U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 11,996 times

Advertisements

My husband applied for a job in Corpus Christi today, since he absolutely hates where we're living now. We moved to Wyoming from Indianapolis, for a smaller town, rural feel, and realized that this is just a bit TOO rural for our tastes. So, he applied for a job in CC, only we've never BEEN to CC! I've never been to Texas in my life, and he was only there once for maybe 2 weeks, 15 years or so ago.

So, my question is, what is the area like? Is it good for raising kids (we have 3 now, and I'm pregnant with twins)? We homeschool, are there any support groups or co-ops around? (And how is Texas on homeschooling, anyway?) Are there plenty of things to do in the area (museums, shows, is there a zoo, ect.)? We'll have to rent, at least for 2 years, is the rental market all right out there, or will we have a really hard time findng a decent place? (We also have 1 dog.) What's the crime in the area like? Are there any holistic/natural doctors, and organic/health food stores around?

And, last but not least... I know there are LOTS of snakes in Texas... Is this as big of a problem in the cities and costal area? I have a SEVERE fear of snakes, and rattlers in particular absoluetely set me off. Or is there at least a theripist in town willing to help with my phobia? I doubt DH is going to listen if I say I don't want to move there b/c of big snakes...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,252,820 times
Good luck with the culture shock. It's another planet compared to Wyoming or Indy.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM

304 posts, read 1,050,706 times
Culture shock? We moved here from Minneapolis, Minnesota and have not experienced any "culture shock".

Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,163,481 times
I've been to Wyoming, so I will 2nd, it'll be some culture shock. But, having lived in Indy, you may not really be too surprised.

The area is good for raising kids. I know lots of people who were raised there and they turned out just fine. My mom is one of them. I don't know about CC specifically, but Texas in general is positive about homeschooling. You should be able to find lots of groups and resources. There are museums and shows in Corpus. I don't think there is a zoo though. San Antonio has a really good one though and you could probably go there on a day trip, or a weekend trip. I've been to the History Museum and I'm pretty sure there's an art museum too. Someone else could tell you that. I'm into history and genealogy, so when I go there I like to visit the historic homes that were turned into museums and the cemeteries. There are some Forts in the surrounding towns as well that played parts in Texas's war with Mexico. Goliad is one of those towns. There is also that big aircraft carrier ship next to the history museum. Not to mention water sports of various sorts and fishing. In my personal experience crime never touched me there, but like any city it has it's good and bad parts of town. My grandpa ended up living close to Seawall, so it was safe there and then he eventually retired to Ingleside, also safe. There are health food stores, I think Sun Harvest was the one my grandpa shopped at. I'm not sure about the doctors, someone else probably has experience with that. Yes, there are snakes in Texas but not usually in the cities...too much traffic But, if you visit any of the local lakes, just be aware of water moccasins. I've never heard of rattlers in Corpus, but they could be further South of CC. I'm North East of Austin and there are rattlers here, but we also have King and Rat snakes that are non venomous and eat rattle snakes so I've come to love them and don't try and kill them anymore now that I know that. I'd much rather have a harmless snake around than a potentially venomous one. Once someone posted a link on snakes. You could do a search. But, I'm positive there is a therapist there who could help you with your phobia should the need arise

Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,305,077 times
In addition to all the hundreds of reasons I disliked living in South Texas,I lived 30 min drive south of Corpus. I had an issue with snakes there. I love to walk my dogs ALOT. But it was so bad down there, that I actually ended up doing very little walking-was too afraid after seeing some of the biggest, longest snakes I have ever seen in my life, and I am from North Texas, and I have done alot of hunting, so I am used to Texas critters and the outdoors.
I can't begin to tell you how many times I just about had a heart attack or fainted on some of the "surprises" I ran into, on my walks. Oh, and not to mention the evil javelinas!

I am relieved to have escaped that area, and here in Central Texas, it's like North Texas, to me. I have only seen a few, and nothing like the monster ones down there. UGH. Never again.

I have the BIGGEST phobia about them-I can't even look at pics of them without almost fainting. And I have discussed this before on the Texas forums, and some very inconsiderate people always post replies with pics of the nasty things on here, and I have to quickly hit my backspace. It's not funny. So please, for those of yall who reply to this thread, please be sensitive to the original posters' fears and mine. Thanks. If we need to or want to learn about snakes, we can google the info ourselves.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,783,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchara View Post
My husband applied for a job in Corpus Christi today, since he absolutely hates where we're living now. We moved to Wyoming from Indianapolis, for a smaller town, rural feel, and realized that this is just a bit TOO rural for our tastes. So, he applied for a job in CC, only we've never BEEN to CC! I've never been to Texas in my life, and he was only there once for maybe 2 weeks, 15 years or so ago.

So, my question is, what is the area like? Is it good for raising kids (we have 3 now, and I'm pregnant with twins)? We homeschool, are there any support groups or co-ops around? (And how is Texas on homeschooling, anyway?) Are there plenty of things to do in the area (museums, shows, is there a zoo, ect.)? We'll have to rent, at least for 2 years, is the rental market all right out there, or will we have a really hard time findng a decent place? (We also have 1 dog.) What's the crime in the area like? Are there any holistic/natural doctors, and organic/health food stores around?

And, last but not least... I know there are LOTS of snakes in Texas... Is this as big of a problem in the cities and costal area? I have a SEVERE fear of snakes, and rattlers in particular absoluetely set me off. Or is there at least a theripist in town willing to help with my phobia? I doubt DH is going to listen if I say I don't want to move there b/c of big snakes...
Corpus Christi is a very slow paced, laid back city. Most drivable in the US. Although I don't believe we will be keeping that title too long with all of the road construction going on here. Development is slow, but has started picking up these last few months. I think CC is about to be a boom town. Its just a matter of time.

CC is a safe city. Great place for raising a family. You will only find crime if you are involved in it. Drugs aren't much of an issue to families. You don't ever have to worry about going out at night, getting robbed, ever being held captive at gun point, or anything crazy like that. There is only the occasional teenage hoodlum who vandilizes and wreaks havoc around town. Nothing major.

I believe CC has some kind of help for homeschooling, but don't take my word for it. You can search online.

There are numerous activities to do in CC. We have minor league baseball, arena football, ice hockey, and college basketball sports wise. South Texas is great for hunting and bird spotting. Also CC is great for water and wind sports. CC is on average one of the windiest cities on earth. Its even windier than Chicago. Also, if you like museums, there is the USS Lexington, an art museum, the Texas State Aquarium, the replicas of the Columbus ships, and a history museum I believe. The nearest zoo is Waynes World in Mathis. Its smaller, and a lot more of a rural feel to it, but its nice. CC also has the bayfront wall which is nice to walk along. We also have a nice downtown with several resturaunts, and some shops. Its in the process of revitalizing.

The weather is warm and humid 8 months a year, but even during the winter it can get hot and humid. But one day it can be hot, and the next it can be freezing. It almost never snows. Only once every 15-30 years. We can occasionally get freezing rain once every couple years.

The main shopping corridor is SPID. Everything and anything you could ever want and need you can find there. But the north west side in Calallen is starting to develop.

The nice areas are the Southside, Calallen and Annaville, Flour Bluff, along Ocean Drive, and the Island. Just to name the major ones. Avoid the northside, Better known by locals as "The Cut", and the westside.

Other than that, if you have anymore questions, Ill be happy to answer.

P.S. Snakes are not that bad in South Texas. Nor are Javelinas. And you wont see them in the city. Maybe an occasional garden snake. And like I said, if you aren't involved in crime, you wont get caught up in it. Walking is safe, just not on the North side.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 PM

378 posts, read 1,338,001 times
Nice tropical feel. Sort of like the miami of Texas.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,781,359 times
There are several threads about CC on here where you can gather some more information.

But, for the record, I've lived here most of my life and the only snakes I've ever seen have been some tiny grass snakes and that's only happened a time or two. You can cross snakes off of your worry list.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

808 posts, read 3,367,192 times
Gabe - Wayne's World is still open? I thought it had closed a few years back.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM

1,367 posts, read 2,783,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Gabe - Wayne's World is still open? I thought it had closed a few years back.
Did it? Last I heard, it was still open. But now you have me questioning myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi