U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 PM

553 posts, read 916,798 times

Advertisements

Recall a conversation with Stephen Boutwell (GM) that it was selling to a local Subaru dealership. According to Boutwell, Larry Sparks, one of the original owners, there were no specific plans to reopen. Considering the BDOB has been around since the later 60's - well, the owner's are getting a bit long in the teeth now. That was the last of four BDOB locations and no longer up to the old stellar standards. At one time, in the 80's, it was the best seafood in town. Still recall the Boudin Balls, Fisherman's Platter and Bloody Marys.
Btw, Mr. Sparks died last March.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 PM

47 posts, read 144,716 times
I remember going to Black Diamond Oyster Bar last year and it was in a very depressing state. It was dark, dingy, and waaaaay understaffed. I am not happy it closed down, but there was no updating or plans to bring back its original taste.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
I remember going to Black Diamond Oyster Bar last year and it was in a very depressing state. It was dark, dingy, and waaaaay understaffed. I am not happy it closed down, but there was no updating or plans to bring back its original taste.
The BDOB had a good run, some 45 years. Many don't realize just how hard and demanding running a successful restaurant is, day in and day out. It seems romantic but it's not fun and games in the social arena. Opening a restaurant is easy. Keeping it going is hard. You can never say "finished" it's non-stop and the "show" must go on everyday. I could go on . . .

That taste was "Sexton's Alamo Zestful Seasoning" no longer available unless you know how to make it, the secret.

Speaking of restaurants, last week I had breakfast in the heart of the Eagle Ford Shale play. Well, one of many meals in Karnes, DeWitt, and Gonzales counties. Here is one of the local benefits of the play. Huevos Rancheros Divorciados (Huevos Rancheros with both red and green salsas) hash-browns, re-fried beans, bacon, two flour tortillas and coffee w/ tip came to $13.00. The locals can't afford the lunch special, Chicken-fried Steak, two sides, roll, and ice tea.

People have rooms to rent in their homes, hasty made RV parks, hurry-up motels, man camps. Tough life!
Those are two lane highways and the constant din of highway noise from big trucks tearing up the roads is 24/7. Not forgetting the dust from unpaved ranch/senderos/contractor roads. Most of these oil wells aren't connected to pipelines, either to bring in the fracking water or to send out the oil. Tanker trucks are the current solution. Of course pipelines will be built and infrastructure completed, good bye truck drivers, heavy equipment operators and all unnecessary personnel with mythological salaries.

Interesting aside; I spoke to folks and had questions. It's a young man's game, no question about that. Most are out-of-state, desperate, and sending their checks home. Everyone has a laptop to Skype home, see the wife and kids. I should mention . . .it's said "alcohol, pets, girlfriends and children are strictly forbidden" in the sprawling man-camps. Consequently, rural houses rent very high but with 6 or 8 guys splitting the rent it's no problem. Beer sales by the case is outta' sight with tattooed ladies of . . .well, I'll pull the curtain of decency across that and say - they are not butterflies but moths - they come out at night, attracted to the lights and impromptu romance$.

In This Semi-Apocalyptic Confusion, They Live..‏

They are working huge hours and many said several months without a day off, it's the new normal. Wearing those special burn-resistant coveralls in this weather . . .well damn it, it's company policy along with that steel pot. Those that don't have families elsewhere to support seem to like big tricked out 250's and "burning coal."

There's an unconsidered social consequence to all this down the road (when the pipelines are built) I suspect, but what the hell, they need jobs, have families to feed, bills to pays, and they're making the cash. Wage-slaves in the Rat Race.

I am given to understand the outfits prefer men from out-of-state. It seems they are more committed and have that NETG factor (Nowhere Else To Go) that many local young men lack. Returning discharged Vets are sought, vetted by Iraq and Afghanistan, who can take the heat, grim and demanding conditions of resource extraction. It's a play alright, a game of catch-up with the newest global threat (Oil) to the Anthropocentric age in which we live. That sand truck says it all, "Puro Pinche Frac."

the Anthropocene noun - pronunciation of the Anthropocene noun by Cambridge Dictionaries Online

Here's a peek inside frac camps in South Texas. This outfit is Weatherford, out of Alice, TX.

Weatherford Frac - Only The Strong Survive - YouTube

Just popular problems - which releases in September:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYXECtjOos

Old 09-04-2014, 04:49 AM

22 posts, read 117,611 times
Default sad

It's sad, I remember going in as a kid with my parents. I remember how it seemd to go on forever, it seemed so huge to me, going up the steps and going iside, even then I thought what a great building, sad to read it's in such disrepair.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 4,790,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Recall a conversation with Stephen Boutwell (GM) that it was selling to a local Subaru dealership. According to Boutwell, Larry Sparks, one of the original owners, there were no specific plans to reopen. Considering the BDOB has been around since the later 60's - well, the owner's are getting a bit long in the teeth now. That was the last of four BDOB locations and no longer up to the old stellar standards. At one time, in the 80's, it was the best seafood in town. Still recall the Boudin Balls, Fisherman's Platter and Bloody Marys.
My condolences to the Sparks family. They had a good run at that place. Gone but not forgotten.....

Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,671,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Just found out the Black Diamond closed in March. I read there were plans to reopen it elsewhere, Anybody know anything about this?
Wow. I would ask my Mom occasionally if we could go there, but never did. I was a busboy at the Rodd Field location back in 1979.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,671,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Did Mr Sparks ever work at the Caller-Times? I knew Mr Sparks back in the 70s-80s, but don't remember anything about a connection to Black Diamond Oyster Bar. But, Boutwell also sounds like a name of someone that I sort of remember from the Caller-Times.

http://www.guardianfhcremation.com/f...01&fh_id=13907

Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Hey everyone, I had a rather odd question about C.C. Did Corpus ever have a large "Mob" presence, Cosa Nostra Mob???

Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Hey everyone, I had a rather odd question about C.C. Did Corpus ever have a large "Mob" presence, Cosa Nostra Mob???
A much too generalized question, imo.

Start your investigation with:

Detective W. T. Jackson, vice squad, Corpus Christi Police Department- 1950's-1960's. Some may recall he had a daughter, Mary Jackson. They lived in that old (in the early 60's) housing area behind what was then the Osage Drive Inn.

Under the Racketeer-Influence and Corrupt Organizations act, called RICO, in CC and North Padre Island search public records: Former Philippine President Ferdinand E. Marcos.

Interview: Lyn Huff, Corpus Christi Police Department.

Look into the history (early 60's) of the old "Red Carpet Club" and Thomas "Neal" Dancer

Look into the history of "Legs" strip club, at one time on the corner of S.P.I.D and Dodd St.

Maybe read, Corpus Christi Caller-Times, Friday, October 18, 1963

Don't forget the Corpus Christi chapter of the "Banditos".

That will get you started.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the info rust, but "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" I will think of some more questions later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi