U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM

245 posts, read 740,521 times

Advertisements

Here's a new downtown development underway. Should be cool when it's finished later this year. One of several going on at the moment.

www.nueceslofts.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,532,614 times
Nice.. Yeah I saw a few of these in a post on here not to far back.. maybe it got lost in the mix. But we have talked about this here already.. but thanks for reminding us.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
So that is what they decided to do with the old Nueces Bldg. Always wondered what they were going to do with it. Several loft projects are popping up around town, this and 3 others come to my mind instantly. I am glad to see that Corpus is really starting to follow through with this downtown revitalization thing. One of several major steps in order for a city's growth.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 AM

136 posts, read 309,911 times
That is the most horribly misleading promotional video in the history of man.....

I wonder who they'll get to pay those prices for trendy lofts?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 AM

163 posts, read 638,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Here's a new downtown development underway. Should be cool when it's finished later this year. One of several going on at the moment.

www.nueceslofts.com
That's neat. I always thought that Corpus could benefit from having loft apartments here. You don't hear too much about them existing and they picked a good location it appears.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM

It could benefit, but the chicken is coming before the egg. I always interpret these sort of developments as a draw towards successful, educated individuals that can afford the luxury lifestyle. They need to get jobs and salaries here before they fool people into thinking our downtown is ANYTHING but a bombed out dead zone. Seriously, go walk around there right now and tell me it's a hustling bustling urban mecca...

"Highest class entertainment, dining and professional sports"... (as per the atlantic lofts promo). Really?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:35 PM

245 posts, read 740,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
That is the most horribly misleading promotional video in the history of man.....

I wonder who they'll get to pay those prices for trendy lofts?
Did you even look at the prices? Those are no more expensive than any other apartments in the city. They are cheap if you ask me. And you may think downtown if horrible, and yes I agree it needs more life. But there is no denying that there is a lot to do in that area. WB Field, Convention Center, Arena, museums, bayfront, etc. Bringing permanent residents downtown is the only way to improve the area. Then and only then will we see more restaurants, shops and grocery stores. They follow the demographics.

Not sure why you coplain about downtown but when you see people trying to improve it and development happening...you still complain.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Downtown condo market is hard to assess » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

Just thought this might provide a little comedy to Corpus's trendy condo dreams...

You are aware that the CHEAP ones you speak of are studios right? The only one remotely close to $600/month is essentially a hotel room with 550 aq ft... I'm getting 700 in the hills of West Austin for $615. Oh and I'm sick of pepole touting the most obvious attractions around here as real bona-fide activities that someone who isn't completely lame would enjoy more than once a year. [Mod cut - Inappropriate]

Last edited by Oildog; 10-05-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,771 times
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "drinking the CC kool-aid". Do you mean that anyone who likes CC is deluded and brainwashed? That it is THE single place on earth that any clear-thinking person will come to despise based on objective facts? Once again, your posts ooze condescension and arrogance.

The "comical" article you posted contains mixed news....some efforts working out well, some not so much. Of course it's a challenge to turn around an admittedly run-down downtown area. There are pockets of progress at either end of downtown - the restaurant/shopping/club area around Water Street Oyster Bar, and the museum/arts/convention area around American Bank Center. This is an attempt to transform and revitalize the "heart" of downtown, and add an element that has never been there: residency. OF COURSE it's going to be a challenge. OF COURSE there will be ups and downs. And - who knows? - maybe the whole effort will fail and fold up at some point. It's still worth trying, and the investors and developers who are driving it are to be commended (although, needless to say, they are not intending it as charity work). I for one hope they succeed.

That's the opinion of this middle-aged, educated, professional, cultured, well-traveled former resident of Atlanta, Vancouver WA, St. Paul, Los Angeles, St. Augustine, and Front Royal VA. Currently residing in Corpus Christi, hating it some, loving it more, and definitely making the best of it.

Whoops, forgot Wichita KS in my history! I lived there for 2 years, *HATED* it, and was finally able to move. So, yeah, I definitely get not liking a place and leaving it. However, I feel no compulsion whatsoever to post on a Wichita forum to convince everyone else to hate it too.

Last edited by SOM; 10-05-2009 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot Wichita!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM

I still haven't left. I'm here until the weekend.

Yes, we all know a place has to crawl before it can walk, walk before run, etc... But, to me, Corpus is neglecting to lay the infrastructure for all these developments.

Fact: The very demographic which finds these developments alluring, ALSO proven by the context clues of the promo vid for Nueces Lofts, is simply not here. Let's analyze a statistic(s).

Degrees. Only 15% of the population of the CC MSA holds some sort of professional degree.
Income. Roughly 25K per capita

Deduction. This is not a favorable climate for uber trendy downtown lofts.

There is a demographic that seeks a dynamic lifestyle. CC just doesn't have it. If it did, I can give you my 100% assurance I would remain here. The last thing I want to do is leave all the friends and good times I've left behind, but I feel like there is just no real opportunity here. Sure, if had quit school and went to work at CCAD or a refinery like everyone else, I would be good to go , but that's not what I choose to do.

but

Plenty of people look at these condos and say "wow that's very cool. that's so hip...", but that means nothing if nobody is willing to pony up Austin/San Antonio rent on a downtown Corpus loft and I suspect those who do are indeed delusional or otherwise putting lipstick on a pig... Who else would pay that kind of money per sq. ft (for an unfinished place nonetheless) solely on the notion for things like "potential" and "anticipation"... They need to do more than just look good and inspire these anticipatory emotions in the cockles of people's hearts about what could be.

What especially blew me away was the comment made in the article about people wanting to move so they wouldn't need to mow their yards or maintain their house...
Quote:
“We want to live (at The Broadway) and make a living area there,” she said. “People we have found are interested in this kind of living are the older ones who don’t necessarily want to downsize but down-maintenance-ize. They want to stop doing the yard, fixing the roof or driving to get to the pool.”

Last edited by no cigar; 10-05-2009 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi