Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 58,189 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Corpus Christi? Now that I know it's too far from San Antonio to simply drop by, I'm looking for things that make it able to stand on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,486 times
It's a small town by the Gulf, but I've only heard good things about it.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baked bean View Post
Can anyone tell me about Corpus Christi? Now that I know it's too far from San Antonio to simply drop by, I'm looking for things that make it able to stand on its own.
It's not that far... We've been out there twice since moving to SA and both trips were fun in there own ways, except the last time was just a day trip and it was lot of time in the car. We were there for New Years Eve day and the town was DEAD!!! The beach was still busy, a comfy 70 degrees out and we did get wet, the beach is reason enough for me to make the trip. The downtown area was completely empty which we found surprising. The museum was fun, but my husband said the Aquarium was not, he said Seaworld was better. I imagine living there would be very relaxed and slow, peaceful is my guess.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
It's a small town by the Gulf, but I've only heard good things about it.
It's not that small, it has metro population of 400k

Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,325 times
Check out Mustang Island National Park just south of Corpus Christi. That's were I like to go.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I was just there last weekend. Quiet.. very quiet.. it was a weekend.. beaches were empty (too cold) and downtown was really quiet.

looked like the downtown was setup for tourism.. must be in the summer months that it gets going.

i found everything next to the ocean looked REAL nice in Corpus.. but driving there along the highway.. way too many refineries pumping out the pollution right when you are coming into the city.. a strange introduction to the place.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 AM

12 posts, read 58,189 times
I do love winter beaches (cold and uncrowded), and small town sounds about right, 400,000 pop notwithstanding. The comment about the refineries is a bit concerning, though. The description of "faded" makes sense, considering the sun-salt-and-wind factors -- that one is not entirely unfamiliar either. Thanks, everyone.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 AM

232 posts, read 995,072 times
Hey Baked...Are you moving there ?
I may be moving there myself.
I have a few friends that live there and they seem to really like it a lot.
Since I'm a big beach person...and scuba diver...I think I'm going to love it.
Looks like SA isnt that far away...

Old 02-14-2007, 09:33 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
A scuba diver? Noooo! Who woulda guessed .

Btw, scuba diving right off the coast is pretty minimal. There are some excellent diving trips (on the MV Fling and the MV Spree) to the Flower Gardens reef, but I think they leave out of Freeport (which is quite a bit north of you - maybe 200 miles?). Locally, there is some oil rig diving, which can be quite fun (and rough, sometimes).

If you really want a deal, check out one of the charter trips to Cozumel from SA or Houston (I have used Funjet extensively). You can get really good deals for all inclusive (food, alcohol, airfare, and lodging - not diving) for about the same price as a trip on the Fling or the Spree.

If you have any scuba questions, let me know...although I am more familiar with Mexico and Central Texas than the gulf coast.

Edit: Just looked....no Coz 'hot deal' trips out of SA or Houston right now, they are all to Cancun...bummer. The ones out of DFW are $480 for 4 nights all inclusive. I suspect the Houston/SA ones will be similar when they have some listed (they change all the time).

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-14-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 PM

232 posts, read 995,072 times
Thanks Train....If you ever need a dive buddy let me know...I may try to volunteer at the Texas Aquarium too.!!!!
By the way...I accepted the job in CC !!!!
Can't wait to get to Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi