Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Advertisements

They don't explain why, but here is the list of the best & worst.

I can't say that I disagree. The educational system as I recall was an utter mess. I also remember the illiteracy & teen pregnancy rates being really high too. Not to mention there not being anything cultural & lack of diversity in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
The list is crap. It looks like they just went and picked out random cities. Waco,Tx higher than Flint,Mi!?!? I rest my case.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
oh sheesh. what genius did this study? Honolulu as #1 best place? no way. my nephew is the product of the State of Hawaii school system. when he graduated two years ago, his grammar, writing, vocabulary, spelling skills were on the level of almost an elementary school student on the mainland. his teachers would say "how much days before Christmas" instead of "how many days before Christmas" and used pidgin constantly. ok, i can see interjecting a little "da kine" here and there, but to use it to the point where the students dont have a role model on how to properly speak English, IN THE EVENT the child wants to get a job on the mainland and has to be interviewed for a job!!!
on the other hand, i can see how Corpus was voted the worst.

Last edited by NOTAM; 08-11-2008 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
Belle - I know that you didn't like South Texas, and I agree that Corpus is definitely NOT the best place to raise a family, but it's not in the 10 worst either. In addition to the cities listed as worse than Corpus, these would be worse than Corpus, too:

Camden, NJ
Durham, NC (they have it as one of the best, because they lumped it with the rest of the Raleigh area)
New Orleans, LA (want to talk about a bad school system?)
etc. etc. etc.

Look past your biases and see that Corpus, while not being a great place to raise a family, is not the worst.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
...his teachers would say "how much days before Christmas" instead of "how many days before Christmas" and used pidgin constantly. ok, i can see interjecting a little "da kine" here and there, but to use it to the point where the students dont have a role model on how to properly speak English, IN THE EVENT the child wants to get a job on the mainland and has to be interviewed for a job!!!
on the other hand, i can see how Corpus was voted the worst.

Properly speak English? Texas/Southern English, esp Black English -- many thumb their noses at it and call it improper or uneducated. And yeah, it sounds downright dumb at times, but in reality they are true dialects called Southern American English and African American Vernacular. A Hawaiian or even Caribbean way of speech is still a dialect like ours.

Also, if they are qualified candidates, sure they may have trouble finding a job on the mainland in monotonously homogeous & unmotivated small towns where people are frightened of anything that's different. But I really don't think this would be much trouble in the big cities.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM

196 posts, read 640,623 times
Never thought I would be defending Corpus since I can't stand the place BUT after reading through this list I would have to disagree with the poll and come to Corpus defense. I have listed 3 places below that just off the top of my head are much worse then Corpus in my opinion and they were listed as much better.

Los Angeles, California ranked as the 12th best place to raise a family? Are they mental or what?! Lets see. High crime, more crime, tons of illegals, pollution, insane cost of living., crazy traffic...oh..did I mention crime?

New York City?! Crime and high cost of living.

Chicago?! Crime, crime, crime

I would have to agree with bella...Hawaii school system sucks. It does not matter how much you spend per student. It is how you utilize your budget.

Last edited by welltravelled; 08-11-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Los Angeles, California ranked as the 12th best place to raise a family? Are they mental or what?! Lets see. High crime, more crime, tons of illegals, pollution, insane cost of living...oh..did I mention crime?

New York City?! Crime and high cost of living.

Chicago?! Crime, crime, crime
Uh, have you actually lived in these cities, or at the very least visited them to come to that conclusion?? Well, I have lived in them (2 of them actually) & I have also lived in Corpus.

I can tell you that NYC & Chicago are amazing cities if you do them right. That would mean not trying to get off cheap & live in the slums. You'll pay more sure, but you can also be able to go without a car (which these days is pretty much like a mortgage payment in itself). Chicago for what it is is VERY affordable, especially for being a first rate city.

And Corpus?? Yeah, they got crime too. Lots of it, for being the size city it is. It may not be in the top 10 worst places in our minds, but it ain't far off. I wouldn't consider it in a million years to raise kids in. NYC & Chicago I definitely would & for good reason.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM

304 posts, read 1,127,271 times
Educational system a mess? Nothing cultural and lack of diversity? Please explain your comments further.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM

196 posts, read 640,623 times
Yes. KerryB. I have lived in those cities. LOVED the food in New York but that's about it. Chicago. Did not like anything but the food once again. It might be that larger cities are not my cup of tea eithier.

Did you notice that I said that I can't stand corpus? I don't like it at all. I was just mentioning three cities I think are worse that were rated better. Just my opinion.

Can we agree on Los Angeles?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Educational system a mess? Nothing cultural and lack of diversity? Please explain your comments further.
Do I really have to explain that? I mean, I will if you want me to, but honestly now. Isn't this pretty much apparent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutarian View Post
Yes. KerryB. I have lived in those cities. LOVED the food in New York but that's about it. Chicago. Did not like anything but the food once again. It might be that larger cities are not my cup of tea eithier.

Did you notice that I said that I can't stand corpus? I don't like it at all. I was just mentioning three cities I think are worse that were rated better. Just my opinion.

Can we agree on Los Angeles?
Its OK. Some people dont dig on cities like that. I honestly didnt care for NYC too much either. I like big cities, but that was TOO big. Places like Chicago & DC are more my style. Big, but not insanely big. I felt like it would take me years to learn NYC. DC I learned in a couple months.

Yes, LA does suck. I hate almost everything about it. The only places I'd personally ever live on the West coast are San Fran, Portland & Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi