U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 PM

17 posts, read 67,998 times

Advertisements

I took a re-lo to Corpus in '07. Lived in Calallen, my wife and I loved it!!!! Did all the research on these boards b-4 we left and it was very helpful. My 2 boys, 15 and 17 at the time had one heck of a time adjusting. Kids can and will be brutal towards other kids not from there home town, especially at that age and especially if they don't play football. Got to the point I had to give up my promotion and move back north. IT KILLED ME!!! (The things a parent will do for there kids). Almost a year later and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about getting back there. My wife and I met ALOT of great people that welcomed us to there state. We went in trying to learn THERE way not showing them our way. For the year I was there I have nothing but good things to say about Corpus. I have one more child to get through high school and then, the Good Lord permitting, my wife and I will try to get back. Till then I'll brave the cold, the snow, rack leaves, chop wood and all the rest of the northern BS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 AM

1,367 posts, read 2,783,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8cold View Post
I took a re-lo to Corpus in '07. Lived in Calallen, my wife and I loved it!!!! Did all the research on these boards b-4 we left and it was very helpful. My 2 boys, 15 and 17 at the time had one heck of a time adjusting. Kids can and will be brutal towards other kids not from there home town, especially at that age and especially if they don't play football. Got to the point I had to give up my promotion and move back north. IT KILLED ME!!! (The things a parent will do for there kids). Almost a year later and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about getting back there. My wife and I met ALOT of great people that welcomed us to there state. We went in trying to learn THERE way not showing them our way. For the year I was there I have nothing but good things to say about Corpus. I have one more child to get through high school and then, the Good Lord permitting, my wife and I will try to get back. Till then I'll brave the cold, the snow, rack leaves, chop wood and all the rest of the northern BS.
I may have gone to school with what was your 17 year old son at the time. I graduated in 08 so I assume he was a junior at the time y'all were living here?

Anyways, its unfortunate that your boys didn't like the area as much as your wife and yourself. Hopefully your wish comes true and you can move back down one day. Corpus is a really nice town. I think the Calallen area is on the verge of major growth. I'm talkin Hwy 77 bein like S.P.I.D. all the way past Robstown. Eventually Corpus will grow into Robstown and it will be annexed. Who knows? Only time cab tell.

By the way, the Sutherlands out here shut down and supposedly is bein replaced by a Super Target. Very interesting rumor.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,509,053 times
Hey GABE, what is it like down there on Spring Break.. I have always come down after, when the prices drop. Last year was it when they had the shooting on the beach, or the year before?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Hey GABE, what is it like down there on Spring Break.. I have always come down after, when the prices drop. Last year was it when they had the shooting on the beach, or the year before?
The island is pretty crowded during spring break. Most trouble that does happen are from drunken out of towners. Especially when gang members from other cities come. But other than that, nothin gets to crazy or out of hand. And ya that shooting was last year. It was a guy from SA I think.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:19 PM

17 posts, read 67,998 times
Gabe,
one was a senior, he was the hand full. Would go, would'nt go. We were ready to put him on a plane back to CT. thats how much trouble he gave us. The younger was a soph. He just could'nt fit in, tried, but no use.
Thats to bad about Sutherlands, I always went there instead of the Home Depot. I thought they gave better service and were always more helpful.
My wife hope's Hobby Lobby will still be there. Her home away from home.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8cold View Post
Gabe,
one was a senior, he was the hand full. Would go, would'nt go. We were ready to put him on a plane back to CT. thats how much trouble he gave us. The younger was a soph. He just could'nt fit in, tried, but no use.
Thats to bad about Sutherlands, I always went there instead of the Home Depot. I thought they gave better service and were always more helpful.
My wife hope's Hobby Lobby will still be there. Her home away from home.
Never heard anything about Hobby Lobby closing. I don't think it ever will. Hobby Lobby, Payless, and Bealls all receive a lot of business. I work at Best Buy, and they are thinking about building one next to Wal-Mart.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,656,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Never heard anything about Hobby Lobby closing. I don't think it ever will. Hobby Lobby, Payless, and Bealls all receive a lot of business. I work at Best Buy, and they are thinking about building one next to Wal-Mart.
Curious, Gabe... do you think with Circuit City closing its doors, that it will hurt Best Buy in the long run? I realize you will have alot less competition now, but that was part of the reason people flocked to Best Buy over Circuit City (was one of my reasons, anyhow). Also, does CC have alot of other electronics stores?

Ian

Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Curious, Gabe... do you think with Circuit City closing its doors, that it will hurt Best Buy in the long run? I realize you will have alot less competition now, but that was part of the reason people flocked to Best Buy over Circuit City (was one of my reasons, anyhow). Also, does CC have alot of other electronics stores?

Ian
No, I don't think Best Buy is really even suffering from the recession. Best Buy is fairing fairly well compared to other retailers. Even better so in Corpus. Think about it, Corpus has only one Best Buy. Its the only one all the way to Victoria, SA, or the RGV. So this Best Buy alone is serving 450,000-500,000 people alone. Actually the store here is one of the busiest in the whole company. So no, personally I don't beleive Best Buy will suffer.

And the only other electronic stores in Corpus are Wal-Mart, Aarons, Marco's, Conn's, Office Depot, Radio Shack, and HEB Plus, (which just started selling electronics.)

Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM

8 posts, read 22,046 times
I dont think Best Buy is either. I love the new Super HEB we have on the bluff. I just moved here a few month ago, and I am really enjoying it. I dont live in CC though, I live out on the island Port Aransas. The misses and I get up early and walk the beach and enjoy the cool breeze and waves crashing about.

Muhnay if your looking to move out here, you could be in worst places. I agree with gabetx that if you enjoy it so much why look any place else. Hope to call you neighbor soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi