U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,718 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job in Corpus Christi and need to decide very soon. I have read more negative comments than positive ones concerning CC. Outside of Boating, Fishing, and overdosing on Mexican Food, what is there to do in CC?

I heard that electric bills can be high. I would be interested in living in the Flour Bluff school district.

Will you car rust-out living on the Island?

BTW I am not into Fishing/Boating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 PM

808 posts, read 3,372,534 times
1) Mexican food is a different style. Don't expect to be asked "red or green" when you order enchiladas.

2) There's the beach on Padre Island, several touristy things including the Texas State Aquarium and the USS Lexington, several minor league sports teams, etc.

3) Electric bills will be high...check into them.

4) The Flour Bluff school district is good.

5) Your car won't rust out if you keep it clean and well-maintained...but it's harder to do that in a humid, salty climate than it is in the dry climate of Albuquerque.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,718 times
I just read this on another post. Hottest city in the US!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS TRUE!!!!!

"The weather down here is nothing like Seattle. The only time its cool down here is November-Feburary. During the summer its hot and very humid. As a matter of a fact, Corpus Christi is the hottest city in the U.S. with heat indicies included. During the summer, the months of July-September the heat indicies average up to 110 degrees during the day time and 90 degrees during the night. Not to say that it doesn't get cold down here, because sometimes, it does. We get sleet about once a year. Its very light though when we do get it. Nothing big to shut the city down. It will freeze about 3-10 times a year. Every once in a while it wont get about 32 degrees all day. When it snows, if you even wanna say it does, its just a flurry or two. No accumulation. About once every two-three decades we will get a snow storm. In christmas eve-christmas morning of 2004, the city itself got 4 1/3 inches of snow. Out here in Calallen we got 11 inches at my house. But its super rare that it would happen. Anyways, in the summer dont expect the tempature to drop below 73 degrees until October. In the winter it can be cold, but its nothing like up north."

Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 PM

808 posts, read 3,372,534 times
One survey, published about a year ago, proclaimed Corpus Christi the hottest city in the US due to its combination of heat and humidity. That being said, there is usually a nice breeze that helps make it a bit more bearable.

During the summer, CC experiences lower highs and higher lows than does Albuquerque. This is due to the difference in humidity in the air. That being said, CC may feel hotter during the day due to the high humidity.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,324,037 times
OMG stay in Albuquerque..and I hate to even say that, as much as I love the greatest state in the union, Texas...I love Texas, am full of Texas pride, and will never ever move out of this state again. But if I had to decide between Corpus Christi TX or Albu, NM...there would be no question....I would move to the Land of Enchantment and have to leave Texas

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 PM

160 posts, read 587,861 times
Corpus isn't for everybody. If you think you will be bored or not satisfied with her from what you have read on here, then I can almost promise you would hate living there.

I try to look at things as objectively as possible and avoid letting emotion cloud my perspective on it, while others here will swing both ways on the subject. You've read the good, you've definately read the bad, so you know going into it that its not really the hub of the entertainment industry, and everything is laid back and slower paced.

If you can't find anything that caters to your hobbies/interests in any posts listed regarding Corpus, most likely, she will not entice you.

Given your question about cars, I am going to make an assumption that you probably have an interest in the classic/collectors/specialty automotive field. If this is true, then I think Corpus might disappoint you. There is an element of it there, but its not very prevailant from my observations.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:16 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,799,775 times
To many, Corpus is a nice city. Also to many, Corpus is not their cup of tea, so to say. Personally, many people that have moved here love it. I myself, personally, love CC. Its not the most exciting city in the world, but it has all of your necessities and has plenty of extra things to do as well.

There are plenty of things to do here, but most are not advertised. If you are into sports there is minor league baseball: Corpus Christi Hooks, AA affiliate of the Houston Astros at Whataburger field which can seat 5,250 people with an addition of 2,500 in the grassy berm areas. There is also the Corpus Christi IceRayz of the Central Hockey league who play in the American Bank Center, which is a 10,000 person arena. The arena also attracts a lot of comedians concerts, and conventions. There is also the Corpus Christi Sharks, The AF2 team who plays in the American Bank Center as well. We also have another Arena football team, the Corpus Christi Hammerheads of the IFL who play in the Robstown Fairgrounds which seats 2,500 people. We also have a Division I College basketball team. The Corpus Christi Islanders made the NCAA tournament in 2007 for the first time. They play in the American Bank Center as well. We also have a new baseball team who play in the Robstown Baseball Field, Im not sure what the field is really called, but they are called the Corpus Christi Beach Dawgz.
As you can tell, I am a sports fan but that is not all Corpus has to offer.

If you are into shopping, there is currently one mall, the Padre Staples Mall, but that is to change soon. The Crosstown Commons is about to start construction on Greenwood soon which will be an outdoor lifestyles center comparable to the La Cantera shopping center in San Antonio. I think in the fall, an outlet mall will be constructed along highway 77 next to the Robstown Fairgrounds. The first phase will include 80-100 stores, 1,000 jobs, and several lots for restaurants and hotels. After the first phase is complete, the second phase will begin which will just about double the size of the outlet mall. Another shopping area is the Moore Plaza, its not a mall or a outlet, but it has a lot of shops, restaurants, and grocery stores along it. Another good area for shopping and development is on the South side along Saratoga Blvd.

The northwest area of Corpus Christi is soon to be the next "S.P.I.D." of Corpus, the main shopping corridor in the city. The first phase of I-69 is to run from Brownsville to Corpus Christi changing US highway 77 to the new I-69. Construction is supposed to start soon I think. Once this happens, personally I think and many other people I have talked to believe a lot of growth will occur in the area. Once I-69 is constructed I think Corpus will no longer be "hidden" and will explode with growth and the economy will quickly grow. Once again this is just a personal opinion and prediction.

If you are an outdoor type person, there are limitless things for you to do in CC. Anywhere from hunting to fishing, hiking to swimming, taking a scenic walk along the downtown bayfront to wind surfing. bird watching to camping in the great outdoors. There are plenty of things for you to do in this category.

As for crime, people love to exaggerate. We average 2 murders a month and the only time you will hear a drive by is if you are in the Greenwood area or on the west side or the north side, known as "the cut" by some locals. Other than that, the city is safe. The only time you have to be worried about getting shot or robbed is if you are in those areas or if you are involved in drugs or gangs. Living here for 18, personally, nothing has ever happened to me. My girlfriend's house got robbed one time, but they aren't in a good area of town. Other then that, you shouldn't have anything to worry about here.

Now for the weather. It can be miserable in the summer with the humidity. It is not as hot as Central and West Texas, but the humidity makes it feel just as bad. Usually, being assumed the windiest city in the country, we get a nice sea breeze all summer long to keep us below 100 degrees. If you live along the water, there aren't very many times you will get out of the upper 80's. This includes Flour Bluff and the bay front. From the bay front to the extreme northwest side of the city, there is usually a 10 degree difference in temperature. When they predict the high will be 95, that is usually at the airport which is 12 miles from the ocean. Along the beach it would probably be anywhere from 85-88 degrees. Its always nicer along the shore. Except during hurricanes. But you don't really have to worry about them, they are extremely rare.

During the winter Corpus probably has some of the best weather conditions in the country. Average highs in the upper 60's and our coldest average low is in the upper 40's. 48 to be exact. That is not to say that it never gets cold. Some days it wont get above freezing, but thats only like one or two times a year. Generally speaking, it freezes anywhere from 2-20 times a year at best. The past several years it has sleeted, but very lightly. It generally happens in the early evening hours if and when it does. This can happen 0-5 times a year. Nothing usually freezes over though. I have heard a person from Minnesota and a person form Montana say that 40 degrees here feels like 20 degrees there. This is because of the humidity and the dew points in the air which makes our air feel much colder and "heavier" than further up north. The only times it gets really cold here is when we get strong Canadian cold fronts. Those are the ones that usually makes us freeze and get a really cold rain or sleet. Other then that, usually October, November, March, and April are just stunning! 70's during the day and mid 50's at night. After cold fronts there will be no humidity and we get that very refreshing "crisp" air and a cold wind.

I think that is about it, if you have any more questions just ask. Corpus is a beautiful city, but its just not for everyone. If you are indeed worried about your cars, I would recommend the NW side of the city in Calallen or Annaville where I live. We dont really get much salt in the air out here. And we have everything you need out here. The main part of Corpus is only a 15 minute drive and depending on which beach you want to go to, its only 10-30 minutes of a drive.

Other than that, I hope I gave you a better perspective of the city. Its really a "hidden jewel".

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 AM

12,782 posts, read 17,768,712 times
Default Albuquerque or Corpus Christi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkor View Post
I was offered a job in Corpus Christi and need to decide very soon. I have read more negative comments than positive ones concerning CC. Outside of Boating, Fishing, and overdosing on Mexican Food, what is there to do in CC?

I heard that electric bills can be high. I would be interested in living in the Flour Bluff school district.

Will you car rust-out living on the Island?

BTW I am not into Fishing/Boating.
As a native Texan who has their primary home in Albuquerque and one who once worked for several months in Corpus Christi, I have to say there is very little comparison. Albuquerque has mountains, snow and unbelievable weekend scenery around it but most of all Albuquerque has low humidity and incredibly low property taxes (in comparison with almost all Texas municipalities).

And you had asked about rust. The time I was in Corpus, it had an unfinished Federal Building which had rusted to a condemed status. It may have been removed by now.

However as one who has had to live and work where I could make a living, I will have to add, go where the money is but save for a future move. I once had to move from beautiful New Mexico to New Orleans where I worked out of an office in the French Quarter.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 19,898,930 times
I once had to move from beautiful New Mexico to New Orleans where I worked out of an office in the French Quarter.

Oh lordy. You poor thing.

I had to move to Jackson, MS, for a temporary assignment (the things we do for money, LOL!!)....and I'd drive to NO airport some weekends. It was a nightmare that seemed to last forever, and NO would have been just as bad or worse.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-11-2008 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM

12,782 posts, read 17,768,712 times
Default New Orleans or New York City! A toss-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oh lordy. You poor thing.

I had to move to Jackson, MS,
Yes, I spent four years trying to get out of New Orleans. Sometimes I'm not sure I would do it again until I think about where my other job offer had been; New York City!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi