U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:10 AM

553 posts, read 872,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Dismiss this:

Man who killed mother with hammer sentenced to life in prison - Caller-Times
Rate this post positively

Old 10-11-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
WOW this is an old thread come back to life . I did move to Seattle nearly 4 years ago when I said I thought I would and love it . FINALLY a place where I fit in .I live right on Puget Sound ,,yes its cooler than Port A and Rockport but it is truly beautiful up here and I have decent healthcare at a reasonable rate . I commute a lot also to LA and have wonderful times. I should have done this 30 years ago. So much to do and see . NO regrets , NO more police bullying . I am free.

Saddened to hear about the situation in Aransas and Rockport but I've been hearing similar from my grown kids ( in their 20's) They all live in Houston or Austin now but miss their beloved Port A. and visit friends in the area a lot.
Love the screen name, DutchessCottonPuff. Another one that got away!

Since it opened in 1998 I've performed at Seattle's Benaroya Hall four times. The last two trips I drove directly from Seatack to Ivar's Acres of Clams, Alaskan Wy, location, for their creamy thick clam chowder
and seafood platter. The Coastal Bend has absolutely nothing to compare with Seattle's seafood.

Following Benaroya Hall I went to Vancouver B.C. a mere 2.5 hour drive on I-5 N. That has to be one of the most beautiful international border crossings in the world and B.C. is my kind of city! The only reason I'm living in Texas is my old mother and what little family I have left are here.

Not to miss is Filsons: Seattle | Filson The best outdoor men's store, imo, in the U.S.A

Just down the block from Ivar's on Alaskan Way is "Ye Olde Curiosity Shop." In the 80's I bought a reproduction of "CHIEF SEATTLE'S 1854 ORATION" for a few bucks and latter had it framed. It's hung on on my walls ever since.

Version 1 (below) appeared in the Seattle Sunday Star on Oct. 29, 1887, in a column by Dr. Henry A. Smith.

"CHIEF SEATTLE'S 1854 ORATION" - ver . 1

AUTHENTIC TEXT OF CHIEF SEATTLE'S TREATY ORATION 1854
Yonder sky that has wept tears of compassion upon my people for centuries untold, and which to us appears changeless and eternal, may change. Today is fair. Tomorrow it may be overcast with clouds. My words are like the stars that never change. Whatever Seattle says, the great chief at Washington can rely upon with as much certainty as he can upon the return of the sun or the seasons. The white chief says that Big Chief at Washington sends us greetings of friendship and goodwill. This is kind of him for we know he has little need of our friendship in return. His people are many. They are like the grass that covers vast prairies. My people are few. They resemble the scattering trees of a storm-swept plain. The great, and I presume -- good, White Chief sends us word that he wishes to buy our land but is willing to allow us enough to live comfortably. This indeed appears just, even generous, for the Red Man no longer has rights that he need respect, and the offer may be wise, also, as we are no longer in need of an extensive country.

There was a time when our people covered the land as the waves of a wind-ruffled sea cover its shell-paved floor, but that time long since passed away with the greatness of tribes that are now but a mournful memory. I will not dwell on, nor mourn over, our untimely decay, nor reproach my paleface brothers with hastening it, as we too may have been somewhat to blame.

Youth is impulsive. When our young men grow angry at some real or imaginary wrong, and disfigure their faces with black paint, it denotes that their hearts are black, and that they are often cruel and relentless, and our old men and old women are unable to restrain them. Thus it has ever been. Thus it was when the white man began to push our forefathers ever westward. But let us hope that the hostilities between us may never return. We would have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Revenge by young men is considered gain, even at the cost of their own lives, but old men who stay at home in times of war, and mothers who have sons to lose, know better.

Our good father in Washington--for I presume he is now our father as well as yours, since King George has moved his boundaries further north--our great and good father, I say, sends us word that if we do as he desires he will protect us. His brave warriors will be to us a bristling wall of strength, and his wonderful ships of war will fill our harbors, so that our ancient enemies far to the northward -- the Haidas and Tsimshians -- will cease to frighten our women, children, and old men. Then in reality he will be our father and we his children. But can that ever be? Your God is not our God! Your God loves your people and hates mine! He folds his strong protecting arms lovingly about the paleface and leads him by the hand as a father leads an infant son. But, He has forsaken His Red children, if they really are His. Our God, the Great Spirit, seems also to have forsaken us. Your God makes your people wax stronger every day. Soon they will fill all the land. Our people are ebbing away like a rapidly receding tide that will never return. The white man's God cannot love our people or He would protect them. They seem to be orphans who can look nowhere for help. How then can we be brothers? How can your God become our God and renew our prosperity and awaken in us dreams of returning greatness? If we have a common Heavenly Father He must be partial, for He came to His paleface children. We never saw Him. He gave you laws but had no word for His red children whose teeming multitudes once filled this vast continent as stars fill the firmament. No; we are two distinct races with separate origins and separate destinies. There is little in common between us.

To us the ashes of our ancestors are sacred and their resting place is hallowed ground. You wander far from the graves of your ancestors and seemingly without regret. Your religion was written upon tablets of stone by the iron finger of your God so that you could not forget. The Red Man could never comprehend or remember it. Our religion is the traditions of our ancestors -- the dreams of our old men, given them in solemn hours of the night by the Great Spirit; and the visions of our sachems, and is written in the hearts of our people.

Your dead cease to love you and the land of their nativity as soon as they pass the portals of the tomb and wander away beyond the stars. They are soon forgotten and never return. Our dead never forget this beautiful world that gave them being. They still love its verdant valleys, its murmuring rivers, its magnificent mountains, sequestered vales and verdant lined lakes and bays, and ever yearn in tender fond affection over the lonely hearted living, and often return from the happy hunting ground to visit, guide, console, and comfort them.

Day and night cannot dwell together. The Red Man has ever fled the approach of the White Man, as the morning mist flees before the morning sun. However, your proposition seems fair and I think that my people will accept it and will retire to the reservation you offer them. Then we will dwell apart in peace, for the words of the Great White Chief seem to be the words of nature speaking to my people out of dense darkness.

It matters little where we pass the remnant of our days. They will not be many. The Indian's night promises to be dark. Not a single star of hope hovers above his horizon. Sad-voiced winds moan in the distance. Grim fate seems to be on the Red Man's trail, and wherever he will hear the approaching footsteps of his fell destroyer and prepare stolidly to meet his doom, as does the wounded doe that hears the approaching footsteps of the hunter.

A few more moons, a few more winters, and not one of the descendants of the mighty hosts that once moved over this broad land or lived in happy homes, protected by the Great Spirit, will remain to mourn over the graves of a people once more powerful and hopeful than yours. But why should I mourn at the untimely fate of my people? Tribe follows tribe, and nation follows nation, like the waves of the sea. It is the order of nature, and regret is useless. Your time of decay may be distant, but it will surely come, for even the White Man whose God walked and talked with him as friend to friend, cannot be exempt from the common destiny. We may be brothers after all. We will see.

We will ponder your proposition and when we decide we will let you know. But should we accept it, I here and now make this condition that we will not be denied the privilege without molestation of visiting at any time the tombs of our ancestors, friends, and children. Every part of this soil is sacred in the estimation of my people. Every hillside, every valley, every plain and grove, has been hallowed by some sad or happy event in days long vanished. Even the rocks, which seem to be dumb and dead as the swelter in the sun along the silent shore, thrill with memories of stirring events connected with the lives of my people, and the very dust upon which you now stand responds more lovingly to their footsteps than yours, because it is rich with the blood of our ancestors, and our bare feet are conscious of the sympathetic touch. Our departed braves, fond mothers, glad, happy hearted maidens, and even the little children who lived here and rejoiced here for a brief season, will love these somber solitudes and at eventide they greet shadowy returning spirits. And when the last Red Man shall have perished, and the memory of my tribe shall have become a myth among the White Men, these shores will swarm with the invisible dead of my tribe, and when your children's children think themselves alone in the field, the store, the shop, upon the highway, or in the silence of the pathless woods, they will not be alone. In all the earth there is no place dedicated to solitude. At night when the streets of your cities and villages are silent and you think them deserted, they will throng with the returning hosts that once filled them and still love this beautiful land. The White Man will never be alone.

Let him be just and deal kindly with my people, for the dead are not powerless. Dead, did I say? There is no death, only a change of worlds.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 PM

288 posts, read 492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Well that's pretty easy.
1. This has nothing to do with the pre-teen with gangbanger fantasies that the poor person was worried about after reading a post from someone with terrible grammar.
2. Mental illness is terrible, and when they outlawed sanitariums, they simply put these people on the street, where they stop taking their meds and become ill again.
3. Obviously better gun laws would have done nothing to prevent this. Perhaps we need hammer laws as well.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Well that's pretty easy.

1. This has nothing to do with the pre-teen with gangbanger fantasies that the poor person was worried about after reading a post from someone with terrible grammar.

2. Mental illness is terrible, and when they outlawed sanitariums, they simply put these people on the street, where they stop taking their meds and become ill again.

3. Obviously better gun laws would have done nothing to prevent this. Perhaps we need hammer laws as well.
Au contraire, not so easy. I'll provide an alternate view later. You might find it has everything to do with a pervasive under-culture which I'll put a name on later. Have more fun things to attend to now.

Btw, I don't think Granny Fats really believed what seemed like some 14 year-old ratchet girl's headbanging fantasy. Rockport is mostly about money. In fact, Rockport is loaded with Winter Texans. Locals tolerate them, but don't love them. The saying goes "they come to town with one pair of underwear and a $20 bill, and don't change either of them the whole time they are down!".

I gave Granny my best shot - Seadrift.

From a very old pmail:

"
In planning the trip I'd avoid going through Houston at all cost. Driving through Dallas I'd also avoid. That will save a lot of time. I'd say come through San Antonio, maybe spend the night and take I-37 towards Corpus and take the Sinton cut-off and go in Rockport the back way.

I hope he has reservations for his RV. It's often sold out and packed in Rockport. If so I'd check with John here:
Fulton Bed Breakfast Inn Texas Lodging Rental Accommodation Lamar Peninsula Aransas Wildlife Refuge Tell him to tell John at the Habitat, Doug an I, suggested he phone him in case he needs to find a place nearby. John and his wife know damned near everything "Rockport"'

There's a lot to see in the area and it's quite historic and international. Many multi-millionaires have resort homes on Key Allegro with some super fine yachts. My Westy wasn't hitting on $hit! :-) I played the Yacht Club on Key Allegro...in the 1980's dem' fancy womens got me fired years ago! It seems I was taking more than my fair share....WHATEVER!

There is a maritime museum and aquarium that explains the local fish, bay systems, sea grass, etc. There is a large artist community with small galleries and big prices, Art is big time, believe it or not. There are also some very nice prints for a few dollars that frame well. Food and restaurants run the gamut. There is an o.k. Vietnamese/Chinese place on Fulton Beach Road I like " Hu Dat" and the "Boiling Pot" has/had excellent Cajun food for years. "The Big Fisherman" and "The Back 40" are well liked local Texican places. I recommend the Back 40 for an excellent breakfast. There is a nice new large H-E-B, Symphony by the Sea ( Martha Luigi Auditorium ) brings in great talent. This time of year is Christmas on the Bay, all the boats are strung with lights. They have a big boat night parade that's outstanding in good weather. Lot's of Snowbirds and a huge center for birding in general. Not to forget the Farmer's Market on the quay. There is an excellent fish market with fresh seafood/shellfish flown in daily, monk fish tails, lobster, scallops and clams. You'll find a good wine selection and unusual imported foods. Do not let the local cops catch you with a D.W.I.... the most serious county in Texas in this regard and watch for deer at night along the highways.

North on Texas 35 some 35 miles is the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. Get there early with the birds and have lunch in Seadrift on the quay at the Seadrift ( No-Fault ) Cafe for a lunch special. Seadrift is Rockport's poor ugly sister but the people are genuinely friendly...it's a little Norman Rockwell sorta' place, lost in time. You drive around the dogs sleeping in the road. Big time duck hunting and local fishing launch site. Nearby is Swan Point and park, sometimes great wade fishing. It's one of those working class towns with a bit of bright happiness about it..... if it's not rainy and overcast in winter. It's a little town of many moods not always detected by the passer-by. Everybody is some body in Seadrift. It has a nice bay front and everything ( BBQ pits, covered picnic areas, and benches ) is free. If you stood on the quay and looked across San Antonio Bay to the right you'd see the point I owned. I could see the lights of Seadrift at night from my place. Keep in mind, by road, my place was 20 miles south of Seadrift, by water, 30 minutes in a fast skiff. Seadrift has excellent oysters and fishing can be awesome for the Big Three, Redfish, Flounder and Trout. In the winter fish move to the dark colored shorelines to feed.....dark bottoms heat up faster. I used a gold or silver spoon with a frim tip rod to work the spoon....maybe 8 pound test with a short shock leader...redfish can be toughies!

West another 20 miles is Port O Conner: Port O'Connor Texas. Great boat launch but his boat is too small and under powered for those fast currents unless he stayed close to the coast line. You can take an auto ferry from POC to Matagorda Island and be on the Gulf of Mexico in a heartbeat, There's not much to recommend in Port Lavaca. Inland and south of the Seadrift, is the two-lane highway to the old historic town of Goliad:
City of Goliad - City Living Not to miss in Goliad is: Presidio La Bahia - Goliad, Texas The cafe on the corner of the square is excellent. This is cowboy country, big ranching, good people.

South of Roackport some 15 miles is Aransas Pass...don't bother stopping, continue driving 15 minutes until you hit the ferry to Port Aransas. Go here: Deep Sea Headquarters - The Best Deep Sea Fishing on the Texas Gulf Coast. Captain Kelly's Deep Sea Headquarters, Port Aransas, Texas This is hard core sport fishing and always a good story...TAKE dramamine!!! I've won the jackpot three times, because I took dramamine. The sports didn't need it and were throwing up over the side....chumming for me! I recommend the Tarpon Inn, historic and great food.

Ask your friend to pick a book up for you while he's in Port Aransas. My old Uncle Florida Roberts wife wrote a book about him, my mother's side of the family. It's by Eda May Roberts called "The Stubborn Fisherman". He can find a copy at the South Jetty office. That side of the family were poor Florida Crackers who moved to Port A during the 20's. Uncle Florida was one hell of a fisherman and tarpon guide with some very unusual skills. You'll laugh, I had some gentic help in the hands and feet department. He had the music inside him. I thought about sending you a copy years ago but a copy never last long in my hands. You know about the shoemaker's children...never have shoes.

Port "A" has really grown, it's big time now, with it's own little nooks and grannies of interest.

You might explain to your friend, this part of Texas is not lush and inviting or even picturesque but it has a harsh beauty that's timeless and lots of rest if you get off the road. There's as much rest as there is sand. right in the middle of Rockport. Friends visit and sleep saying it's just so restful here. Tell him to try fishing in Little Bay early in the morning and just sit out there casting for trout and watching the hundreds of waterbirds fishing with him. A side note, watch the tides and the pelicans.... the instant a bait moving current comes so do do the pelicans. The place I refer to in "The Simple Life" is St. Charles Bay, right across Copano Bay causeway on the right, on the north shoreline to the tiny town of Lamar, and turn right into Goose Island State Park. Go to the north shoreline and note the St. Charles Fishing and Hunting Club. Go down the road until he sees the barbwire fence, park and put out there. Be careful and don't wear waders in the boat..... it's a soft bottom, should he get out of the boat you can get stuck with waders or God forbid, slip and get water over the top of the waders..... turns you upside down and drown. On hard bottoms always shuffle your feet...sting rays are bad news. I got hit by one... it will make you cry!

That's what comes to mind. Any questions just ask.

http://gulffishing.com/gcc981.html"

Off to my Grumblecakes and Cheaties now!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:36 PM

334 posts, read 503,595 times
I always appreciate reading what locals/former locals/thoughtful persons say! It sure is helpful to myself and for anyone who happens across these threads on C-D. Although I just keep going round and round and round about moving to somewhere greener. These days, with employment so weird and housing weirder, it's good to get as much information as you can.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:39 PM

16,781 posts, read 43,445,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
No need to, that was not even in Rockport. That was in Nueces County, Rockport is in Aransas County. Regardless some crime happens anywhere, one murder does not amount to a crime wave, nor is it proof of a larger problem. It is certainly not proof that criminal gangs are everywhere in Rockport as the Poboy211 was claiming.

Looking at the crime statistics for Rockport there were zero murders in 10 of the last 12 years listed.

//www.city-data.com/city/Rockport-Texas.html

Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 AM

[quote=CptnRn;36881595]No need to, that was not even in Rockport. That was in Nueces County, Rockport is in Aransas County. Regardless some crime happens anywhere, one murder does not amount to a crime wave, nor is it proof of a larger problem. It is certainly not proof that criminal gangs are everywhere in Rockport as the Poboy211 was claiming.

Looking at the crime statistics for Rockport there were zero murders in 10 of the last 12 years listed.

My point is a little deeper. I intend to fully explain it and you may have just unwittingly helped me. It is difficult to articulate for sure. I had no intention of going into to this tonight . . .I have bigger concerns:

"So first it was Iselle, two weeks later it became The Lava, Saturday it was a 4.1 earthquake near Naalehu on Mauna Loa (Kiluea's 'parent' volcano), now were are back to another hurricane - what the hell is going on on this island?? Let me get this straight - you want me to jump into my 17 foot kayak and row to the mainland - directly through Hurricane Ana, 750 miles from Hilo right now.... That kind of logic is why all the cool stuff is owned by men (although I will give you that there are lots and lots of guys who would pick up that gauntlet and start provisioning their 'yaks for a long ocean voyage in high seas).

In brief, I have a place on the Big Island, about 2 miles from the lava flow that "Open D" on C-D Hawaii Big Island keeps Punatics updated on daily. If the lava hits highway 130, it's almost 70 miles to town the backway.

So, I said to myself who is this CaptRn who loves data and what kind of architect is he? I just read a bit of your profile and it didn't take long . . .I stopped at the Funky Chicken Coop. You are a confessed data addict and then you mention "Juniperus ashei." For the time being let me say, I have a general interest in architecture. My house/place was sited on a large acreage and designed as per my drawings. Construction project management was conducted by a grad. student on a daily basis. In short, contractors could do nothing if either he or I were not on site.

To my point, you like data, statistics and metrics. I do too but it often depends on the processing of facts
we come to differences.

You wrote: "No need to, that was not even in Rockport. That was in Nueces County, Rockport is in Aransas County. Regardless some crime happens anywhere, one murder does not amount to a crime wave, nor is it proof of a larger problem. It is certainly not proof that criminal gangs are everywhere in Rockport as the Poboy211 was claiming."

I said "Dismiss this." My point is deeper. I'll address that point, which I think is important, in the next day or so. In the meantime, this also goes to my point:

Judge William Adams, suspended for beating his cerebral palsy daughter, returns to the bench | Daily Mail Online

William Adams, Texas Judge Who Beat Daughter On Video, Returns To Bench

Thanks for the Funky Chicken Coop. It triggered more empirical evidence for my case.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:

Well that's pretty easy.
1. In a follow up post I may disabuse you of that notion.

2. Disturbing findings in wake of 'fight club' at a state school ...

Abuse At Texas Institutions Is Beyond 'Fight Club' : NPR

NPR Abuse At Texas Institutions Is Beyond 'Fight Club'

Disturbing findings in wake of 'fight club' at a state school - Houston Chronicle

3. Conjecture.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 AM

288 posts, read 492,106 times
I'm still lost. Nobody said "don't believe anything on the internet"
There is no good answer for what to do with the severly mentally ill. The state schools are geared towards the mentally retarded though.
Bad stuff happens everywhere. Even the Garden of Eden (citation needed).

Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I'm still lost. Nobody said "don't believe anything on the internet"

There is no good answer for what to do with the severly mentally ill. The state schools are geared towards the mentally retarded though.
Bad stuff happens everywhere. Even the Garden of Eden (citation needed).

Look back to page 8, post 79. CaptRn "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

Sure, bad stuff happens everywhere. My point, with regard to Granny Fats, all things considered, Seadrift is/was a happy, kinder-gentler sorta' place.

I'm working out a couple of post in my mind . . .thinking~ One for Granny and this one about how a wannabe gang-banger in Rockport and the severely ill murderer in CC are similar, it's just a matter of degree.

For Granny, I might suggest John Steinbeck, he spent a lifetime novelizing the stories of people moving on under extremely untenable conditions. Granny likes "Information" and we are surrounded with data, information's and particulars. It's the Information Age . . .but it the end, It All Depends. The trick is rounding up your dogs and cats.

Most everything we read here is an opinion. I don't take everything everyone post here at face value. Yes, I know some information's we may find will be fact based, but as a rule this is not a forum for experts on anything other than their own opinions. This is a world of facts, facts we can release or withhold. You can polish the shoes of this fact, put a mustache on that fact and cut the throat of yet another, you just can't create them. An informed opinion is based on knowledge of the facts and carefully considered principles, critical thinking. It relies on evidence instead of limited personal experience. Generally the original source is considered the most reliable, it's the most complete and we can judge the evidence (citations needed) for ourselves.

I C U one: Garden of Eden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And raise you to the limit of the pot: The Tree of Life (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

“A public opinion poll is no substitute for thought.” Warren Buffet

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” John. F. Kennedy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi