U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 05:12 AM

25 posts, read 64,552 times

Advertisements

"Remembering the 1950's, Corpus Christi, Tri Drive on Staples, great hamburgers with special sauce."

I remember the TRI-DRIVE well. I was just a kid then, the hamburgers were great but it was the fried pies that really made it memorable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM

22 posts, read 110,565 times
At Ship Ahoy

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM

22 posts, read 110,565 times
No they moved to Cave Creek Arizona, not California. there he opened his own place, worked it till he died a few years ago. I'm under the impression that it was bought after his death and is still open. It was southwestern food, really many would think mexican, but very different than Mex-Tex food.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,331,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jronje View Post
No they moved to Cave Creek Arizona, not California. there he opened his own place, worked it till he died a few years ago. I'm under the impression that it was bought after his death and is still open. It was southwestern food, really many would think mexican, but very different than Mex-Tex food.
Are you the one who is related to the man who owned or worked at Bunk's? Do you think that the Cave Creek, Ariz place would still make that awesome patty with the yellow gravy and fries?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 20,753 times
Default Dr. Grossman Acne treatments

Does anyone remember having xray and ultraviolet treatments back in the 50's from Dr. Grossman and now having skin cancers as I do?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,331,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoney View Post
Does anyone remember having xray and ultraviolet treatments back in the 50's from Dr. Grossman and now having skin cancers as I do?

Was that standard medical practice back then? You might have better luck going on facebook under "we Grew up in Corpus Christi" and ask someone on there.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM

8 posts, read 50,115 times
Buccaneer Bowl? I went to the nursery there in the early sixties. It was a big gymnasium. My father, Hubert [Hub] played in the minor bowling leagues for many years. As pre~teens, my sister, Deidre, & I practiced cheer~leading stunts in the big triangular foyer of the Ladies restroom, in front of a mirrored wall. Once, we were taken for a tour of the area behind the lanes. As a teenager, I walked to 'the alley' at night with my friends, to play foos~ball, sometimes 'hanging out' in the parking lot, too. The only bonfire [besides on the beach] that I recall was in the girl's restroom at Shannon Jr. High. [formerly Sundeen] Someone started it because the school would not heat the room. On the electric company; the logo was Reddy Kilowatt, a cartoon character. I used to wear vintage screw~on earrings made of red metallic Reddy Kilowatts. Unforgettable K~Nockers! Who could forget that sound? Up~down, up~down... Clackers! [different brand names & [or] nicknames] The students at Rockport~Fulton Jr. High surely don't. We were hooked on the toy; regardless of arms covered in bruises & an occasional bonk on the head or chest. I returned to the Sparkling City By The Sea in the Summer of '72. I had been living in Fulton Beach & Holiday Beach, where my grand~parents, the Deasons, owned wooded & waterfront properties. I spent some time in Flour Bluff & Portland around that time, where they also lived. My Who remembers the spider? monkey that was always leashed to a palm tree next to a shell shop on the way to Padre? [in the early sixties]

Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM

I don't recall the grand opening of Padre~Staples Mall; but I do recall when Sunrise Mall opened to compete; right across the street. I worked at Padre~staples; or 'The Mall', as we called it. Joey Salem was my boss; the owner at Joey's Jewelers. I also worked in his extra kiosk, also in the mall. I went there from King [Richard High School, on Mustang Trail] as part of the Industrial Cooperative Training Program. When I was older, I worked at Down South Surf Wear, across the street from the Mall [NW corner] I had a free ticket to every concert in town, including the Ritz Music Hall. Before that, I'd just win them free on the radio, by calling in. When we skipped school [Shannon], we would always go play music at someone's house, then walk to The Mall in a large group. We always sat in a circular pow~wow formation in the middle of the concourse, wearing corduroy pants. Those were short~waisted hip~huggers which showed our 'cracks' when we sat in the lotus position, to talk.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Cool. I went to Buccaneer Bowl for years. But, what happened to the gorgeous Creole beach village scened murals covering the huge wall at Mammy's Cafeteria, next to the Ayers Theatre. [was it spelled like that?] The food was superb.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM

My mother went to Dr. Bernard Grossman for some years. Although she raved about him; she died of cancer at age 60. I went to him once or twice. When I told him my symptoms, he told me to quit trying to diagnose myself. I don't know about any radiation treatments. She passed in '98. I think he has passed, also; not sure.

Last edited by KimProvision; 02-05-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi