U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,098 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am considering moving to Corpus Christi from Broward County, FL (Fort lauderdale area) and need some information quickly on the city and surrounding areas.

I am married with a 2 year old son, and location is important to us in terms of safety, and also proximity to the beach if possible.

Looking to rent an apartment under $800, 2 or 3 BR. I hear the south side is nicer?? Also, how are the schools? Does anyone have an actual account of what the weather is like? I've read some places that it is ridiculously hot in the summer (but so is florida), and I've also seen pictures of snow in the winter....

Help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM

2,920 posts, read 4,993,500 times
The snow you saw in Corpus was probably from the snow 4 years ago. It really doesn't get that cold in the winter. I'm a little south of there, and it is supposed to be 92 today. I have family in Ft. Lauderdale area and it actually is a little cooler there. The main thing you'll notice is that there is not NEARLY as many things to do (shopping, museums, etc.) as there are in Florida. I don't live in Corpus, but have visited quite a bit. There are quite a few people on this board who do live there and can give you some good info. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,098 times
Thanks....92 today??? We barely hit 80, and it felt quite cool most of the day. How country is Corpus? Have you or anyone heard of Kevin Fowler? Does he play near there?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,312,567 times
yes Kevin Fowler played at the Ice House when i lived down there, but TRUST ME, i am as country as they come, and there aint NOTHING country or "quintessential" or "stereotypical Texan" about the area. NOTHING. i was looked at funny wearing my regular "cowgirl" clothes, and when they heard my Texas accent, they KNEW i wasn't from around there. couldnt get away fast enough. not my kind of place. (i am a health care professional, by the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau7Prez View Post
Thanks....92 today??? We barely hit 80, and it felt quite cool most of the day. How country is Corpus? Have you or anyone heard of Kevin Fowler? Does he play near there?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:46 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,658,934 times
Hello Tau7Prez! I am moving to Corpus Christi around March 20th. Will be living in the Calallen area, at an apartment complex called "The Rafters". If you go to apartmentratings.com, and rent.com, you can find alot of apartments that fit the bill, with ratings and such.

The Rafters have both 2 and 3 bedroom that fit the bill, but are not as close to the beach as you might like. Seems from what I have seen, the closer you get to the beach, generally the more pricey it gets. But, that is a generalization, I believe there are also some apartments there that might be around your budget.

I chose the area that I did, due to the proximity of work, and the good school district for my 2 kids (Calallen ISD). I think this will work well for my family, and we are still just a short drive to get to the beach if that is where we want to go.

The snow you mentioned, and as HellPaso noted, is a very rare occurance in this part of Texas. There have been years when Corpus hasn't even seen a freeze, and then when freezes do occur, they may only occur an average of 1-4 times during the course of the winter. Corpus Christi weather in comparison to FL weather could be best described as being similar to Central Florida weather during the winter.

Ian

Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 57,191 times
HEY, probably moving to the Kingsville area. Got any info? How far away is the beach? How far away is corpus Christi? I've read there is a lot of crime down there? Anyone know about that?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 PM

8,315 posts, read 28,072,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
yes Kevin Fowler played at the Ice House when i lived down there, but TRUST ME, i am as country as they come, and there aint NOTHING country or "quintessential" or "stereotypical Texan" about the area. NOTHING. i was looked at funny wearing my regular "cowgirl" clothes, and when they heard my Texas accent, they KNEW i wasn't from around there. couldnt get away fast enough. not my kind of place. (i am a health care professional, by the way)

Well-- just about anyone on the Texas Gulf Coast would look at you as an outsider if you look like you just hopped off the chuckwagon. Outside of rodeo season anyway.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,802,118 times
If you want to be near the beach and you're not yet sure where you'll be working, you can also look on the Island or in Flour Bluff for an apartment. In the Bluff you'll be literally 5 minutes from the beach and on the island itself, well, you get it. You'll be right there. Even if you don't end up buying a house out there, you can get all the beach you want for as long as you're there.

As others have said, the snow was an anomaly. It rarely freezes. Weather is generally cool and pleasant from late October to late April and hot from May through September.

Crime is not a problem as long as you aren't a drug dealer or a gang member. Depending on where you live property crime might be an issue (things stolen out of your garage, etc.) but other than that it's not really anything to worry about. And it will be apparent when you're looking at housing which areas might be risky. If the place looks like a dive, don't move there. Since your son is only 2, you'll have some time to check out areas before you buy a house, if you decide to do so.

Country musicians play here fairly regularly and there are a couple of country bars and a a couple of big western wear stores. There's a big Nueces County livestock show every January and other counties have them too. But the vibe is more beachy than country.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,802,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Hello Tau7Prez! I am moving to Corpus Christi around March 20th. Will be living in the Calallen area, at an apartment complex called "The Rafters". If you go to apartmentratings.com, and rent.com, you can find alot of apartments that fit the bill, with ratings and such.

The Rafters have both 2 and 3 bedroom that fit the bill, but are not as close to the beach as you might like. Seems from what I have seen, the closer you get to the beach, generally the more pricey it gets. But, that is a generalization, I believe there are also some apartments there that might be around your budget.

Ian
Congratulations and welcome to town! The Rafters should be a good place for you all to get settled and look around some before you buy, if that's what you end up doing.

Good luck and as always, feel free to DM if you have any questions about anything in particular.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,658,934 times
Thanks, Marlow! I will probably take you up on that, as I am sure I will have lots of questions once I get there next month. I am excited, and look forward to being in the area.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi