U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM

22 posts, read 107,514 times

Advertisements

That's where all the Elvis Premieres took place, always at midnight! We were always there,LOL.

That was a long time ago. Lichtenstein's (they became Frost Brothers) was where we shopped for school clothes and S&Q, remember Fedway? They became Dillards downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM

The last thing I ever bought at Woolco's was the triple album by George Harrison, "All things must pass". It was $8.29 , man that was alot of money back then. I still have the reciept and album set. Even George Harrison is gone now.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 PM

2,948 posts, read 4,585,593 times
Does anybody remember when "Al Capone's" Yacht was berthed at the T-Head? This was around the late 70's early 80's. Anybody know what happened to it?

I was able to find these recollections on the Internet, but can't vouch for their accuracy:

"Jimmy Storm and Celika Storm of Marine Drilling in Corpus Christi bought the yacht and I worked as a deckhand on the "Celika S", name of the yacht. We had the diesel's rebuilt, recaulked and sanded the teak deaks, the whole yacht was refurbished with new paint, new everything. Had original paintings throughout the boat, even one painting by a monkey. The Captain that I worked under was Billy Pugh, a retired Naval destroyer commander, who would take the yacht out and could pivot it from the middle, which was necessary to exit the CC marina. Old man Storm hired an ex-Nazi chef from a restuarant on HYW 35 in Palacious. Bought out the chef's restaurant and had him come cook for the Parties. There was all new galley with stainless everything and walk- coolers. There was a dumb waiter that went up thru the deck into the dining room. I was fifteen-sixteen years old at the time and remember it like it was yesterday. The most colorful character was an old seaman nicknamed Tooter Brown who would bring back "dancers" from the ***** Cat club about two blocks away. He made a big impression on me, wish I knew what happened to him. The old man made his money by drilling and building offshore drilling rigs. He was financed by his wife's Dad who happened to be the President of Venezuela. She was quite a bwitch too. He would drive his blueprinted shelby mustang down to the T-heads to visit. If anyone knows where the old Yacht is, drop me a line at rednksurfer@yahoo.com."

And this:
"In 2003 I went aboard an old yacht in Oakland, CA to do some engine repair work. The owner told me it had been owned by Al Capone, showed me around, including the hideaway bar, etc. When we went up to the bridge I had a good look around. It looks just like your picture above.
The yacht I was on was said to be 138 feet long. Th owner said it was in real bad shape when he bought it, but he'd done a lot of work to it and the after section and main deck areas were in pretty good shape. At the time he made occasional runs between Oakland and Sacramento.
I don't know if it is still there."

The picture can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weissfoto/2143548321/ (broken link)

Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM

2,948 posts, read 4,585,593 times
At the same time there was also a boat that looked like a Chinese Junk. I always wondered what the story was behind it. Where was it built? Why was it here? Who owned it?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,660 times
Thumbs up Old mental hospital in corpus christi, thames st

Does anybody rememeber or know of wat was at briarwood apts before thy was here, there located on 1701 thames st off willams behind the century 16 theather , any info would help,

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM

25 posts, read 62,205 times
Default Ship Ahoy recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jronje View Post
No, at Ship Ahoy
Hi,

Any chance you or your cousins might have some of the old Ship Ahoy recipes? Looking for the Fried Shrimp and Thousand Island dressing.

Thanks

Does anyone remember Nolan's Beer Garden and their Poor Boy sandwich?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,172,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post
Hi,

Any chance you or your cousins might have some of the old Ship Ahoy recipes? Looking for the Fried Shrimp and Thousand Island dressing.

Thanks

Does anyone remember Nolan's Beer Garden and their Poor Boy sandwich?
I have an uncle that used to cook at ship ahoy downtown. I'll ask him.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Default recipies

Im sure my uncle knew them, he worked there a long time, before he opened up his own place in Cave Creek, Arizona. But he's passed away now. That man could could for sure! I can still taste their thousand Island dressing, it was perfect.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,368 times
Default Good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keno-kid View Post
I and our family moved from Ocean View, Virgina to North Beach, Corpus Christi in the summer of 1948. Reynolds Metals was in its early construction. We rented a place The Old Mill Courts on Timon Blvd for 10 dollars a week. There was good fishing from the Plantation pier run by the Alarcon family and had the night spot called the Plantation Club. This was heaven to me, a 12 year old new to Texas. There was the carnival, roller skating rink, Beach Theator where I stood in a block long line to watch the war movie " Battleground". there was a recreation center @ Kiwanis field to play ping pong, basketball, softball. Boy Scout troop # 22 met there also. I fished all around, on and by the Bascule Bridge. Great Place to grow up. I also had two paper routes.I delivered the Caller in the morning before school and the Times in the afternoon when the Caller and Times were different editions. The winter visitors played schuffleboard @ the rec. center.I have many memories of North Beach and walking to David Hirsch elemtary school over the other side of the Bascule Bridge before going on to Northside Junior High then on to Roy Miller High. Times have changed and the friends I had are gone, but it was great.Bruce Shugart !!
Hello
We moved to North Beach in 1947 from west Texas. I was 12.We first stayed in a motel next to the Plantation club. The beach and the pier were great fun after coming from west Texas. There was a very large inflatable raft anchored off the beach to swim under. We later moved to the Bluebonnet motel for a while. later we moved a few blockes on the other side of the bridge. We lived around the corner from the safeway. I was a member of troop 22 , they met in a building at David Hirsch. I did three years in Northside. We moved to the W.B.Ray area for high school.
I was in band with Rosemarie Alarcon. She was the most beautiful girl I ever saw. I talked to Mr. Malins the band director years later, he said she killed herself. Pity! When I was on North Beach, my greatest joy was to get a nickle to ride the bumper cars. I did not know it then but Northside had a yearbook. I would love to see one. Corpus was a great town to grow up in. Too bad we can't meet a Pic's or Sue's for a malt!! Carroll Hurst

Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 7,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Please do share! I only lived in corpus from 1963 (birth year) to 1986, although I go back often to visit my parents. If there was a whataburger across from Wynn Seale, it was long gone by the time that I was driving. I do remember the Picks Drive-in just across from the Butter Krust bakery. where was the lexington drive-in? I only remember the "Thunderbird", which was still open in the early 70s. Drive-ins were a lot of fun. I wish that they were still around.
It was the Boulevard Drive Inn Theater on Lexington Blvd. I have a lot of fond childhood memories of this theater, because I grew up within walking distance. I found the following post on another site that gives a little history.

Yakima1 on May 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm
The Boulevard actually opened in early 1942 right after the beginning of WWII. It suffered the common ‘blackouts’ that drive-ins adhered to to prevent enemy bombings or spyings at night.

Address: 2801 Lexington Ave (S.P.I.D.) | Capacity: 300 cars | Opened: Thursday Feb 5, 1942 | First Feature: “My Life With Caroline” (1 August 1941) starring Ronald Colman, Anna Lee | Owner / Builder: Lone Star Amusement aka Southwest Theaters – CA Richter, Leon Newman | Closed: Sunday Jul 16, 1961 (Last ad in Caller) | Currently (2010): Corpus Christi Trade Center (formerly GMC Membership Store opening Dec 1, 1961 and later a Shopper’s World)

The oroginal projection booth and concession stand and the offices that were headquarters for Doc Richter are still standing in the parking lot of the Trade Center. I believe they are being used as an auto shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi