Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times

Advertisements

The most underachieving city in the USA on the sea. CC has so much potential to be a main travel destination. What gives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Well some of the areas outside of Corpus especially Rockport are great and booming -although there is a bit of a slowdown.

Corpus doesn't realize that the ugly refineries keep more people away then they employ. Toxic damages have been proven but its mostly poor minorities with little clout, so things stay the same.

Corpus does have some nice areas and generally friendly people, and along with Buffalo - they are the two most driveable cities in the US.

Overall- I like Corpus but do prefer Rockport ( from my house its 24 miles to CC and no traffic-pretty drive).

Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The most underachieving city in the USA on the sea. CC has so much potential to be a main travel destination. What gives
Travel related jobs tend to be the minimum wage variety. I'm not sure if that would help Corpus that much. Corpus has no direct flights to major cities. You either have to go through san antonio, houston or dallas for a connection. as a result, a flight to corpus normally costs more. Corpus doesn't need to be a major travel destination. it is just fine the way it is.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:52 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,271 times
Do you suggest all the refineries by closed and dismantled/demolished? What would that cost and where would all the employees and companies that support the refineries go? Corpus would be nowhere near the size it is if the refineries and the businesses supporting refineries were not located here. Corpus has its industrial area like every other city of its size that is located more than and hour and a half from a major city.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:55 AM

Change that is a tough question and should not be decided quickly. You are right about the employees and support companies.

Although every city has an industrial area - this one is waterfront and its the first thing the majority of automobile visitors see. Pittsburgh and Buffalo have the same issue -nice waterfront areas filled with industrial and guess what - for all those jobs they may have created - in the end the result was negative and people left the pollution and blight. Buffalo now is actually looking better as some of those areas are being re-claimed.

There is no other reason ( I know there's city corruption but that doesn't stop people from moving to a place) why Corpus hasn't been growing like the rest of the state. Without the refineries CC would be the most attractive large city in Texas. It would have the best weather, best traffic and some of the most affordable housing. I'm not in my usual argumentative mood today- (wait till I wake up lol) so I ask you just to think about all of this..

Another issue facing Corpus is the new police chief- who should it be? Today's Caller-Times has a poll about whether it should be someone from inside the current police force.
I say NOOOOOOO people have lost confidence in local police and its clear there is some corruption. Im not so keen on an outside police officer either as they will just use CC as a stepping stone. How about a local non -police officer with top legal or law enforcement qualifications?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 AM

231 posts, read 213,346 times
If it wasn't for the oppressive humidity in the spring-summer, the ugliness of the industries at the gateway to the city, the pollution in CC Bay, the gang problems and overall high crime rate and how hard it is to find a decent job and how remote it is - I'd just live there!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:07 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
If it wasn't for the oppressive humidity in the spring-summer, the ugliness of the industries at the gateway to the city, the pollution in CC Bay, the gang problems and overall high crime rate and how hard it is to find a decent job and how remote it is - I'd just live there!

Not to nitpick . . . but . . .

You missed the schools.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Disco the gangs are no worse than any other big city- the bay has some pollution but air quality is many times better than Hou,Dal,SA and ELP. Many times. So is the traffic. The humidity and summer heat are no fun but there are few nice summer spots in Texas.

You are correct about the ugliness of the industries (refineries ) at the gateway to the city.

Schools are not great but then Texas itself has poor schools - Portland, Rockport and Flour Bluff - all nearby have good districts.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:57 PM

244 posts, read 804,130 times
Corpus rocks! It's hard to deny that. No other Texas city has the same laid back vibe with all the amenities of a large metro....and it's only going to get better.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Add me to the ranks of the few who actually like Corpus as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi