Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times

Advertisements

I thought so! Sometimes I'm not real great at catching that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I thought so! Sometimes I'm not real great at catching that.

Yeah, I'm harmless!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,839 times
way too much love going on in here.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,213 times
Awww all the love! <3 <3 <3

Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM

96 posts, read 207,021 times
My thoughts on Corpus Christi. Well I lived in Corpus Christi for 2 years from 04' to 06' then i moved to Austin.

Crime:
The entire time that i stayed there, I only heard about 1 person being murdered. Lots of people could just drive around speeding and break every traffic law imaginable and the cops would never pull them over. It was weird, you would see a cop right behind someone as they ran stop lights, and nothing would happen.
I had a friend that lived in one of the worst apartment complexes, and i would visit often, leave my car there, and nobody would bother it. More than likely, if your not directly involved in crime yourself, you won't experience any at all. I think the crime there is extremely low/non existing. And during the week days after around 11p.m. the streets would be empty. I don't know how they got that high crime rating on CD, it is absolutely ridiculous. Must be lots of domestic/family disputes.

Appearance:
The city looks decent, not the nicest, but not the trashiest. The one thing that amazes me is the fact that the roads there are terrible. The roads are so bad, that almost every car you see has cracks in the front windshield from driving behind trucks that shoot rocks up from the road that hit your window and leave cracks. The heat there cracks your windows also. The beach is okay, nice scenery, some times you might see a few dirty diapers, but thats almost everywhere in corpus.

Shopping:
Horrible. 2 malls, 1 is rundown(Sunrise), and the other (Padre Staples) is full of empty stores, it has more empty stores than it has actual stores, quite boring.
1 bestbuy for the entire city, it was always crowded. The entire time i was there, my gf and I did our shopping via the internet.
Nice movie theaters though, I was pleased with them all, even the dollar cinemas thats located in the mall. They were all nice and clean. Other than that, It was really nowhere to shop, unless you like wal-mart and H.E.B.

People:
The majority is Hispanic/Mexican/American Mexican. There are whites, and there are almost no black people there. I also noticed that the few blacks i saw were always with whites, and that it seemed like the hispanic people only communicated together. It was odd. The whites and blacks I saw out and about looked like they didn't know anyone else in the city and like they were only out to do there bidding, and then return home. The Hispanics were mostly the only ones hanging out seeming to enjoy themselves. The people there were friendly, but the only thing is that if you don't speak spanish, you kind of become left out, since thats the only language it seems like everyone is speaking where ever you go, until they stop to address you, then they continue speaking in spanish.

Dating:
As a guy, I found it very hard to find any intelligent females there in the age group of 20-30. Also the majority of the women there have children, thats not bad, but good luck finding a woman here that doesn't have kids. The 23-25 year old women had kids that were like 7 and 8, it was wierd. Also it seems like the majority of the women my age were extremely easy. The men there were a joke, I'm a pretty descent guy, but in CC i was like the GQ man of the year. Sorry ladies, the guys in CC are extremely lame, and 5'5" tall.

Schools:
Del mar community college, and Texas A&M corpus christi. 2 Del mar campuses, and only 1 texas A&M campus (no Accredited Engineering programs though, you have to commute all the way to Kingsville for that).

Employment:
Kind of networking based. You can find a job here, but it wouldn't hurt to be in the majority. Not many jobs that pay over $10 an hr, except the oil refineries, and good luck getting a job there.

Weather:
Nice weather, but be prepared to have to almost evacuate the city almost every other week during hurricane season.

Entertainment:
None. The beach, a few parks, and thats it, unless you consider that AirCraft carrier fun for the kids. You would be able to experience all the entertainment the city has to offer in 1 day.

Overall:
A good place to go if you just need a break from everything, Easy to concentrate on a goal here, not a big city feel at all, felt safe in every part of the city. Not a good place to shop, I would move back there and go to college, but i just can't deal with the hurricane evacuating situation, that occurs every year during hurricane season. Oh yeah, Almost forgot, the cost of living here is a whole lot lower than normal.

Hope this helps

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
you are so right about the height thing. i am 5ft 8in and towered over most men. which was wierd because I am from Texas, and am used to seeing many tall Texan men, around.....but then again, most of the men were hispanic, and they are not known for their stature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post
My thoughts on Corpus Christi. Well I lived in Corpus Christi for 2 years from 04' to 06' then i moved to Austin.

Crime:
The entire time that i stayed there, I only heard about 1 person being murdered. Lots of people could just drive around speeding and break every traffic law imaginable and the cops would never pull them over. It was weird, you would see a cop right behind someone as they ran stop lights, and nothing would happen.
I had a friend that lived in one of the worst apartment complexes, and i would visit often, leave my car there, and nobody would bother it. More than likely, if your not directly involved in crime yourself, you won't experience any at all. I think the crime there is extremely low/non existing. And during the week days after around 11p.m. the streets would be empty. I don't know how they got that high crime rating on CD, it is absolutely ridiculous. Must be lots of domestic/family disputes.

Appearance:
The city looks decent, not the nicest, but not the trashiest. The one thing that amazes me is the fact that the roads there are terrible. The roads are so bad, that almost every car you see has cracks in the front windshield from driving behind trucks that shoot rocks up from the road that hit your window and leave cracks. The heat there cracks your windows also. The beach is okay, nice scenery, some times you might see a few dirty diapers, but thats almost everywhere in corpus.

Shopping:
Horrible. 2 malls, 1 is rundown(Sunrise), and the other (Padre Staples) is full of empty stores, it has more empty stores than it has actual stores, quite boring.
1 bestbuy for the entire city, it was always crowded. The entire time i was there, my gf and I did our shopping via the internet.
Nice movie theaters though, I was pleased with them all, even the dollar cinemas thats located in the mall. They were all nice and clean. Other than that, It was really nowhere to shop, unless you like wal-mart and H.E.B.

People:
The majority is Hispanic/Mexican/American Mexican. There are whites, and there are almost no black people there. I also noticed that the few blacks i saw were always with whites, and that it seemed like the hispanic people only communicated together. It was odd. The whites and blacks I saw out and about looked like they didn't know anyone else in the city and like they were only out to do there bidding, and then return home. The Hispanics were mostly the only ones hanging out seeming to enjoy themselves. The people there were friendly, but the only thing is that if you don't speak spanish, you kind of become left out, since thats the only language it seems like everyone is speaking where ever you go, until they stop to address you, then they continue speaking in spanish.

Dating:
As a guy, I found it very hard to find any intelligent females there in the age group of 20-30. Also the majority of the women there have children, thats not bad, but good luck finding a woman here that doesn't have kids. The 23-25 year old women had kids that were like 7 and 8, it was wierd. Also it seems like the majority of the women my age were extremely easy. The men there were a joke, I'm a pretty descent guy, but in CC i was like the GQ man of the year. Sorry ladies, the guys in CC are extremely lame, and 5'5" tall.

Schools:
Del mar community college, and Texas A&M corpus christi. 2 Del mar campuses, and only 1 texas A&M campus (no Accredited Engineering programs though, you have to commute all the way to Kingsville for that).

Employment:
Kind of networking based. You can find a job here, but it wouldn't hurt to be in the majority. Not many jobs that pay over $10 an hr, except the oil refineries, and good luck getting a job there.

Weather:
Nice weather, but be prepared to have to almost evacuate the city almost every other week during hurricane season.

Entertainment:
None. The beach, a few parks, and thats it, unless you consider that AirCraft carrier fun for the kids. You would be able to experience all the entertainment the city has to offer in 1 day.

Overall:
A good place to go if you just need a break from everything, Easy to concentrate on a goal here, not a big city feel at all, felt safe in every part of the city. Not a good place to shop, I would move back there and go to college, but i just can't deal with the hurricane evacuating situation, that occurs every year during hurricane season. Oh yeah, Almost forgot, the cost of living here is a whole lot lower than normal.

Hope this helps

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Yes, that is my "comfort zone". I like the cowboy culture, western heritage lifestyle.
Yeah, that word "kickers" was another term I heard down there, describing those who are "cowboy'd up". (And it was annoying, because where I am now, I am not labeled because I don't stand out in a crowd-there are plenty of cowboy/cowgirl/ranchers/cattlemen type here.
Maybe it was all in my head? Nope.
The people I was "hanging" out with? Hmm...fellow colleagues who practice Emergency Medicine. I had no issues with my colleagues. It was the general public-many had extreme mistrust and disdain for non-locals, Anglos, non-Spanish speaking people. I was discriminated against. I cannot even begin to tell you how many women gave me the evil eye when they would see me-very hateful-I wish I could have told them that I had NO desire to steal their 5'2" husbands and that I couldn't help it if their husbands were staring at me. (I did stand out with my height and long blonde hair/blue eyes). It was a miserable experience. And if I had to hear one more "incident" about one of my colleagues getting sued...argh....just because the large indigent population there were looking for ANY reason to sue so they could make some money. There is a REASON why malpractice rates are triple south of the Nueces River. I am not making it up. There is a reason why 90 percent of my colleagues were travelers, paid big bucks, like me, to put up with working there and the high risk of litigation. never again. never. I would rather live in NYC, and let me tell ya, for a small town country girl who dearly loves her state of Texas, that's saying ALOT.
are you "belle of texas"?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've also seen a pic of NotAm and I can imagine there were a lot of jealous women there. I like that~"steal their 5 foot 2 husbands...."
I certainly owe Canine*Castle an apology -- silly me, I had you confused with the Belle of Texas who actually did live in Corpus, and left because all the Corpus women were so jealous of her because she is outstandingly GORGEOUS.

Man -- that's always tough. It's a rotten position to be in - attacked by jealous women all the time. Certainly can't blame her for her animosity toward the town.

CC is the central Texas gal who hates humidity - sorry, I'm kinda new and having trouble keeping everyone straight. Have to admit - I'm from Corpus - but I'm not a water/beach/sand person, I might get to the island once every couple of years. I'm with Canine Castle on the best place to live in Texas - almost anywhere in the country of central Texas. I love both the east and west sides of I-35. Can't really go wrong with either one.

Mea Culpa
K

Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
aww Kibby...if i was that gorgeous, i would have men hitting on me all the time, and i might have found me at least a boyfriend in the year and a half i have lived in Central Texas....ugh..maybe just getting picky in my old age..
p.s. i lived half hour drive from Corpus but worked in and around Corpus everywhere as a contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I certainly owe Canine*Castle an apology -- silly me, I had you confused with the Belle of Texas who actually did live in Corpus, and left because all the Corpus women were so jealous of her because she is outstandingly GORGEOUS.

Man -- that's always tough. It's a rotten position to be in - attacked by jealous women all the time. Certainly can't blame her for her animosity toward the town.

CC is the central Texas gal who hates humidity - sorry, I'm kinda new and having trouble keeping everyone straight. Have to admit - I'm from Corpus - but I'm not a water/beach/sand person, I might get to the island once every couple of years. I'm with Canine Castle on the best place to live in Texas - almost anywhere in the country of central Texas. I love both the east and west sides of I-35. Can't really go wrong with either one.

Mea Culpa
K

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Oh my! You think we should tell CD?
Actually, yes. This is what it says at the bottom of a city's information page.

Add new facts and correct factual errors about Hutto, Texas

I thought of that this morning, but I was in a hurry getting ready for work and didn't have time to mention it. I'm so glad you brought it up. I choose the poster who mentioned the error to let them know. I don't know anything about Hutto and don't want to make another mistake to add on to the one already there.

Good thinking, MaryBeth2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi