Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times

Advertisements

...None of the high schools in Corpus has a day care! The colleges do though. And the only reason Corpus's average age is 34 is because there are a lot of really young kids. But, there are a lot of old people. Corpus is kind of like a retirement city for winter Texans. So they average out to about the age of 34. Only parts of Corpus you will find poverty are on the Northside and on the West Side... Anything west of Weber Rd. I believe the poverty rate is right under 14%. You make it seem like poverty is all over the city. But not really.

One thing I will agree with you on is the obesity! Man does Corpus have a problem with that. Everywhere you look it seems like there are people resembling the Micheline Man, Pillsbury DoughBoy, and the Koolaid Man. It is sad. That is the only complaint I have for the city.

Even though the refineries are not pretty, they aren't close to any of the interesting parts of town or where anything is, They help the port being the 5th busiest in the Nation, and it helps keep our gas prices 20-50 cents below the national average all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
if you find out what counties in the Panhandle voted that strongly for McCain, please let me know. i would love to consider living there someday.
though my county of had over 5800 votes for McCain vs 1200+ for Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Gabetex go to the state demographics site - you have spouted all sorts of inaccurate info and I have pointed it out over the last few weeks with sources.

. Corpus has a young population and young populations grow internally as opposed to in and out migration ( you know what that means right)
Corpus not only has a young population but as you should know by now CC high school students are pregnancy prone and there are day care centers at some of them. The highest pregnancy rate in Texas is Brooks County not far south but Corpus is up there. Loving County, by the way has the lowest teen pregnancy rate 0 - why? because there is only 1 teen between the age of 15 and 17, however if she went to Corpus or Brooks on spring break she might make Loving the teen pregnancy capital of the world.

This does not mean I'm putting corpus down. It has some great qualities such as, along with Buffalo, the least traffic of any major city, nice winters and plenty of beach. Most people are friendly and helpful. Its cheap to live. On the other hand, it has ugly and nasty refineries, lots of poverty and low educational attainment. Like many Texas cities it is near the top of the nation in Obesity.

I write articles on demographics and there's a host of interesting stuff around if you do the research.

Right now I'm still wondering about the 5 counties in Texas that went over 91% for McCain, including one that was 93-6 McCain v Obama- 4 of those counties are near the top of the panhandle.

You are correct about Calallen - it has quality growth and Corpus annexed it after a court battle ending I think 1960.. Good point! but dont forget the areas of corpus that many have fled ( staples and The Cut). The Cut is really fascinating however I'll save that for another time.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I heard Lubbock Was strong for McCain.

Belle here is a map..

2008 Texas presidential election results (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/interactive_sm/11/2008_texaselection.html - broken link)

Mouse over each county to see the percentage.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Bellestar -Roberts and Ochiltree are among the two highest. Bye bye Bellestar - hope you really mean it - have fun with the cows. Housing is cheap as most people with any sense have left- that part of Texas has the highest losses in population- if they don't have internet yet there do send us all a card!

Gabe Hispanic families usually have a more children than Anglos- this isn't either a positive or negative comment its just a fact. Corpus has had a large Hispanic population for quite some time- people of all ethnicities in the 18-25 age group have lots of children.

OK Gabe I got off my lazy ass so to speak and will present a link to the data

2007 Total Population Estimates for Texas Metropolitan Statistical Areas (http://txsdc.utsa.edu/tpepp/2007_txpopest_msa.php - broken link)

Corpus MSA has grown 2.9% between 2000-2008 compared to the state as a whole of 15.6% in other words the state has grown more than 5 times faster than the CC MSA. Even worse you should know that Rockport - Portland and Aransas Pass have grown fast and so you would have to subtract that growth and you will really see that Corpus has NOT grown significantly. On that same page you can see of the 24 Texas MSAs. We are near the very bottom, even Odessa has grown twice as fast (that's after scorpion and rattlesnake deaths).

Now do I have to get off my lazy ass once more and break down the CC area to prove what I'm saying or are you content?

At least we agree on obesity. Between the downturn in the economy and the upturn in my prospective dates bellies, I can't afford to feed them. There's always Golden Corral, but what if they don't want to leave?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Ok I know population wise the city isn't growing much, but the way you put it in the last post was that you were saying that the reason the city is growing at all is because teens are having babies. Which is not true. I think the reason the actual city isn't gaining much population is because a lot of sub divisions being built outside the city limits. For instance, there are subdivisions being built along FM 624 in Calallen, but that is not within the city limits. Also subdivisions are being built south of Oso Creek, which is also not within the city limits. There aren't any subdivisions being built on the west side or along SH 44 because why would anyone want to live in those area's at this point. I think the reason for Corpus's stalling growth is due to the fact that they wont let anything develop and make anything that develops hard to do so. There for that turns businesses away from the city and to elsewhere. That is why the valley is growing so rapidly.

Either way, Corpus is growing. Slowly but surely.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM

Also Gabe point out the fact that he did.. areas like Portland and Rockport and Ingleside are growing.. Yes they are not Corpus, but they might as well be.. with the exception of Rockport.. kinda far off.. but these other cities are growing and many of the people work in Corpus but live in these other areas. So the reports that Corpus are not growing are jaded.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:07 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Gabe - the data I gave you was the MSA - maybe I should have written it out for you METROPOLITAN STATISTICAL AREA. That means those areas outside the city limit are already taken into account. Gabe you seem interested in demographics - why not read and study up on it because your posts are embarrassing for their lack of knowledge.

You don't need to be a math scholar for this IF Rockport and Portland have grown 10% since 2000, and Aransas Pass 6% ( those arent the actual figures but close) and areas outside the city limits just past Calallen have grown rapidly, as well as some of the unincorporated areas near portland etc - then knowing the entire Corpus Area has grown only 2.9% what does that say about Corpus Christi itself as far as growth?

The study of demographics while allowing some opinion, is basically rooted in statistical methods that are not subject to debate.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:21 AM

It says the city officials need to quit holding the city back, and allow it to grow and prosper. The mentality of the city council there is to stifle change.. they want to remain this small coastal town.. that would slow any growth... and change.. where places like Rockport and so forth are adding attractions that bring tourist, that bring long term residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
You don't need to be a math scholar for this IF Rockport and Portland have grown 10% since 2000, and Aransas Pass 6% ( those arent the actual figures but close) and areas outside the city limits just past Calallen have grown rapidly, as well as some of the unincorporated areas near portland etc - then knowing the entire Corpus Area has grown only 2.9% what does that say about Corpus Christi itself as far as growth?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Aside from the general and never ceasing dissing and praising of all things Corpus . . . .

Does anyone know about Ice Skating (yeah, no joke) in Corpus?

We have heard it may or may not exist, that it may be seasonal (when the Bay freezes? ).

But does anyone actually, really, personally, know -- Who, What, Where and When about Ice Skating in Corpus?

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM

The bay hasn't froze in decades. And it is no normal ocassion for it to. As far as I know, there is no ice skating in Corpus. Maybe the American Bank Center has it sometimes but I am not sure.

And why would Rockport even be in the Corpus Christi MSA? It is 40 miles away. And a town of 10,000 at a 10% growth rate is not a lot of growth actually. That means it got up to 11,000. Wow! Lol talk about a growth spurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi