U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM

68 posts, read 130,782 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are trying to land him a job at the Army base and I was wanting to know as much as i could about Corpus Christi just in case he gets the job. (hope hope hope!!)

Some of the key things im intrested in are the county names... anyone know a site that has a map that lists the countys?

I notice there seems to be a heavy Catholic community there. What about other religions? Is it a very welcoming place? I come from a town that too often segregates children who aren't a certain religion (LDS) and Im wondering if there are any problems like that there.

What is your favorite thing about Corpus Christi, how about your least favorite?

What is your grocery bill like? LOL I know, odd question, but It is importaint to me. Im hoping to move somewhere where groceries are either the same cost or cheaper.

What is home insurance like there?

EDIT TO ADD ANOTHER =P Is there a farmers market there or a good avenue for buying organic food?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,309,680 times
yall just better visit before yall decide to move there. there are plenty of other army posts around. not my favorite part of Texas, well, it's the only part of Texas I dislike. but there is something for everyone. search this forum under Corpus Christi to get more info, there have been plenty of posts

Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 AM

5,353 posts, read 10,239,856 times
Hi Smalltownmama,

Heading down your list . . . .

Texas County Map

Texas County Map

Most of the Corpus Area is Nueces County.

Only odd or intense Religious stuff we found with the kids was one Uber School (private) that would have required a "Statement of Faith" for us to sign to enroll the kids. Was a great school, though. Self-paced and started the kids in Latin, upfront.

btw, that was a question you missed. Schools. You are probably from outside Texas since you did not ask. In Texas you have to know to look out for "low performing" schools and districts. Overall Corpus is not a real education center. (was that kind enough? ) CHECK THE SCHOOLS VERY CAREFULLY!

Most favorite thing -- North Padre Island National Seashore. A++++ The kids love it and we do, to0. Totally "primitive." We just go some miles down island and stop and play. Like a transport to another place and time. Wonderful.

Least favorite -- dunno. I guess we just do not exactly match or fit. But I do not blame the town for that.

Groceries -- hard to guess cheaper or more, since your current prices are unknown. HEB (big chain that started in Corpus, but shifted HQ to San Antonio) still runs the town.

Dunno about Markets and Organic -- but good question, and am interested, too.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,793,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmama View Post
Hi! My husband and I are trying to land him a job at the Army base and I was wanting to know as much as i could about Corpus Christi just in case he gets the job. (hope hope hope!!)

Some of the key things im intrested in are the county names... anyone know a site that has a map that lists the countys?

I notice there seems to be a heavy Catholic community there. What about other religions? Is it a very welcoming place? I come from a town that too often segregates children who aren't a certain religion (LDS) and Im wondering if there are any problems like that there.

What is your favorite thing about Corpus Christi, how about your least favorite?

What is your grocery bill like? LOL I know, odd question, but It is importaint to me. Im hoping to move somewhere where groceries are either the same cost or cheaper.

EDIT TO ADD ANOTHER =P Is there a farmers market there or a good avenue for buying organic food?
All religions are welcome, as are non-believers. One's religious beliefs rarely come up in conversation.

My favorite thing: Corpus Christi bayfront, especially on a summer evening. That, and the fact that you can live within walking distance of the bayfront without paying an arm and a leg.

Least favorite: Summer heat.

Grocery bill: Not counting pets, I spend about $100/week on family of 3.

Home insurance: Very high, mostly because of the windstorm coverage. You also need flood insurance in some neighborhoods.

There are a couple of farmer's markets open on Saturday and I think there's a small one close to 5 points that opens one weekday afternoon. There's also a small Sun Harvest that has a pretty good selection of natural and organic foods. There's a farm in Alice that has organic grass fed beef and poultry and they deliver to CC every two weeks. I think you can google Edelen Farms for more info.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 PM

304 posts, read 1,050,985 times
Seems there are churches everywhere in Corpus and some very large ones as well with schools from K-8th grade. Sun Harvest is a great store. Homeowners insurance is no higher than we paid in Minnesota and car insurance is less here than in Minnesota. Cost of living is less in general than in northern states. Favorite thing about Corpus is the bayfront. Least favorite thing about Corpus is the "little things that lead to bigger things" (litter and stealing grocery carts and leaving them at bus stops and on street corners). People are very friendly and helpful. Lots of transplants here from across the country.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM

10 posts, read 32,845 times
Default More Information on Corpus

Hello-

My experience in Corpus has been great so far! However, sound advice has been given to you regarding choosing an exact location and school district for your children. There are other school districts within the city limits that are separate from Corpus Christi Independent School District.Click these links to go to the official websites for Calallen Independent School District, Tuloso-Midway Independent School District and Flour Bluff Independent School District. From there you can see for yourself what their test scores are and the programs they have available to the children.

Many homes now have a WPI-8 certificate, which is a windstorm. The sellers usually understand that if their home doesn't have one, they need to get one for insurance purposes of the buyers. A real estate agent can check on this very quickly for you. And the FEMA flood maps will show which areas flood and which do not.

As a mother, I love the Calallen district that my son is in. We just moved to it last year, and my son has really taken to it. We also enjoy the beaches, the museums, the aquarium, and several outdoor parks and trails. Right now he is in the spring soccer program, so I get to enjoy watching him practice! There are so many activities available for children here.

I hope that you have all the answers you need about Corpus Christi!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM

13,541 posts, read 6,543,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmama View Post
I hope things work out for you and he gets the job. We certainly have a lot of folks lately trying to get to Texas. I'm guessing when you say "Army" that you are referring to the Corpus Christi Army Depot (CCAD)It's located at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station - be sure and check a map for location. There are two gates - North Gate at Ocean Dr. and South Gate at Waldron Rd in Flour Bluff. I would check schools/area that are convenient to one of the gates.

Quote:
You will be looking in Nueces county - I grew up in CC and have lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for almost 40 years but often still visit Corpus. I don't think the traffic is bad down there (probably because it's much worse here) but it can certainly be heavy on the major streets at prime drive time. I would guess that the commute from the Base to Calallen is going to be close to 30 minutes.

Quote:
There is a heavy Catholic community for several reasons - a lot of European early settlers who were Catholic and a heavy Hispanic population which is predominately Catholic. You will find that whatever your religion is .... everyone gets along and it's no big deal. It wasn't when I was growing up and in isn't now. Corpus is not "dominated" by a particular religion like a LDS area usually is.

Quote:
The weather is my favorite - the weather is my least favorite. I love the sunshine year round, there is usually a breeze from the bay so I don't think the heat is as bad as some places I've lived. I love being able to grow beautiful tropical plants and most anything year around. I don't love the heavy wind that we often have, I don't love the hurricains that occassionally threaten the coast. Corpus is flat - it's on a coastal plane. You do get a more rolling terrain in the Calallen area - you give up the bay winds. It's pretty humid - look on the bright side, high humidity is great for your skin and hair. Speaking of hair, if yours tends to curl - don't fight it.

Quote:

IF you move to Corpus - you will do your shopping at HEB. That's not a bad thing, it's a great store. Sun Harvest is the organic store but HEB also has organic products. You may be able to get organic meats at Moody's Meat Market - not sure, but it's a nice market. I think you will find your grocery bill is lower in Texas than wherever you live now. Price of living is pretty low here. I know I buy stuff at HEB when I'm in town and bring it back home because it's so cheap and the selection is so good.

IF I were moving back to Corpus I would look in an older part of town along Alameda/Santa Fe. I just like that part of town - it's a bit quieter, nice neighborhoods.

Here are two web-sites to check out schools. They both uses the Texas Great Schools data but the second one shows a map where the schools are located which seems a little easier to me. It's set up to show top schools first and also gives parent ratings.

Texas Great Schools

Corpus Christi Schools with map location

Good Luck
K

Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,799,875 times
There are a hundred threads here about Corpus - did you check them out?

Some of the surrounding areas are nicer than CC and that's why they are growing faster. Portland Rockport in particular.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM

68 posts, read 130,782 times
Thanks all! He didn't get the job, but another job announcement has come out. And it is IDENTICAL to what he was doing in the military! So Round two of praying begins.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM

245 posts, read 739,761 times
Favorite thing about CC: It's not like the rest of Texas.
Least favorite thing: Desperately needs more retail options.
Fresh Food: You can buy fresh seafood down at the marina (t-heads)

Guess none of this is relavent now that you're moving elsewhere but felt like throwing my two cents in. But best of luck wherever you go smalltownmama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi