Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:20 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I asked this in another post but I'll try here also. Does 1000-1100 a month rent a decent 3 bedroom somewhat close to the beach or do I need to come up with more money or move more inland? And for any who have first hand knowledge how does CC rate in your opinion next to San Diego?
A 3 bed house close to the beach for 1000-1100/mo? Possibly, but not likely. Now, if you said $1300-$1500, I would say go for it. You might be able to find some 2 bedroom houses for that price near to the beach though.

Why not live a little further away from the beach, and have a decent house in western CC? Driving to the beach from the west side of town isn't that bad of a commute. And for 1000-1100/mo. you should be able to find a fairly decent property.

If you are wanting near the beach for under 1100, I would strongly suggest an apartment rental, or if you can find one, a condo to rent.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Humidity doesn't help though.

Nothing helps that humidity. I sweat, inside, with the air conditioner on, when it's humid.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Nothing helps that humidity. I sweat, inside, with the air conditioner on, when it's humid.
Don't ya know that sweating helps build character??

I would rather have some sweat issues any day over bitter cold. I lived in the bitter cold enviornments for 8 months out of each year for over 20 years, and I can handle this alot better.

Although, there is something that can be said for dressing up for the cold, where as you can only remove so much clothing for the heat....... hmmmmmmmmm.....

Ian

Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Don't ya know that sweating helps build character??

I would rather have some sweat issues any day over bitter cold. I lived in the bitter cold enviornments for 8 months out of each year for over 20 years, and I can handle this alot better.

Although, there is something that can be said for dressing up for the cold, where as you can only remove so much clothing for the heat....... hmmmmmmmmm.....

Ian

Ian, you made your side and mine too! "Although, there is something that can be said for dressing up for the cold, where as you can only remove so much clothing for the heat....... hmmmmmmmmm..... "

This sounds like my husband's and my conversations. He says, I'd rather it be 100 degrees than be cold. And I come back with Ian's saying there.
ha!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I asked this in another post but I'll try here also. Does 1000-1100 a month rent a decent 3 bedroom somewhat close to the beach or do I need to come up with more money or move more inland? And for any who have first hand knowledge how does CC rate in your opinion next to San Diego?
The house next door to me was/possibly is available for rent and it's a 3 br, 1.5 baths for $1,000. We're 4 blocks from the bay and 15 mins from the beach.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 AM

271 posts, read 809,856 times
I gather it's possible to rent for 1000 but more likely 1200-1400 gives more options. What would be the commute time to the beach from western CC and maybe farther out say near Lake CC?
I also was wondering if it's possible to enjoy the beaches in the summer or are they overrun with vacationers?
Marlow
What part of the city is that house in? It's hard to tell good areas from not so good when all my research is online. I'm hoping to make a road trip in a couple of months to look around and knowing where not to look is a real time saver. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
If you don't mind an older neighborhood with a mixed-up demographic, like the one I live in, I suggest that you look in the area roughly bordered by Ocean Dr. on the East, Ayers on the North, Staples on the West and Ennis Joslin on the South. If you look at a map, this will NOT make a square, because CC is built around the C-shaped bay. But it will give you an idea. Another way to look is to say anywhere within 6-8 blocks of Alameda Street from Ayers to Ocean will probably be a good neighborhood. That's a big area and I'm sure you can find something that will work for you. Again, because it's a mixed up area, you might find yourself on a very nice looking street and travel 3 blocks to find yourself on a questionable street. If it gives you the creeps, move on a few blocks and you should be ok.

If you see a rental online and you think it looks promising, DM me with the address and I'll give you my honest opinion.

Also, if you want new construction, you'll have to go the Southside, or Flour Bluff. Another poster on here, Changeofpace, bought in Flour Bluff last year and I'm sure has a lot of knowledge about property in that area.

I think the drive from Western CC to Padre Island is probably 30-35 mins and from Lake CC would be 45 mins. Someone else may have more accurate info.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM

271 posts, read 809,856 times
Thanks Marlow for the info

Old 02-25-2009, 04:46 PM

I know when I was in CC, from around the Rafters Apartment to Padre Island was about 15-20 minutes. This is taking I-37 to 358, and going onto Padre from there. Traffic was moderate, but really the road system in CC seems to be really good.

Ian

Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,271 times
As Marlow described a large area of nice homes and walkable neighborhoods. We decided to go with new construction so we investigated Bent Tree, Buckingham Estates, Country Club, Kings Crossings and an area called Cornerstone in Flour Bluff when we did not find an older home that fit our needs. Check out Portland as well. Personally we did care for the Island feel but you may like it so check it out when you visit Corpus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi