U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,539,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Sorry, but the news and the developers both stated that the Crosstown Commons project is going to be comparable to the shops at La Cantera.
In what aspect besides layout and possibly design? In no way would it be comparable to The Shops in what it offered. Sorry, it wouldn't.

Nordstorms, Nieman Marcus as anchors? No.

Tiffany and Co, Gucci, Bandolino, Hugo Boss, Metropark, Tous, Republic of Courture, Grimaldi's Pizzeria, Yardhouse, etc as tenants? No.

Quote:
Also, even though Crosstown Commons and the Outlets at Corpus Christi Bay were both to have started construction already a long time ago, both developers from both projects said they are still interested and are still intending on building the projects here. But they want to wait until the economy picks up...
I know plenty of developers and trust me, the chances of those two both being built is less than 1%. One of the two being built 5%.

Developers in this position say a lot of things, believe little.

Last edited by lemonfresh; 07-17-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,539,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I am pretty sure they meant in stores and in layout. But I am sure it would be on a smaller scale because I don't think CC can handle that many "high class" stores.
Gabe, seriously, there may be some tenants at the The Shops at may have opened at Crosstown Commons but it would have been the run of the mill retail stores at all large shopping centers have. Those being: Macy's, Dillards, Sephora, Coldwater Creek, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Bath and Body Works, etc.

In no way could the high end and upscale stores that The Shops have. McAllen (or better yet, the Mexican Nationals that McAllen relies on) would be able to long before Corpus and McAllen isn't able to either.

Don't get me wrong, it probably would have been a nice development especially for Corpus. It probably would have offered the same stores Corpus has with a few new entries to the city but not on the level of what The Shops at La Cantera have to offer.

The Shops btw, have been so successful, the developers have decided to build a huge new develop adjacent to The Shops. To be called The Town Center at La Cantera. It'll add another 200,000 square feet of high end retail. In total, La Cantera will have 1.5 million square feet of high end retail.

www.thetowncenteratlacantera.com

Cool map:

http://www.lacantera.com/map.html

Old 07-18-2009, 02:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,753,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
I know plenty of developers and trust me, the chances of those two both being built is less than 1%. One of the two being built 5%.

Developers in this position say a lot of things, believe little.
Exactly, I don't think either project will ever happen. I don't think the Crosstown Commons will happen due to the expansion and renovation of La Palmera Mall, previously Padre Staples Mall. I also don't think the Outlets at Corpus Christi Bay will happen either because of the stagnant growth in the area and the anti-growth mindset of a lot of leaders in the county and in the city of Corpus Christi. Not very many people will drive from within Corpus to the outlets when they have La Palmera right there. Therefore it would only be Calallen, Robstown, Odem, Kingsville, Alice, and a few other small towns to support the outlet mall. And that definetly isn't enough. Maybe once Calallen grows quite a bit more and when 77 is interstate ready then maybe the area can support another mall.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 1,180 times
This is an old thread, but I'm sure people still look at these for information, so I'll give my 2 cents:

My Background: Grew up in a small central valley town in California. Lived in Southern CA from 1995-2001. Lived in Tulsa, OK from 2001-2013. Lived in Corpus Christi in 2013-present.

Thoughts on Corpus Christi:

Best thing about Corpus is the people. The people here are very friendly--will look you in the eye and say hello. They tend to be conservative and hard-working. I will say that of all the places I've lived, the people here are refreshingly friendly. That's not to say there aren't any bad eggs, because of course, there are bad people everywhere, but on the whole, they just seem friendlier. That being said, there is still some crime (mostly theft), but I have never felt in danger anywhere in Corpus.

Worse thing about Corpus--the weather. We moved here in August of 2013, and when it was still in the 90's in November, I started asking people when it starts to cool down. Some said, December; some said, January. If you like heat for about 8-9 months of the year, this is the city for you. And it is very, very windy here. I hate it. Much more windy than any place I've lived. However, it does help make the heat in the summer months a little less miserable.

Things to do: There are some touristy things to do, and you can look those up on TripAdvisor, but once you've lived here, you'll get the feeling that there's nothing exciting or even interesting about living in Corpus.

Shopping: They just built an Outlet Mall a few miles out of Corpus proper (Robstown), but as of 2017, not all the shops are open yet. There is only one main mall in Corpus, the La Palmera Mall. If you like a little more upscale shopping like Ann Taylor, Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman Marcus, you'll have to drive to Houston, or maybe San Antonio. The most upscale we have here is Dillards.

Schools: We live in a suburb called Calallen. The schools here seem pretty good. You can look on greatschools.org for test scores. My teenagers are not the super student type, but they do take all AP classes. They seem to be happy, and are doing well. And I'm happy because the schools seem to keep politics out of the classroom. Overall, Corpus is not a bad place to raise a family, but it does have quite a few negatives, in my opinion, which I list below.

Healthcare: Subpar at best. Most doctors I've encountered have not inspired confidence, and some have made me scared that medical schools are giving degrees too readily. My husband and I are of a medical/science background, and we happily drive to San Antonio or Houston for any major medical care. I don't think I would let a surgeon in Corpus operate on me, except maybe my gynecologist. I would never want to grow old in Corpus, simply from the lack of good doctors. I was told that there is a personal injury lawyer that tries to sue doctors for anything and everything, so many of the best doctors have left.

Reasons I would advise people to NOT move to Corpus:

1) Property taxes. Our house was $260,000, and we pay about $7000 per year in property taxes. This seems very high to me. Maybe not compared to New York or DC, but still seems high.

2) Roads are TERRIBLE. I've never seen so many potholes throughout a city. It's like the city government members hire their incompetent friends to fix roads, and the "fix" fails in a matter of weeks. It's really, really bad. I have to have my car aligned yearly. And I've never had my windshield cracked by rocks thrown up off the road before we moved here. In Corpus, everyone has cracked windshields. My husband and I have several cracks in both of our car windshields.

3) No nightlife. If I wanted to go out to a club to dance, I can't think of anywhere I'd go.

4) No aesthetic value at all. There is no cute downtown area to go walking and window shopping. No beautiful parks to go walking or running. Corpus is an UGLY city.

In summary, move here if you love the heat and high taxes, and don't mind living in an uninteresting, ugly town with potholes everywhere. But don't forget the friendly, hard-working people--that alone can make up for some of the negatives.

Last edited by anngepp; 07-28-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,646,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anngepp View Post
This is an old thread, but I'm sure people still look at these for information, so I'll give my 2 cents:

My Background: Grew up in a small central valley town in California. Lived in Southern CA from 1995-2001. Lived in Tulsa, OK from 2001-2013. Lived in Corpus Christi in 2013-present.

Thoughts on Corpus Christi:

Best thing about Corpus is the people. The people here are very friendly--will look you in the eye and say hello. They tend to be conservative and hard-working. I will say that of all the places I've lived, the people here are refreshingly friendly. That's not to say there aren't any bad eggs, because of course, there are bad people everywhere, but on the whole, they just seem friendlier. That being said, there is still some crime (mostly theft), but I have never felt in danger anywhere in Corpus.

Worse thing about Corpus--the weather. We moved here in August of 2013, and when it was still in the 90's in November, I started asking people when it starts to cool down. Some said, December; some said, January. If you like heat for about 8-9 months of the year, this is the city for you. And it is very, very windy here. I hate it. Much more windy than any place I've lived. However, it does help make the heat in the summer months a little less miserable.

Things to do: There are some touristy things to do, and you can look those up on TripAdvisor, but once you've lived here, you'll get the feeling that there's nothing exciting or even interesting about living in Corpus.

Shopping: They just built an Outlet Mall a few miles out of Corpus proper (Robstown), but as of 2017, not all the shops are open yet. There is only one main mall in Corpus, the La Palmera Mall. If you like a little more upscale shopping like Ann Taylor, Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman Marcus, you'll have to drive to Houston, or maybe San Antonio. The most upscale we have here is Dillards.

Schools: We live in a suburb called Calallen. The schools here seem pretty good. You can look on greatschools.org for test scores. My teenagers are not the super student type, but they do take all AP classes. They seem to be happy, and are doing well. And I'm happy because the schools seem to keep politics out of the classroom. Overall, Corpus is not a bad place to raise a family, but it does have quite a few negatives, in my opinion, which I list below.

Healthcare: Subpar at best. Most doctors I've encountered have not inspired confidence, and some have made me scared that medical schools are giving degrees too readily. My husband and I are of a medical/science background, and we happily drive to San Antonio or Houston for any major medical care. I don't think I would let a surgeon in Corpus operate on me, except maybe my gynecologist. I would never want to grow old in Corpus, simply from the lack of good doctors. I was told that there is a personal injury lawyer that tries to sue doctors for anything and everything, so many of the best doctors have left.

Reasons I would advise people to NOT move to Corpus:

1) Property taxes. Our house was $260,000, and we pay about $7000 per year in property taxes. This seems very high to me. Maybe not compared to New York or DC, but still seems high.

2) Roads are TERRIBLE. I've never seen so many potholes throughout a city. It's like the city government members hire their incompetent friends to fix roads, and the "fix" fails in a matter of weeks. It's really, really bad. I have to have my car aligned yearly. And I've never had my windshield cracked by rocks thrown up off the road before we moved here. In Corpus, everyone has cracked windshields. My husband and I have several cracks in both of our car windshields.

3) No nightlife. If I wanted to go out to a club to dance, I can't think of anywhere I'd go.

4) No aesthetic value at all. There is no cute downtown area to go walking and window shopping. No beautiful parks to go walking or running. Corpus is an UGLY city.

In summary, move here if you love the heat and high taxes, and don't mind living in an uninteresting, ugly town with potholes everywhere. But don't forget the friendly, hard-working people--that alone can make up for some of the negatives.
This is a good and insightful post. However, most people are going to read the first post and then comment about moving from Albuquerque or talk about the type of Mexican food we have here. I suggest that you start a new thread about "reflections on living in CC after 3 years" or something similar and ask the mods to move this post there. You raised some good topics for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi