday nights at The Torch on Alameda. If you haven't been yet, there's also a Sun Harvest grocery store on Airline and it's just about the only natural foods store. There's also a very small but very good farmer's market on Saturday mornings starting at 9 in the shopping center at Everhart and Holly.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM

24 posts, read 86,023 times
granny's tamales are the best tamales in the wide world....period. what does she do to those delectable things?!? we are thinking of infiltating the place and getting her secret recipe.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
be SURE to try the CAMPECHANO aka Mexican shrimp cocktail, served in large goblets at Cafe Maya (on Morgan Street-right across from Chistus Spohn Memorial Hospital) or La Playa or Kiko's. (Cafe Maya's is da best).
eat it with saltines, and you HAVE A MEAL. there is absolutely nothing more refreshing and delicious on a hot summer day.
one of the very few things i miss about my one year in South Texas.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 PM

160 posts, read 638,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Close to the island and a must for everyone just for the experience: Snoopy's Pier. It's underneath the JFK causeway. Ask any local for directions. Good seafood and right on the water.
Ahh! Its been years since I have been out to Snoopy's. I thought they closed up. Now I am going to have to make a trip to Corpus!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:10 PM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
Are you moving to Flour Bluff, escantrell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi