U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 12,989 times

Advertisements

Corpus Christi is going downhill fast. It is a city with great potential for tourism which is not tapped into- the ole boys club don't want change besides how do you attract tourists in a city riddled with gangs?
The downtown area is slowly becoming a ghost town, a main section of the downtown strip is nothing but boarded up buildings. Graffitti is a major problem of late throughout the city. This city bends the rules as it sees fit (probably just like any other) The chief got demoted for not following policy by a city manager who didn't follow policy in his application but was selected anyway - in other words city council does what it wants regardless oh and are doing city business with someone who has filed bankruptcy and fled California in debt- go figure! If those were my tax dollars I would be making all sorts of noise You could not pay me to live in the city and I would not raise my children there. South side is becoming a gang haven but deep south where all the new houses are is very nice. Enough negativity..... The surrounding areas of Corpus Christi are beautiful, both Portland and Calallen have excellent schools with outstanding academic and sports achievements and are not too far of a commute (13-15 miles) This area offers just about any activity you can think of and if it is not right here- it is not far. Great for outdoors and water sports. Yes it gets hot here in summer but the winters are fabulous- unless you love snow, but we have even done that on occasion (maybe twice in 100 yrs?)
A good way to learn about an area is to follow the local paper- Caller dot com in case the link is removed. Corpus Christi Caller-Times : News, Business, Sports, Entertainment & More! It will not reflect the crime rates acurately as it has been my observation that only crimes affecting business and tax payers are reported but it will still give you an idea. There are many, many good folks who dedicate their time to volunteering, as medical facilities go, the area is very good. Salaries are not top notch but then the cost of living is pretty low here too. I hope all this helps. Good luck. Fiona.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM

245 posts, read 739,761 times
I think your exagerating just a bit. You make CC out to be a huge slum like New Orleans when it isn't. Several projects are going on downtown. More than we've seen in the last 20 years. In a nationwide recession, the city is actually luring big business and is ranked one of the top cities to ride out a recession. The housing market is one of the best in the country and everywhere you look there are construction projects whether it be commercial and home construction or road construction to fix our streets to compliment a pretty nice system of freeways when you compare it to other cities our size. I agree there are problems. Like the education system and crime (which isn't as bas as you say it is), but come on. I think you need to get out and enjoy the city more. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM

13,544 posts, read 6,543,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I asked this in another post but I'll try here also. Does 1000-1100 a month rent a decent 3 bedroom somewhat close to the beach or do I need to come up with more money or move more inland? And for any who have first hand knowledge how does CC rate in your opinion next to San Diego?
Corpus is a lot more laid back than San Diego, the climate is also very different. I have that "home Corpus" feeling when I'm in SD but you can't really compare them. Keep in mind that San Diego is on the Pacific Ocean, Corpus Christi is built in a crescent shape (imagine a quarter moon) around Corpus Christi Bay. When you talk about "the Beach" -- there are several kinds of "beach". All of it is different from what I saw along the west coast.

This is a link showing pictures and a map of the areas around the bay. Tourist sites in Corpus Christi

Quote:
I gather it's possible to rent for 1000 but more likely 1200-1400 gives more options. What would be the commute time to the beach from western CC and maybe farther out say near Lake CC?
I also was wondering if it's possible to enjoy the beaches in the summer or are they overrun with vacationers?
Marlow
What part of the city is that house in? It's hard to tell good areas from not so good when all my research is online. I'm hoping to make a road trip in a couple of months to look around and knowing where not to look is a real time saver. Thanks for the info.
This is the Craig's List for rentals in Corpus, the listing will often include pictures and a map to show you the area. I'm sure folks around here would be happy to give opinions about any area you might have a question about.

When I visit CC with my grandchildren, I often take them over to North Beach (nice, man made, narrow) to play - it's a close easy drive from most areas of Corpus, just across the Harbor Bridge. I also take them to some of the very small, almost private beaches along Ocean drive at some of the tiny park areas. Some of these have almost no sand and some have nice little strips of sand. These areas are both on the inside curve of the crescent - Ocean Drive is beautiful with large old fancy homes.

Basically in this area --

Ocean Drive view and park - some is near a steep bluff like this picture and some is accessible by steps.

The OSO area is not beach at all - it's a marsh area and well loved by bird watchers. Four Bluff is quite close to "real" beaches , I think the best beaches in the area are along Mustang Island (they call it Padre Is on some maps now) on the road to Port Aransas. Wide beaches, sand dunes, some facilities, well off the road. It's never too crowded (except spring break) to find a spot. The breeze makes it comfortable even during the summer. I like access #2. From Corpus out to the Island, you turn left to go to beaches/Port Aransas and right to enter Flour Bluff where you could possibly also find rentals

. It's all pretty close to Corpus proper. Go straight and you continue on to the main part of Padre Island. There are a lot of condos, homes and perhaps apartments in this area. It's all going to be more expensive that living closer to Corpus but if you are somewhere in the area close to Airline then you are still just minutes away from "beach" and sand dunes. Padre Island is a National Seashore and a long barrier island. The Corpus Christi area is at the North end of padre.

http://oregonstate.edu/%7Ehousemi/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/south-padre-island1.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 AM

271 posts, read 733,033 times
Kibby
Thank you for the great info. From my research the Flour Bluff area looks promising and I like the easy access to the beaches. I'm retired young with kids still at home so schools and sport activities are important in my search. Hopefully someone with kids in the Flour Bluff area will join in and give some additional insight. My goal is great schools, nice house somewhat close to the beach, good surf fishing, and a job for my wife. I see a road trip in my future.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM

13,544 posts, read 6,543,120 times
Quote:
Kibby
Thank you for the great info. From my research the Flour Bluff area looks promising and I like the easy access to the beaches. I'm retired young with kids still at home so schools and sport activities are important in my search. Hopefully someone with kids in the Flour Bluff area will join in and give some additional insight. My goal is great schools, nice house somewhat close to the beach, good surf fishing, and a job for my wife. I see a road trip in my future.
Funny you should mention "great schools" - The Great Schools website offers a pretty good starting place for checking out schools. Once again - it's important to keep in mind that Corpus Christi (and surrounding area) are built around CC Bay and Corpus Christi Port is the 6th largest in the USA, the deepest port on the Gulf Coast and the 47th largest in the world by cargo tonnage. You are never far from the water in Corpus but a "port city" is different from a "beach city" in many ways. The builders of Corpus did a great job of dividing the scenic bay views, industrial port and beach areas.

Flour Bluff ISD profile

It's difficult to find rentals for homes unless you are local. Craigs list will help but those go fast - local realtors often have homes they manage for rental - here are a couple offered in the Flour Bluff area. These are on the expensive side in new developments, I'm sure there are others but they can be difficult to track down. The zip code for that area is 78418. 2 of these rentals are in Flour Bluff, 1 is "on the island". Homes on the southern end of SPID (South Padre Island Dr.) are still going to be about 10 minutes away from surf fishing.

Flour Bluff area rental homes

Don't hesitate to ask any questions - Corpus is the #2 place in Texas for a "road trip". Lots to see and do. Some great places to stay.

K

Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM

271 posts, read 733,033 times
Thank you Kibby for the additional sites they will be helpful and thanks for the offer on further questions which I'm sure to have.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
I think your exagerating just a bit. You make CC out to be a huge slum like New Orleans when it isn't. Several projects are going on downtown. More than we've seen in the last 20 years. In a nationwide recession, the city is actually luring big business and is ranked one of the top cities to ride out a recession. The housing market is one of the best in the country and everywhere you look there are construction projects whether it be commercial and home construction or road construction to fix our streets to compliment a pretty nice system of freeways when you compare it to other cities our size. I agree there are problems. Like the education system and crime (which isn't as bas as you say it is), but come on. I think you need to get out and enjoy the city more. It's not as bad as you make it out to be.
Nope, never said anything about a slum at all, said it had much untapped potential and major gang problems, and yes our crime IS as bad as I say it is, I am in law enforcement. And yes, city council is a wreck however you are correct in saying we have a pretty nice freeway system and thank goodness the street/block system is logical unlike many other cities but if you have ever been abroad you will know Corpus Christi has the potential to be so much more.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM

304 posts, read 1,051,009 times
Thee new mayor and city council members should be of great help in getting things cleaned up and moving in a positive manner. If law enforcement would clean up there act maybe they could clean up the gang issues as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:05 AM

16,079 posts, read 37,991,136 times
Corpus Christi has enormous potential based on location.

I was real interested in CC myself and took a drive down there...but coming into the city there are huge refineries everywhere which blow right over a major highway coming into town...combined with dilipitated housing everywhere, certainly adds a bad introduction feeling to the city.

However, the downtown area is quite pleasant...and everywhere near the ocean is REALLY nice. It is just too bad it is such a little narrow strip of it...and the mass majority is that industrial/dilipitated housing look.

To be fair, I've heard 100s of great things about San Antonio, and it had the same feel...everything dilipitated except what was right next to the Riverside Mall and the few tourist areas there.

Just my impression though, I've been living outside of the U.S. for quite some time...and when I was in the U.S., it was California and New York, which has a lot more $$ going into them...same abroad, so much wealth outside of the U.S., particularly over here in Asia.

But if someone was coming from the Midwest or the South or up from Mexico, than Texas is actually quite nice all the way around.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM

16 posts, read 53,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Corpus Christi has enormous potential based on location.

I was real interested in CC myself and took a drive down there...but coming into the city there are huge refineries everywhere which blow right over a major highway coming into town...combined with dilipitated housing everywhere, certainly adds a bad introduction feeling to the city.

However, the downtown area is quite pleasant...and everywhere near the ocean is REALLY nice. It is just too bad it is such a little narrow strip of it...and the mass majority is that industrial/dilipitated housing look.

This is correct, and many other cities can make the same claim: few, if any of us, want to live near industrial areas or along the freeway. The Port Of Corpus Christi is to be understood to now be along both sides of the bay as construction plans explain, and how roadways are being aligned for commercial traffic/trains, etc. As such, be aware that "desirable" Portland (not in my mind, or to those who can be bothered to read) has a new giant container port being built along side it, and an LNG facility next to that ("hello Texas City!). In other words, as in a post above, the Port makes all else subservient. That won't change for the economy of this region.

The best place to live in CC is within the first three blocks extending back from the Bay along Ocean Drive from Spohn Hospital to TAMUCC & NAS-CC. The breeze is the best (vital for outdoor living) and the rainfall slightly higher some months (also vital). The differences may not be great on a numerical scale, but they are telling in the actual living. (At my home the daily high is never as high as that reported at the airport, it is closer to the one reported at NAS-CC.)

The only place more comfortable is Rockport/Fulton Beach, but it is essentially an hour away.

One cannot buy into neighborhoods of this sort in any big Texas city -- or likely any Gulf Coast city -- for the prices here (if one finds them affordable at their current depressed state). Yes, insurance premiums are higher than inland of Alameda. But they also tend to be well-built (in a city with historically poor codes), and a surprising number are architect designed. Those built before the advent of central A/C feature windows on a square foot basis that is far better than post-1970 construction. (We rely on breezes only for comfort during the months of February thru April).

In CC, unlike SA or the other cities, one can sit outside all day -- in warm or hot weather -- so long as one has shade. Thus, the emphasis on being close to the bay. The inland areas receive less, overall. (But be prepared for daily average winds of above 25-mph with gusts to 40 mph in the winter and early spring). One has no choice but to retreat indoors in the other cities.

There are nice homes and nice neighborhoods. But they are -- as everywhere else -- outnumbered by the housing stock of the working class and poor. That said, the city needs to become pro-active and change code enforcement. Too many lazy homeowners in some areas, and this problem has been addressed in cities like Dallas to good effect.

Winter here is comfortable, spring is deceptively so in a non-drought year. The toughest times, climate-wise, is August thru September when the breezes drop off. Both times deserve a visit, as the first is the best time to be in the city, and the second the best time to be at the Gulf beaches (when the water is warmest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi