U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,173,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Link Limb View Post
It was the Boulevard Drive Inn Theater on Lexington Blvd. I have a lot of fond childhood memories of this theater, because I grew up within walking distance. I found the following post on another site that gives a little history.

Yakima1 on May 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm
The Boulevard actually opened in early 1942 right after the beginning of WWII. It suffered the common ‘blackouts’ that drive-ins adhered to to prevent enemy bombings or spyings at night.

Address: 2801 Lexington Ave (S.P.I.D.) | Capacity: 300 cars | Opened: Thursday Feb 5, 1942 | First Feature: “My Life With Caroline” (1 August 1941) starring Ronald Colman, Anna Lee | Owner / Builder: Lone Star Amusement aka Southwest Theaters – CA Richter, Leon Newman | Closed: Sunday Jul 16, 1961 (Last ad in Caller) | Currently (2010): Corpus Christi Trade Center (formerly GMC Membership Store opening Dec 1, 1961 and later a Shopper’s World)

The oroginal projection booth and concession stand and the offices that were headquarters for Doc Richter are still standing in the parking lot of the Trade Center. I believe they are being used as an auto shop.
Thanks for posting that. I'll look for that next time that I'm in that area. Just remembered that the drive in that I remember as a kid was the Viking, not the the Thunderbird. I looked up the thunderbird theater and discovered that it was near the intersection of navigation and leopard sts. When I drove to see it, I found out that it was converted into an office park that kept the "thunderbird" name and logo. In fact, you can see the original u-turn curb when entering the office park. I think that it's pretty classy the way that they kept the name.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 AM

22 posts, read 107,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronje View Post
That's where all the Elvis Premieres took place, always at midnight! We were always there,LOL.

That was a long time ago. Lichtenstein's (they became Frost Brothers) was where we shopped for school clothes and S&Q, remember Fedway? They became Dillards downtown.
Also Mission, Greens' Jewlers, Braslau's Furniture. Morris Litchenstein and his wife, local leaders in many ways. These were all great Jewish familys' that cared about that the area, my parents knew many of them. I guess I did to, but was too young to know who I knew. Doctors Hector, Joseph and Cleo Garcia were personal friends as well. Gee I miss Bunks Diner across Sears in Uptown. I miss their Hotburger with the yellow gravy and homemade fries.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,467,397 times
Corpus Christi was like a home away from home when I was growing up. Back then my father worked for Xerox in San Antonio. During the summer, he would work temporaraily in Corpus Christi servicing Xerox equipment. We would stay at the La Quinta Royale, think it was on Water St. I remember the Kress five and dime and the Frost Brothers nearby the hotel. We would also go to Padre Staples Mall as well as Sunrise Mall. This was back in '81, I think Sunrise Mall recently opened, everything look so new and clean. On Fridays we would head to the T-Heads and have dinner at Captain Boomer's. The last time I was In Corpus was in 2002 and Captain Boomer's was Landry's. Lots of great memories that I will always treasure!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 AM

22 posts, read 107,535 times
Ship Ahoy

Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
jpb

9 posts, read 38,123 times
i spent a couple of years in CC. first lived under the south bridge at the marina and worked at Magic Isles.Later worked at Sambo's before moving to North Beach to work on the grain elevator demolition. we used to live at Mr Tingles apts. right on the beach for $70 dollars a week. beer was less than a buck at the elbow room. sweeeet. it's all condos now i bet.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 AM

25 posts, read 62,223 times
Default Dragon grill

My Daddy was working for Doc at the Dragon Grill when I was born in 1950. Joe Ming became one of the top chefs in Corpus and worked at many private clubs like the Surf Club at the Sandy Shores, the Mustang Supper Club and I believe the Petroleum Club as well. They were all private clubs so they could serve liquor.

"After fire destroyed Linn K. “Doc” Mason’s Dragon Grill on North Beach in 1944, he leased the Elks Club Building at Water and Starr streets. For seven years, from 1946 until 1953, the Dragon Grill was an oasis of night life in Corpus Christi. Gigi Starnes in the Nueces County Historical Commission Bulletin in 1989 provides a detailed look at the gold-and-glitter of the famous Dragon Grill. Guests entered through hand-hammered copper doors set in a wood-paneled foyer. The Zodiac dining room could seat 500. Murals presented scenes of a Swedish couple’s courtship and marriage. Between the murals were floral patterns of coral and silver. A raised dance floor was covered with maple parquet. The orchestra stand was draped with glittering silver cloth and filled with gold chairs for the musicians. Ceiling lights of red, blue, green and white were lowered to a romantic glow.

The second floor housed the Chinese cooks, who were under the supervision of head chef Joe Ming. On the third floor was the Jalna Room. You could get there only by special elevator operated by “Pop” Powers. The marble-walled room attracted gamblers from all over. Warning lights and buzzers signaled when law-enforcement made an unwelcome visit. Cards, dice and money could be concealed behind secret panels and moveable walls. The third floor was a maze of sliding panels, hidden rooms, secret exits. (The construction worker in my neighborhood came across one of those secret exits.)

In August 1953, an enterprising policeman gained access to the Jalna Room. When players threw down their chips, he threw down his badge. Mason was charged with running an illegal gambling operation, but was not indicted. In 1954, he sold out to the Town Club; it moved in 1988 to One Shoreline Plaza. Since then, several tenants have occupied the building that once housed Corpus Christi’s most famous nightclub."

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 21,579 times
my oldest memory of CC is Moravian Hall on Kostoryz Rd. and the phone booth and messing around behind the stage. My greatgrandfather, Leo Netek, giving me a ceramic cat that he won as a bingo prize back in 1964.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,927 times
That is probably the best thing anyone has said on the Colisuem issue...How sad how corpus is always talking about raising taxes!!! But have all this land and not want to do anything with it...

Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 PM

355 posts, read 480,681 times
My family drove down from Dallas for a vacation in CC in August, 1957. We stayed a a little motel called the Sand and Sea. What is at that location now?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,878 times
I havent been on this forum for awhile, but has anyone been able to assist me with providing information about a bar/lounge (I think it was called "The Alcove") from th mid 1980's...I think it was on Timon street and when we visit Corpus every year, I drive by but it is just a vacant and abandoned lot now. I think the lounge had an igloo-shaped front with pool tables, bar, darts in back.
Thanks,
Jerry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi