U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 AM

232 posts, read 946,158 times

Advertisements

I got a job offer to move to CC yesterday...67K a yr....

Any info on the area would be great....

especially from someone who love's the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 AM

13,671 posts, read 30,383,607 times
Well, I can't say I love the area, but there are lots to like about it. I am an ocean person at heart and don't mind a little wind and humidity. Have you been down there for an interview in person? It all kind of hinges on your first impression, imho. The salt, wind, and sun leave the whole are kind of 'faded' looking, which some people do not like. I don't mind at all, it kind of contributes to the quiet pace of the area.

If you don't like cold, it is also great. Rarely freezes, or even gets close. good amount of rain, but in short bursts as opposed to constant drizzle. Lots of tourists in the area, but not overwhelming, I don't think.

I suspect that 67K will go a long way in CC, I don't think the housing costs are that high, although insurance is probably a little higher than inland. You ARE quite a ways from everywhere, it seems sometimes, but it is not a bad drive up to San Antonio for a change of scenery.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,600,667 times
Shawn,

I don't know if it will be easy to find someone who really LOVES the area, but I have visited and I can share my impressions of the city with you-- there are good and bad aspects of living there.

Good:
-Low cost of living: You could live like a king on that salary and afford to buy a really nice home quickly.
-Pretty scenery on the Gulf shore, and near beach resort areas like South Padre Island
-Great if you don't like the cold.

Bad:
-The main industries are the military and oil refining, which makes the city a cultural vacuum and quite stinky, respectively.
-Beaches are trash-strewn and people are actually allowed to drive on them.
-Lots of unattractive low-level and far-flung urban sprawl with virtually no downtown.
-Has the attitude of one of those cities where everyone who has the ability to leave does so.
-Miserable summer weather
-High crime rate
-In Texas

Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,466,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Shawn,

I don't know if it will be easy to find someone who really LOVES the area, but I have visited and I can share my impressions of the city with you-- there are good and bad aspects of living there.

Good:
-Low cost of living: You could live like a king on that salary and afford to buy a really nice home quickly.
-Pretty scenery on the Gulf shore, and near beach resort areas like South Padre Island
-Great if you don't like the cold.

Bad:
-The main industries are the military and oil refining, which makes the city a cultural vacuum and quite stinky, respectively.
-Beaches are trash-strewn and people are actually allowed to drive on them.
-Lots of unattractive low-level and far-flung urban sprawl with virtually no downtown.
-Has the attitude of one of those cities where everyone who has the ability to leave does so.
-Miserable summer weather
-High crime rate
-In Texas

LOL.. I got out of there at age 14 and haven't looked back!

Not entirely true though. I grew up in the area, in the small bedroom community of Portland. Lived there from age 3 to age 14.

The summer weather is less miserable than many other Texas cities, because there is a sea breeze.

I agree on faded and stinky but there is, as in most cities, a hidden artsy underground. You just gotta dig for it. And not all of the area smells bad.. just parts of it.

My mom LOVES the area. The only reason she moved is because I moved first (long story) and she followed me (I was in high school)... she'd go back in a heartbeat. When I was growing up she was very involved with the arts scene in CC and we spent EVERY weekend at the beach. She loved the smaller city feel.

Portland is a decent option if you are looking for a small community close to CC and have children and you're fairly mainstream. It's about 10 minutes from downtown CC. I'll be glad to tell you all about it if you're interested. *I* wouldn't live there, but that's because I am ultra-liberal, not-religious, gay, and don't care one bit about high school football... but lots of people love Portland for the same reasons I hate it.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-13-2007 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: possible advertising :)

Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the great info....We are ultra Liberal as well. So a Mainstream thing really isn't us. We like funky older homes....mid century modern stuff.
You seem pretty cool...thanks again.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:44 PM

16,084 posts, read 38,078,308 times
Downtown seems full of potential though.. quite a few large banks there.. Wells Fargo and a few others. Must be some regional headquarters for them?

I liked the feel of the downtown.. although, it was very quiet.. seemed to be waiting until the summer time i guess? is that when it gets busy with tourists?

I was just there last weekend (Feb.12th).

Old 02-13-2007, 05:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 13,116,436 times
If you like MCM, I actually think you'll have better luck finding something cool in CC than in Austin, There are great little pockets of MCM and earlier deco stuff just off of Ocean Drive.
Zip, I believe is 78412.

Here'e my review from another thread on CC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I lived in Corpus Christi for a few years in the late 80's.
I lived out on the island (North Padre) and here are my impressions:

Would be a great place to retire. Hot and humid, but also constant breeze (that helps!). Very water-centered lifestyle. World class sailboarding. Lot's of San Antonio and Houston folks with weekend homes and big boats. Cocktails at 5 are standard.

In town, the drive along the bay is lovely! The downtown area was kind of...dead...when I lived there, but there was an excellent art museum (for a city of that size) and a later a new aquarium. Hopefully, with all of that "progress" they didn't tear down all of the cool deco and MCM architecture (???anyone know???).

I eventually left; as a young widow with a toddler, it was just too "old" of a crowd for me.
Good luck!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 AM

Thanks alot Plaidmom....

I love the MCM homes...that's exactly what we are looking for.
I will have my Agent check it out. Seems like you can't beat the prices in CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi