U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 AM
 
35 posts, read 111,698 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Ah !! Formerly Mack's or Mac's Restaurant, Del Mar classmates and I would go there after Chemistry and Physics exams in 1964/1965. They served the best burgers at a sit down eatery! I left in '66 to study at U off Houston and returned several years later to see the new sign of the Peking at the corner of about Buford/Water, in back of Memorial Coliseum. A Pharmacy classmate of mine and his family came down from Houston in about 1972 or so, we went to eat there, my friend spoke Cantonese, the owner spoke Mandarin. The owner, friendly guy who also was a professor of Engineering TAMU, had mentioned he owned several restaurants in Texas. They conversed in English since they spoke different dialects. They were from different provinces,theus the difference in dialects.
That place lasted a few yrs then shut down after mid 70's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM
 
35 posts, read 111,698 times
Reputation: 17
Correction it should be Shoreline South and not Water Street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 882,569 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Thanks for the interesting info Rust!

What can anybody, especially Parmadoc!, tell me about this place?

Peking Restaurant - 601 S. Shoreline Dr. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That place seems to be the "Peking Restaurant" at 601 South Shoreline Dr.
When was it built?
Who owned it?
What food did they serve there?
When did they shut down?
Was the building anything but this restaurant?

Thanks!
P.S I am happy this Fourm is still active!
You're quite welcome City Detective. It's refreshing to read someone like Parmadoc, yourself and a few others, with a steel-trap memory for details, time, subject, person(s) and place.

Yes, note this Forum is slow to post but appears to be read closely. I've recently mentioned City-Data and Corpus to a few old Corpus/Laredo friends. . .hopefully some fresh new blood to boost things.

Your post with regard to the old "Peking Restaurant" with photograph prompted a few recollections.
Two dates in Corpus I'll never forget are August 10 and December 8th. 1980. Of course Allen hit on the 10th. and on Dec. 8th. I was performing downtown and heard John Lennon had been killed. I seem to recall the old "Peking" with roof collapsed and wall(s) caved in after Allen. In 1981 another Peking opened on Weber Rd. the "Peking Palace."

Rust
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
 
47 posts, read 138,634 times
Reputation: 36
Does anybody remember what any of the businesses along "antique lane" on alameda in front of the H.E.B near the old Buccaneer Bowl?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 882,569 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Does anybody remember what any of the businesses along "antique lane" on alameda in front of the H.E.B near the old Buccaneer Bowl?
Music curated for this missive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZ1ZatTlHc


I have concerns . . . Allow me to preface this response, Mister City Detective. I remember the real City Detective from 1955. I was planted in front of the tv, as a child living on Center Street, in 1956, watching the sinking of the SS Andrea Doria, City Detective, Highway Patrol, and The Cantwell Mattress Show.

In that era, the Cantwell Mattress Company was located on N. Staples St, but back to your question. In the beginning (of my world ) the specific site you address was predominately single family residential dwellings adjacent, Roberts St., to what was called the "Alameda Shopping Center" (ASC) across Alameda was, at time, an old strip center and the A&W Root Beer Drive-In. A donut shop was located on that small triangular shaped property in front of the aforementioned old strip center. This was thirty years before the old Quorum Club displaced the A&W, circa 1980 something. Btw, Mr. Bill Porter's the "Torch Restaurant" was just up Alameda, and still exist, to my knowledge.

My first haircuts were at the barber shop once located in the referenced ASC with a dated shoeshine man/stand. There was a pharmacy in the ASC where I bought pure cinnamon oil to make cinnamon toothpicks. On the north end of the ASC was a Jitney Jungle grocery store, the site of my first summer job. I refused to wash dishes in the restaurant.In the ASC proper, near the dogleg or small "L" south of Jitney Jungle was a small bakery, a fabric store. and shoe repair shop. I still remember the smell of leather first encountered in that shop. A small dry cleaner's drop off was once located a few doors down and an antique shop. Not forgetting a family partnership with another restaurant located on the south end of ASC named the Town & Country, still extant, to my knowledge, although under different ownership. The ASC abutted on Roberts St. where directly behind the mentioned Town & Country, on Roberts, was a small family operated greenhouse. The old "Club Robert" displaced the greenhouse later.

Just recalled, before the HEB was build, when the old Buccaneer Bowl still existed (1981?) was a very small Vietnamese sundries/grocery store. I seem to recall an old discount gas station/car-wash on the corner of Alameda and Robert. Businesses in the old strip center included a coin-operated laundry, motorcycle repair shop, a ladies beauty shop, a tv repair shop and later (1980) a Nolan's (pre-divorce) with it's odd Norman roof and faux timber frame facade, now some sort of steak house. The front street is Avalon St with one of those red barn like drive through convenience stores at the intersection with Avalon and Roberts. South on Avalon were several antiques stores, a lamp shop and various small retail stores.

I have a great story with regard to where Texas citizen's tax dollars were spent (wasted) related to the ladies beauty shop and that alley that once existed behind it that I'll draw the curtain of decency across.
In brief, that rich old politician spent most of his time in Austin but maintained a home, a very nice one, on the Garza Strip (Santa Fe and Ocean Dr. area) for his very young and beautiful girlfriend. It was proof of the "trickle-down theory" with economic growth and wealth creation that benefits everyone, . . .well maybe not everyone. I'll leave it with, "He who tells the truth must have one foot in the stirrup."

City Detective, now comes the "I have concerns part."

Being a lowly newbie to City-Data, old, mostly bed-bound with infirmities and electronics who enjoys reminiscing with folks I don't know in Cyber Space about my old home town . . with only one friend, I need to be . . .circumspect.

It appears you can get in trouble on City-Data in a heartbeat for trying to be helpful. One never knows
whom you may be speaking with. Honestly, lately I picture some aging housewife, trapped in a trailer park, sitting in her frumpish bathrobe, making up "caca" on her bitter keyboard hating life.


Rust . . .who always had fast horses and one foot in the stirrup.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 17,331,366 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Music curated for this missive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZ1ZatTlHc


I have concerns . . . Allow me to preface this response, Mister City Detective. I remember the real City Detective from 1955. I was planted in front of the tv, as a child living on Center Street, in 1956, watching the sinking of the SS Andrea Doria, City Detective, Highway Patrol, and The Cantwell Mattress Show.

In that era, the Cantwell Mattress Company was located on N. Staples St, but back to your question. In the beginning (of my world ) the specific site you address was predominately single family residential dwellings adjacent, Roberts St., to what was called the "Alameda Shopping Center" (ASC) across Alameda was, at time, an old strip center and the A&W Root Beer Drive-In. A donut shop was located on that small triangular shaped property in front of the aforementioned old strip center. This was thirty years before the old Quorum Club displaced the A&W, circa 1980 something. Btw, Mr. Bill Porter's the "Torch Restaurant" was just up Alameda, and still exist, to my knowledge.

My first haircuts were at the barber shop once located in the referenced ASC with a dated shoeshine man/stand. There was a pharmacy in the ASC where I bought pure cinnamon oil to make cinnamon toothpicks. On the north end of the ASC was a Jitney Jungle grocery store, the site of my first summer job. I refused to wash dishes in the restaurant.In the ASC proper, near the dogleg or small "L" south of Jitney Jungle was a small bakery, a fabric store. and shoe repair shop. I still remember the smell of leather first encountered in that shop. A small dry cleaner's drop off was once located a few doors down and an antique shop. Not forgetting a family partnership with another restaurant located on the south end of ASC named the Town & Country, still extant, to my knowledge, although under different ownership. The ASC abutted on Roberts St. where directly behind the mentioned Town & Country, on Roberts, was a small family operated greenhouse. The old "Club Robert" displaced the greenhouse later.

Just recalled, before the HEB was build, when the old Buccaneer Bowl still existed (1981?) was a very small Vietnamese sundries/grocery store. I seem to recall an old discount gas station/car-wash on the corner of Alameda and Robert. Businesses in the old strip center included a coin-operated laundry, motorcycle repair shop, a ladies beauty shop, a tv repair shop and later (1980) a Nolan's (pre-divorce) with it's odd Norman roof and faux timber frame facade, now some sort of steak house. The front street is Avalon St with one of those red barn like drive through convenience stores at the intersection with Avalon and Roberts. South on Avalon were several antiques stores, a lamp shop and various small retail stores.

I have a great story with regard to where Texas citizen's tax dollars were spent (wasted) related to the ladies beauty shop and that alley that once existed behind it that I'll draw the curtain of decency across.
In brief, that rich old politician spent most of his time in Austin but maintained a home, a very nice one, on the Garza Strip (Santa Fe and Ocean Dr. area) for his very young and beautiful girlfriend. It was proof of the "trickle-down theory" with economic growth and wealth creation that benefits everyone, . . .well maybe not everyone. I'll leave it with, "He who tells the truth must have one foot in the stirrup."

City Detective, now comes the "I have concerns part."

Being a lowly newbie to City-Data, old, mostly bed-bound with infirmities and electronics who enjoys reminiscing with folks I don't know in Cyber Space about my old home town . . with only one friend, I need to be . . .circumspect.

It appears you can get in trouble on City-Data in a heartbeat for trying to be helpful. One never knows
whom you may be speaking with. Honestly, lately I picture some aging housewife, trapped in a trailer park, sitting in her frumpish bathrobe, making up "caca" on her bitter keyboard hating life.


Rust . . .who always had fast horses and one foot in the stirrup.
Interesting. Wasn't there a gas station on the corner of Everhart & Alameda? The Burger Chef was on the corner of S Alameda & Everhart for as long as I can remember. I loved that place. In the same strip (circa 1980) was a laundromat, Dunkin Donuts, Levy's Jewish Delicatessen. In the strip heading south from there (the "Y") was a red "Party Barn" and a fab BBQ place called "A & M". The owners were the parents of a fellow classmate at King High. The HEB was the Buccaneer Bowl. There was a smaller HEB before that in Town & Country near the corner of Everhart & So Alameda (north end). Did the Culps (owners of Nolan's) divorce? ****Wow. Care to spill the beans on the rich politician? He must be dead by now. I take it that Dr Ross Garza moved out of that adobe looking home sometime back?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 882,569 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Interesting. Wasn't there a gas station on the corner of Everhart & Alameda?<

Yes, I believe there was but I couldn't see it in my mind's eye so I didn't guess

> The Burger Chef was on the corner of S Alameda & Everhart for as long as I can remember. I loved that place. < There again, I wasn't sure<

In the same strip (circa 1980) was a laundromat, Dunkin Donuts, Levy's Delicatessen. Jewish In the strip heading south from there (the "Y") was a red "Party Barn" and a fab BBQ place called "A & M". The owners were the parents of a fellow classmate at King High. The HEB was the Buccaneer Bowl. <

Bear in mind, I left CC in early 1963 and didn't return until Aug. 9th 1980. That massive storm Allen blew me back in town. I believe Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain‏. You are absolutely correct about Levy's. I warmly recall Mrs. Sylvia Levy but I associate the Levy's more with Temple Beth El . . . and missed it. Good for you.

There was a smaller HEB before that in Town & Country near the corner of Everhart & So Alameda (north end). Did the Culps (owners of Nolan's) divorce? ****Wow. <

Soundtrack: Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - YouTube Fitting upon reflection.

Frankly, that was talk of the town among the local restaurateurs when Nolan's was beginning to go down. I don't know it for a fact. I didn't know the Culps. I do recall the Poor Boy's at Nolan's Beer Garden And Delicatessen on Ayers. I found quite often the local folks didn't distinguish facts from opinions and wishful thinking. In 1959 when Flipo's Restaurant went in at Six Points . . .a family member sent him a large bouquet of white lilies with a card that read: " I know the fate of Flipo. "

Care to spill the beans on the rich politician? He must be dead by now. I take it that Dr Ross Garza moved out of that adobe looking home sometime back?
Did you by any chance know Judson Marsters? He was a Friend who said if that ever gets out they'll find your body in the bay. Yep, he's dead but she's not. I spoke with her recently.

Concerning "Casa Débris" Louisiana Avenue, Corpus Christi, Texas, United States | Instant Google Street View

In contrast to the many vapid post found here, mine tend to be somewhat verbose (ie: wordy) when I get my teeth into an issue that interests me. Not that I necessarily have much to say, but I can say it at some length.

Rust
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2014, 06:48 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 17,331,366 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Did you by any chance know Judson Marsters? He was a Friend who said if that ever gets out they'll find your body in the bay. Yep, he's dead but she's not. I spoke with her recently.

Concerning "Casa Débris" Louisiana Avenue, Corpus Christi, Texas, United States | Instant Google Street View

In contrast to the many vapid post found here, mine tend to be somewhat verbose (ie: wordy) when I get my teeth into an issue that interests me. Not that I necessarily have much to say, but I can say it at some length.

Rust
Where was "Flipo's"? I've heard of it before, but it's a restaurant from the 50s/60s. Why do you call that house "casa debris"? For years, it was one of the most distinctive houses on Ocean Drive.
Do you REALLY think that your body would end up in the bay if you divulged the secret of that politico? I would guess "Hayden Head". Candyman, Candyman, Candyman
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 882,569 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Where was "Flipo's"? I've heard of it before, but it's a restaurant from the 50s/60s. Why do you call that house "casa debris"? For years, it was one of the most distinctive houses on Ocean Drive.
Do you REALLY think that your body would end up in the bay if you divulged the secret of that politico? I would guess "Hayden Head". Candyman, Candyman, Candyman
Wehotex, I noted you do not closely read these post in your first response . . . If you go back and reread my post to City Detective, then yours, you will find it's a glaring fact. I provided the exact location of "Flipo's" in my second post.


I'm going to walk you to the front door.

It's 1959 (still love those 1958 Cadillacs) We have just dropped off some reels for Mr. Bacon at Cage's Hardware (Alameda @ Six Points) we walk out of Cage's and turn right. . . continuing pass the old McInnis Book Store, to the corner on Ayers St. We walk across Ayers to the manhole cover, standing there you're looking at what appears to be three large blue . . .panels of something. THAT, was the front door of "Flipo's."

Ayers Street, Corpus Christi, Texas, United States | Instant Google Street View

I'll explain the Casa later. . . maybe, depending upon more attentive reading and comprehension skills.

Here is an old 1930's home located at 1715 Ocean Dr. It was the Frank Crook residence. Having spent no small amount of time there before I was 17, I can describe in detail not only the house and greenhouse but a very unique feature few people in CC know exist. What's more, Mr. Crook from the perspective of a ten-year-old. He explained how to do a thing in language a 10 year old could grasp. That information served me throughout my entire life.

http://tinyurl.com/orqf49j
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 17,331,366 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Wehotex, I noted you do not closely read these post in your first response . . . If you go back and reread my post to City Detective, then yours, you will find it's a glaring fact. I provided the exact location of "Flipo's" in my second post.


I'm going to walk you to the front door.

It's 1959 (still love those 1958 Cadillacs) We have just dropped off some reels for Mr. Bacon at Cage's Hardware (Alameda @ Six Points) we walk out of Cage's and turn right. . . continuing pass the old McInnis Book Store, to the corner on Ayers St. We walk across Ayers to the manhole cover, standing there you're looking at what appears to be three large blue . . .panels of something. THAT, was the front door of "Flipo's."

Ayers Street, Corpus Christi, Texas, United States | Instant Google Street View

I'll explain the Casa later. . . maybe, depending upon more attentive reading and comprehension skills.

Here is an old 1930's home located at 1715 Ocean Dr. It was the Frank Crook residence. Having spent no small amount of time there before I was 17, I can describe in detail not only the house and greenhouse but a very unique feature few people in CC know exist. What's more, Mr. Crook from the perspective of a ten-year-old. He explained how to do a thing in language a 10 year old could grasp. That information served me throughout my entire life.

http://tinyurl.com/orqf49j
Oh whatever dude. You'll die of loneliness on this forum. There are few old time Corpus Christians that are computer literate enough or have the desire to entertain the old days in corpus. No need to be so arrogant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top