U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,781,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
As promised, I retook the pics of the old Ship Ahoy building. Here they are:

It's a nice property, surely someone could do something with this building.
The Ship-Ahoy downtown was where we always ate out on special occasions.

I worked at the one on the bay in the summer of 1981. I agree that it's a cool building in a great location. Don't know why nothing has been successful there in a long time but part of it may be that it's so big. I don't know much about restaurant management/economics, but it must be very expensive to run and keep up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM

22 posts, read 107,502 times
It reads as if I had written it. We use to go to Bunks every Friday, it was payday i guess. Loved the hotburger w/yellow gravy all over even your fries! Still think about it. Those days long gone. Seems like things have changed there now. I to remember going to Ayers theatre, 6-Points area, Dr. Hector garcia was our family doc. WHo knew he was famous? Acually we did, a great man indeed.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:35 PM

My uncle was a chef there for a long time, it was great. He went on to open his own place in Cave Creek, Arizona and ran it til he died, he catered for the Dick Van Dyke Show. His food was awesome.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM

2,948 posts, read 4,582,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronje View Post
My uncle was a chef there for a long time, it was great. He went on to open his own place in Cave Creek, Arizona and ran it til he died, he catered for the Dick Van Dyke Show. His food was awesome.
A chef at Ship Ahoy or Bunks?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,161,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronje View Post
I think that my mother knows your uncle's wife, although my mom said he moved to california. She said that he worked at bunks and then really did very well for himself. Is your uncle deceased? I too remember those patties with the golden gravy and those homemade fries. It's a shame that it closed.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roman View Post
I've lived in Corpus Christi since 1978 so for some of the older info I may not be able to help. But I will run down every thing I can remember from back then and what has happened to it now. I'll do my best. I'll start with downtown and work my way up. Here goes

Memorial Coliseum: Gone. Demolished this year. No plans for what may take it's place.
Elmo's Diner: Still there except now it's called City Diner. Same great food and atmosphere.
Ritz Theatre: Currently undergoing restoration. There are a couple of websites dedicated to restoring this amazing theatre.Here is one. The Ritz Theatre Revival - *Home
Centre Theatre: Still there. Hasn't been used in about 5 years. Was being used for concerts and comedians.
Kress Department Store: Is now an art house,club,and surf shop. Believe it or not the original lunch counter is still intact. All it needs is a good cleaning and a renter. I know, I went inside it last year. Everything is still there. Very cool.
Prices Chef: The restaurant at 6 Points is still up and running. Still terrific.
Tower Theatre: At 6 Points has been gone for about 10 years now. A CVS is in it's place.
The Donut Hole: Still serving 'em up. Same place across from Wynn seale Jr.High.
ButterKrust Bakery: It's still standing, but hasn't been operating in years.
Shoppers World: Is now the Corpus Christi Trade Center. It's in the location of a very old drive in theatre. I can't remember the name.
Gibsons:On Kostoryz was turned into an Albertsons and now it's a college test center.
Angelo's Pizza: On Staples closed about 3 years ago. The small building is still there.
Mann Theatre: A church now.
Bel Air Drugs: Is now a Subway
Hamlin Pharmacy: Just celebrated 50 years in business. It has expanded to the 2 shops next door. The original lunch counter is still there as well as the original cook.
Concrete Corvette: still at the Hamlin Shopping Center. Still with the red neon 'For Sale' sign.
Parkdale Plaza:Demolished this year. Making way for a new Wal-Mart.
Cine 6: Liquidation store or something like that. It had been a dance club for a while.
Sunrise Mall: Terrible. There may be 12 stores operating there now. The fountain and game rooms are now more. The dollar Movies still runs but that's about the only attraction now.
Padre Staples Mall: Now called La Palmera. Very nice. This is a beautiful place to shop now. Lots of choices.

If I can think of a few other things I'll add too this. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Hello,
Love your updates! We moved away in 1999 and don't get back as much as we'd like to. Where was the Centre Theatre and when did Horace Lyttle's Farmers Market close? Did Old Mexico ever open again? Thanks for the memories!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,161,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpuswashome View Post
Hello,
Love your updates! We moved away in 1999 and don't get back as much as we'd like to. Where was the Centre Theatre and when did Horace Lyttle's Farmers Market close? Did Old Mexico ever open again? Thanks for the memories!
Centre theater was on the opposite side of Lichtensteins, about 1 block north, towards the Harbor bridge. Horace Lytle's? I haven't heard that in a while. I think that was on SPID between Everhart and Weber on the northside (KIII side) of the street. There is a hospice administration bldg there now.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 AM

No, at Ship Ahoy

Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,972,809 times
Is Floyd's still open? Still have great chicken fried steak?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:04 AM

No, they moved to Cave Creek,Arizona, he died a few years ago. Had daughters named Reyna, Isabel, and Debra. They are doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi