Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 15,207 times

Advertisements

I recently found out that I'll be moving to Corpus in January for an 8-month job assignment with my company. I've started scouring craigslist and other sites for apartments, but I wanted to find out the best areas to look. I'm not too picky. I'm looking for something that's not ridiculously priced and that has the necessary ammenities.

I'm in my 20's and single. I love the beach and want to do some kayaking while I'm down there. I also like going out to bars and watching sports. I'm an Astros fan, so I plan on hitting up Whataburger Field quite a bit as well. I just wanted to know the best area for a young, single, active person to get the most out of Corpus since I'll be there for the whole summer.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,387,513 times
Well you are coming just in time. The Astros are going to come to Corpus to scrimmage the Hooks at Whataburger Field on April 2nd. If you would like to see that it would be a good idea to order tickets asap. because it will sell out before too long.

Anyways, to answer your question: The southside of town is nice. Just make sure its south of SPID you look at and anything after Weber and eastbound. Saratoga Blvd. has nice apartments there, as well as ones on Staples St. I forgot what they are called though. 3 nice areas to consider other than the Southside are:

Portland- Very peaceful. Everything you need. No crime.
Just minutes from downtown CC
Right along the beach.

Flour Bluff- Minutes from the beach.
Right by the main shopping corridor in Corpus aka S.P.I.D. (South Padre Island Drive). That is where most of the city life is.
Quickly developing part of the city.
About 5 miles from the island.

Calallen- Suburb of Corpus even though it is within the city limits. Very peaceful. No crime.
All of the necessities in a close proximity.
30 miles from Lake Corpus Christi.
12 miles from downtown and the beach.

I dont have any recommendations on a particular apartment complex, but the four areas above, Southside, Portland, Flour Bluff, Calallen, would be the best areas to look at. If you have any questions then please ask. Hope you like it here when you arrive.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info, Gabe. It says tickets go on sale in March, so I'll be sure and grab some for the Astros-Hooks scrimmage.

I believe I will be working in the Ingleside area, but I don't mind a little drive to work if the living areas are better and have more to offer. Are all of these areas within a reasonable morning commute to Ingleside?

I guess ideally I would like to be within walking distance of the beach, but I doubt I could find that for a reasonable price. Know any good places to kayak? Like one of the bays or something?

Old 10-25-2008, 04:16 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,387,513 times
Corpus Christi Bay is real nice to go kayaking in. Waves are a little lower thanks to the island. Portland isn't a bad commute to Ingleside. Plus its only 5 minutes away from downtown Corpus Christi. Its right along the bay. And its only a 15 minute drive to the main shopping corridor in Corpus, SPID. I'd say that would be the best area to look. But Portland does tend to be a little pricier than Corpus. If you wouldn't mind traveling a little more extra the southside of town would suit you nicely. Maybe even Calallen by Rand Morgan or Mckenzie Rd. The good thing is if you choose to live in the city, your commute will be mostly on highway.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,608,308 times
Where are you going to be working? If I were single and in my 20's I'd either look on the Island or one of the new complexes on the Southside. There are also some brand new apartments that are almost downtown that look great. I don't know anything about how much they rent for or how many neighbors you'd have, but you'd be two blocks from the bay and close to the little bit of nightlife that is downtown. I can't remember their name or street address, but I'll check tomorrow or so and let you know.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,608,308 times
The downtown apartments I was talking about above are called the "Bay Vista Apartment Homes" and you can google them.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM

808 posts, read 3,634,431 times
If you are working in the Ingleside area, are you working at one of the plants? The plants are clustered along highway 361 between Portland/Gregory and Ingleside, and during shift changes, the traffic on that road can be bad (not stop-and-go, but bad for Corpus standards, which is to say that you probably won't be able to go 70 down the road).

If I were working at one of the plants, I would only look in Portland or Ingleside. Portland is more desirable because it has slightly more amenities and is closer to downtown Corpus. Gabe is right though - if you do choose to live in the city, all you are doing is adding another 15-20 minutes of highway driving, with little to no traffic issues.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 175,868 times
I would not move to Portland or Ingleside if I were in my 20's and single. My husband and I are early 30's and live on the Island. The only other place in the area we would consider is the downtown/Lamar Park area. Perhaps when we have children, we would be willing to make a different choice, but if you're going to be here for 8 months only, I would look at a condo on the Island (there are plenty of affordable ones and you're always 3 minutes from the beach) or in downtown (close to all of the "town bars", ballpark, Bay, etc). Portland IS nice, but it's mainly (from what I've seen) filled w/ soccer moms and mini vans.....probably not what you're looking for!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM

808 posts, read 3,634,431 times
Yes, Portland is family-oriented and lacking in nightlife. Same for Ingleside. Good point, escantrell.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I will be working at an engineering/construction yard over in Ingleside. However, being young and single I would prefer to be closer to the night life and beach. I don't mind a little extra drive to work. I know it will still be a thousand times better than Houston traffic.

I'll check out those apartments you suggested, Marlow. Please feel free to throw out any others you guys may know of. I've been searching craigslist, but am trying to look elsewhere for condos/apts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi