U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,795,826 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

Wow Columbus, Georgia was rated above Plano? It had to be the MOST RACIST and RUDE place I've ever lived in my life and I've lived in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I *know* that the two of the largest employers there have difficulty hiring and retaining people from other parts of the country and are looking to offshore (something the founders would NEVER do of these companies) because they can't keep people from large cities or small hick towns...the place just sucks.

I think the cities that rated high definitely had good press kits going out because I know a lot of people who live in Hawaii and HATE the school system there as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 17,197,192 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Wow Columbus, Georgia was rated above Plano? It had to be the MOST RACIST and RUDE place I've ever lived in my life and I've lived in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I *know* that the two of the largest employers there have difficulty hiring and retaining people from other parts of the country and are looking to offshore (something the founders would NEVER do of these companies) because they can't keep people from large cities or small hick towns...the place just sucks.

I think the cities that rated high definitely had good press kits going out because I know a lot of people who live in Hawaii and HATE the school system there as well.

could you give some examples of some of the racist things that go on in columbus, ga? who are the employers that you refer to, out of curiosity?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM
 
Location: #
9,600 posts, read 15,185,633 times
Reputation: 6305
I lived in Chicago. We moved to Houston in part because the overall quality of life in Houston is better. This article states "They want to raise their children somewhere safe, where they can attend good schools with favorable student-teacher ratios, above-average test scores and respectable budgets. Plenty of museums, parks and pediatricians also contribute to a good quality of life, whereas multihour commutes, expensive houses and divorcing friends and neighbors do not." Houston is safer than most every major city, has above average test scores, housing is cheap and health care is some of the best in the country. HOW IN THE HELL DOES HOUSTON NOT EVEN MAKE THE TOP 100? Another side note: I graduated from Naperville North High School. The schools are outstanding without a doubt however it is about the most classist, white-bread place in America. I wouldn't want that for my daughter. Naperville should not be 17.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
196 posts, read 594,573 times
Reputation: 113
crbcrbgv...Houston does not make the grade because it is actually in the top 10 most crime ridden cities of the nation...seriously....not making that up...I do agree with you on the health care...Houston is top notch for that
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,795,826 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
could you give some examples of some of the racist things that go on in columbus, ga? who are the employers that you refer to, out of curiosity?
I can't tell you the employers names because my husband could get in trouble for that, but there are like 4 top ones out there and it wouldn't be hard to figure out

But let's see racism was both ways and LOTS of classism, I guess that's the word. I mean from things like people BEING ASKED to leave because they weren't the right color or not being served at restaurants. Just stuff that floored me. Now I grew up primarily in New Orleans and Orange County, California--so to me this stuff was just NOT done and NOT something I was used to. The "good ole' boy" network sure works there and outsiders are NOT welcome. I lived in several other states as an adult and NEVER have I felt so unwelcome. Our cars were both in hit and runs within DAYS of being there. My mom's car and my best friend's car (both rentals as they flew out at different times) ALSO. Most of the transplants I met that had been there for 20+ years told me "if you are here after about 10 years people start to accept you" TEN YEARS? Um no. We are NOT religious and my daughter was told IN PUBLIC SCHOOL that they would pray for her IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE 3RD GRADE at an assembly because we didn't do church. My oldest is mixed race and people were terribly concerned over WHAT race he was and WHAT people he can and cannot hang out with. There is a big divide over there that I experienced, blacks stayed with blacks; whites stayed with whites and if you were from out of state or a military (they treated military men badly) you are out of luck. I had seen on several occasions soldiers and their visiting family waiting for a table and passed over by people coming in, at places WITHOUT reservations, such as Outback or Olive Garden for presumably natives. One of our best friends also started working there at the same time as my husband. He is a black guy from NYC. He was treated REALLY shottily and he said it was obvious the white guys were intimidated and scared of him. He left and went to Atlanta to be closer to his daughter around the time we left.

It's really hard to explain I guess but over my 13 months there I saw things I had previously only read about or seen in movies (I'm around 40).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,494 posts, read 13,323,279 times
Reputation: 1391
agreed that though i dont like Corpus, it's certainly not the WORST place to raise a family. i am sure i could find tons of cities that i know must be worse in many ways.
and yes, i stand by Hawaii public schools being very bad-the only schools worth anything are the private ones e.g. Kamehameha Academy etc...so, just like anything in Hawaii, you have to have LOTS of money to live a quality life in any respect
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
 
Location: #
9,600 posts, read 15,185,633 times
Reputation: 6305
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
crbcrbgv...Houston does not make the grade because it is actually in the top 10 most crime ridden cities of the nation...seriously....not making that up...I do agree with you on the health care...Houston is top notch for that
Then how are Fort Worth, Chicago and Los Angeles ranked ahead of Houston?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Hudson, OH
674 posts, read 2,128,495 times
Reputation: 937
So, El Paso rates higher than Fort Worth and McKinney?

And Dallas doesn't even make the list?

Sometimes the math just doesn't add up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 17,197,192 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
I can't tell you the employers names because my husband could get in trouble for that, but there are like 4 top ones out there and it wouldn't be hard to figure out

But let's see racism was both ways and LOTS of classism, I guess that's the word. I mean from things like people BEING ASKED to leave because they weren't the right color or not being served at restaurants. Just stuff that floored me. Now I grew up primarily in New Orleans and Orange County, California--so to me this stuff was just NOT done and NOT something I was used to. The "good ole' boy" network sure works there and outsiders are NOT welcome. I lived in several other states as an adult and NEVER have I felt so unwelcome. Our cars were both in hit and runs within DAYS of being there. My mom's car and my best friend's car (both rentals as they flew out at different times) ALSO. Most of the transplants I met that had been there for 20+ years told me "if you are here after about 10 years people start to accept you" TEN YEARS? Um no. We are NOT religious and my daughter was told IN PUBLIC SCHOOL that they would pray for her IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE 3RD GRADE at an assembly because we didn't do church. My oldest is mixed race and people were terribly concerned over WHAT race he was and WHAT people he can and cannot hang out with. There is a big divide over there that I experienced, blacks stayed with blacks; whites stayed with whites and if you were from out of state or a military (they treated military men badly) you are out of luck. I had seen on several occasions soldiers and their visiting family waiting for a table and passed over by people coming in, at places WITHOUT reservations, such as Outback or Olive Garden for presumably natives. One of our best friends also started working there at the same time as my husband. He is a black guy from NYC. He was treated REALLY shottily and he said it was obvious the white guys were intimidated and scared of him. He left and went to Atlanta to be closer to his daughter around the time we left.

It's really hard to explain I guess but over my 13 months there I saw things I had previously only read about or seen in movies (I'm around 40).
you're right. i would not have guessed that any place in the states could be that bad. i have an account with aflac credit union and talk on the phone with some of their tellers. i remember seeing something in the news about columbus blacks and whites having their senior prom together for the first time ever. they said that many of the white kids were very resistant to the idea, stayed away and continued to have their own whites only prom. it seems odd that "the military" would be so disrespected. that area of the country always seem to be militaristic, pro-bush fans etc.
in your experience, is atlanta any better? how much better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 2,795,826 times
Reputation: 202
Wehotex I've never lived in Atlanta, I have visited and have friends who moved there from various states and all of them like it. They always refer to Columbus as "that place you drive through to get somewhere" or worse, but most of them have only visited and never lived there (except for a few that moved to Columbus and immediately within weeks to a year to Atlanta or back where they came from). Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top