U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM

19 posts, read 149,230 times

Advertisements

[quote=wehotex;16753642]Haha, I've never heard it referred to as a "cave" You are referring to the "tunnel" that ran behind the old downtown library that has been torn down for many years. (mesquite & schatzell, i think) you can see the bluff fountain over where the one of the tunnel entrances used to be. the entrance is barricaded now, but open in the early 70s when my grandfather would take us walking down there. even then, i think that the stores were long gone. the other entrance was either at the foot of the white bldg or nixon bldg. businessppl would shop at the tunnel stores or make their way to DT without fear of being runned over. my grandmother was in a radio show in the 1930s called "la hora femenina" at KGFI, the city's only radio station at the time, which was located in that tunnel.
I remember seeing a posted sign there that said "fallout shelter" and asked grandpa what that was. I'm not sure if they still have those or not. One of those out of sight, out of mind things.[/quote]

I also remember the sign you refer to and the tunnel it was attached to. Some eye opening moments of my life came with friends when we snuck in the tunnel after dark. As for the fallout shelter, I was nominated to open the windows in my fifth grade class at Central Park Elementary whenever we had duck and cover drills. In our innocence, we actually believed that we would survive the holocaust by practicing this action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 AM

5 posts, read 24,244 times
Default Wow, thanks for the memories . . .

this thread has been sort of cathartic for me. We moved from CC to North Texas in May and, with the exception of our dear friends, haven't missed it at all. Our hometown has declined and, to us, seems depressed and not just economically. The posts in this thread have resurrected some wonderful memories of the Corpus Christi where I grew up and that I loved. I'll choose to remember it that way.

FYI, Jim Maloney and Murphy Givens have written a wonderful book "1919 -The Storm" about the hurricane that destroyed the city. They are wonderful sources of the city's history. Additionally, Jim has an extensive collection of early postcards that depict CC landmarks (similar to the ones attached to earlier posts in this thread.

Thanks again for stirring up my good memories!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,637,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Haha, I've never heard it referred to as a "cave" You are referring to the "tunnel" that ran behind the old downtown library that has been torn down for many years. (mesquite & schatzell, i think) you can see the bluff fountain over where the one of the tunnel entrances used to be. the entrance is barricaded now, but open in the early 70s when my grandfather would take us walking down there. even then, i think that the stores were long gone. the other entrance was either at the foot of the white bldg or nixon bldg. businessppl would shop at the tunnel stores or make their way to DT without fear of being runned over. my grandmother was in a radio show in the 1930s called "la hora femenina" at KGFI, the city's only radio station at the time, which was located in that tunnel.
I remember seeing a posted sign there that said "fallout shelter" and asked grandpa what that was. I'm not sure if they still have those or not. One of those out of sight, out of mind things.
During the 70's a man named Bill Sweetwater wanted to revive the tunnels and have stores in them but could never get any financial or civic backing. There was a bar of some sort that had a lower level, and there was a series of little above-ground shops on People Street.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,046,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklesea View Post
this thread has been sort of cathartic for me. We moved from CC to North Texas in May and, with the exception of our dear friends, haven't missed it at all. Our hometown has declined and, to us, seems depressed and not just economically. The posts in this thread have resurrected some wonderful memories of the Corpus Christi where I grew up and that I loved. I'll choose to remember it that way.

FYI, Jim Maloney and Murphy Givens have written a wonderful book "1919 -The Storm" about the hurricane that destroyed the city. They are wonderful sources of the city's history. Additionally, Jim has an extensive collection of early postcards that depict CC landmarks (similar to the ones attached to earlier posts in this thread.

Thanks again for stirring up my good memories!
Has Corpus Christi declined? To be fair, it hasn't grown as much as other texas cities of its size nor has it attracted new industry or corp hdqtrs. Imo, it never was a really big city. It always seemed amazing to me when a mjaor dept store or businesses came to Corpus, like foleys, target, starbucks, taco cabana, barnes noble, etc. To me, that marked a sort of progress because those places had been avbl in other cities, but not corpus.

CC has the unique gift of being situated on a Bay that enhances its natural beauty. I'm glad that it has not grown too large. I like the laziness and lack of progression, but wish that it was more scattered throughout the City instead of being so concentrated.

Best wishes to you sparklesea. As long as there are old timers who remember corpus past, there will be this thread. :0

Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 108,153 times
Default Early Corpus

How she looked in 1887. Note the trains on the piers

http://members.toast.net/kf5wd102030/CorpusChristi-1887.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 432,490 times
I too can remember back to a "better" Corpus Christi (or maybe it was just a better time for ME, I don't know....). It seems that CC has declined in some ways. Yes, there *has* been progress, and new businesses and so forth, but there is a....I don't know, "decay" or something. Litter, graffitti, LOTS of delapidated areas of town, pathetic streets.....I don't want CC to be big and glitzy and progressive, but I do want my little backwards South Texas beach town to be clean and well-maintained for what it is.

I've said for years that, if you close one eye, squint, and only look in certain areas, Corpus Christi can look like paradise. It seems that as time goes by, it gets harder and harder to see it. Which saddens me.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,681,008 times
I am thinking the tunnel shops must already have been closed by 1960-61 when I last lived there as a kid? Mom and I used to go downtown to Lichenstein's frequently and I would've thought we would have done this tunnel if there had been any shops in it worth seeing. I'm straining to recall anything about it, as I think it would have impressed me as a kid.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,433,321 times
Quote:
I've said for years that, if you close one eye, squint, and only look in certain areas, Corpus Christi can look like paradise. It seems that as time goes by, it gets harder and harder to see it. Which saddens me.
Paradise is my own patio on a December 3rd, with an outside temp in the 70's and not a cloud or a snowflake to be seen. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 432,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Paradise is my own patio on a December 3rd, with an outside temp in the 70's and not a cloud or a snowflake to be seen. It just doesn't get any better than this.
Good point....this is pretty ideal!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:59 AM

5 posts, read 24,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf5wd View Post
How she looked in 1887. Note the trains on the piers
Thanks, kf5wd, for posting the photo postcard. I can see clearly where my great-grandparents home was located on Waco Street before I-37 was built. I walked those sidewalks many times with my grandmother to visit her sister who lived in a big 2-story house on Comanche.

Would you happen to know if any of those postcards are still for sale anywhere?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi