Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,098 times

Advertisements

Bruce Shugart, I am down at Cape Carancahua, where we Motorhome a number of times each year and fish the bay's near Matagorda. We also fish Mud Island, and most of Estes Flat when in Rockport. I was just Googling for teammates who were at Texas A&I during the time I was there in 57-58 before I left due to a knee injury. If you get this, email me at [email]lecunningham@msn.com[/email]. You and Tommy Davidek were my roommates at the time. After transferring to Texas State. Then Southwest Texas State, I graduated in 1959. Have wondered how my old team mates are doing these days.

Larry Cunningham. 16 May 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big4x4ride View Post
Wasn't there a Whataburger in Sunrise Mall prior to the food port being built? Also, wasn't there a people's restaurant on Spid around where the hooters is now?
No, there was NEVER a whataburger in Sunrise Mall. There was already one fairly closeby at Airline & SPID (built in 1974 or so). In fact, it's still there. I don't recall that I had seen a non-stand alone Whataburger until the 2000s. Now, you find them in airports, Whataburger Field and some malls.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,573 times
I remember the Lahala House too. It was built after the high bridge replaced the old bascule bridge. I too, went there and had a wonderful experience dining there. I also went to Conway Conservatory- but only during the first grade. I think my teacher's name was Mrs. Gillis. During the last part of first grade, we went up to Los Alamos New Mexico and lived there for a year and then came back to Corpus - and we went to Savage School- which was way out on Shell Rd. (Up River Road). My family moved away from Corpus for a few years- but we came back and I graduated from Roy Miller High School. My husband was transferred to Beaumont, TX in 1969, and we have been living here ever since. But I have many wonderful memories of Corpus- but it is not the same town it was in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I remember when you could go to Padre Island and you had to pay a toll to go aross the bridge- then after you drove what seemed like a long way of just sand and nothing, you would reach the beach and have miles of it all to yourself. We used to go down to Padre Island after work on Friday and stay till Sunday afternoon. It was so much fun. We would build a campfire in the sand dunes near the beach and cook food - we usually got very little sleep, as we would get up early in the morning and literally walk for miles down the beach beachcombing. Padre Island is not like that at all anymore.
My grandfather, Harry Lochabay who moved to Corpus in the 1920s owned the original Ship Ahoy and traded it with the owner of the Beach Grill on North Beach. He was a very well-known restauranter in Corpus, but died at the age of 58 in 1956. My maiden name did not with with a G- it started with a B.
Oh, yes, I remember many parties at the old Country Club on Up River Road. It was a first class place. I think I heard that it has been torn down. Another place we used to go to when I was younerg was Flipos at Six Points. We would go there after our dates and have a midnight breakfast. We also used to go to a western club on Staples near Six Points (I can't recall the name of it at the moment-) They usually had live music and a nice dance floor. But back to North Beach- My grandmother owned 8 cottages within a stone's throw from the beach. We lived in the one closest to the beach when I was very little, and I can still remember the murmuring sound of the surf as I fell asleep at night. (of course people didn't have AC back then and people kept their windows open to let the ).
I am so glad that I was a part of tht era.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,727 times
When I stumbled onto this site at 4:30 this morning, my original intention was to find the name of the old downtown movie theater located between the Centre Theater and the Ritz on Chaparral. It burned in the late ‘50’s or so. At 2 pm, I realized I’d become so engrossed reading the posts and being reminded of many forgotten names and places I had skipped right past breakfast and lunch.

The time was well spent as each post brought out recollections of Corpus Christi places and events buried deep in a dusty fold of my brain. However, once Rust Never Sleeps began posting, his often lengthy and informative posts kept me glued to the computer, with help from wehotex, Glenda Buckley, GWhopper, and Pharmadoc.

Rust, it appears that you may be a couple of years younger than me. I’m a 1940 native born Corpus Christian, and lived in Corpus until 2004 when I moved to the Hill Country. At least, you and I seem to have similarly chronological references to locations, people and events. But your memory must be bigger than a terabyte. In addition, your obvious mastery of the internet’s capacity to provide almost instant answers to anything we pose in the right frame of reference along with your years of personal research about local history leaves me in awe.

It seems you’ve led an interesting life, and while doing so, remembered names, dates and places. Unfortunately for me, I’ve always been bad at remembering details until a current event sparks a recollection, then the memory kicks in.

I feel I can add some interesting items for discussion as time and the posts go on. Until then, I’d like to have some help with the name of the downtown theater that burned.

I look forward to watching and, hopefully, contributing to this site regularly.

Cubdriver

Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
When I stumbled onto this site at 4:30 this morning, my original intention was to find the name of the old downtown movie theater located between the Centre Theater and the Ritz on Chaparral. It burned in the late ‘50’s or so. At 2 pm, I realized I’d become so engrossed reading the posts and being reminded of many forgotten names and places I had skipped right past breakfast and lunch.

The time was well spent as each post brought out recollections of Corpus Christi places and events buried deep in a dusty fold of my brain. However, once Rust Never Sleeps began posting, his often lengthy and informative posts kept me glued to the computer, with help from wehotex, Glenda Buckley, GWhopper, and Pharmadoc.

Rust, it appears that you may be a couple of years younger than me. I’m a 1940 native born Corpus Christian, and lived in Corpus until 2004 when I moved to the Hill Country. At least, you and I seem to have similarly chronological references to locations, people and events. But your memory must be bigger than a terabyte. In addition, your obvious mastery of the internet’s capacity to provide almost instant answers to anything we pose in the right frame of reference along with your years of personal research about local history leaves me in awe.

It seems you’ve led an interesting life, and while doing so, remembered names, dates and places. Unfortunately for me, I’ve always been bad at remembering details until a current event sparks a recollection, then the memory kicks in.

I feel I can add some interesting items for discussion as time and the posts go on. Until then, I’d like to have some help with the name of the downtown theater that burned.

Cubdriver
If you're on Facebook, you should check out "We Grew Up in Corpus Christi" if you haven't already. There's lots of info about old CC along with pictures and memories.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:32 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,256 times
Quote:

Cubdriver
Look in here: [scribd]20265324[/scribd]

I replied to Glenda but power outages here lost it. I'm very busy, have been the past week due to the weather. At any rate, Hope Floats here.

I too owned property in Kerr County, one acreage along the Guadalupe River. Sold both places in early 2006. So, what area of CC did you call home turf?

Btw, this thread sucked me in also a little over a year ago. Have a houseful of folks need to start cooking.

Rust

Old 05-26-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Look in here: [scribd]20265324[/scribd]
See if this link works for you. Once there scan down to CC:

[scribd]20265324[/scribd]

I see that link is not transfering. Try this; do a Google search for > http://www.scribd.com/doc/20265324/Texas-Gulfland-theatres#scribd<

Or, >Texas Gulfland Theatres<

You will be looking for this:

Texas Gulfland theatres - Scribd
[scribd]20265324[/scribd]
Sep 27, 2009 - Texas Gulfland theatres - Free download as PDF File (.pdf), Text file (.txt) or read online for free. The Gulfland's most complete guide to movie ...
You visited this page on 5/26/15.

There will be two click-baits, wade through, click them close, scroll down to CC.

Rust

Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda Buckley View Post
My grandfather, Harry Lochabay who moved to Corpus in the 1920s owned the original Ship Ahoy and traded it with the owner of the Beach Grill on North Beach. .
Glenda, was the "Ship Ahoy" named, painted and signaged by your grandfather or Mr. Hill, who he traded it with? That signage "The Best Shrimp In The World" was the beginning of my critical education.

Btw, Conway Conservatory, last I looked, had devolved into a day care center. It still looked the same, not bad for a 100 year old home. Those old stairs to the 2nd. floor creaked badly when I was a kid, can't imagine what they sound like now. My teacher was Dr. Beaver, the old cellist with a wooden leg, excellent teacher.

Rust

Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,727 times
Thanks Rust. With your guidance, I found the name. It was the Palace theater. Your search skills amaze me. I truly appreciate your help.

As you asked regarding my turf, I was one of the Southside gang. Wynn Seale, Cunningham and Baker Junior Highs and then Ray, graduating in '58.

Cubdriver

Old 05-28-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rust. With your guidance, I found the name. It was the Palace theater. Your search skills amaze me. I truly appreciate your help.

As you asked regarding my turf, I was one of the Southside gang. Wynn Seale, Cunningham and Baker Junior Highs and then Ray, graduating in '58.

Cubdriver
This may interest you:

Palace Theatre :: General Photograph Collection

Corpus Christi Public Libraries Digital Archives

If you use Facebook, or a few other social media sites, you may not have the same "Search Access" I have due to "filter bubbles." I would hope you are using a Chrome browser. If so, begin a new search in the incognito mode. Click "File" –>New Incognito Window. In doing this you don't reveal who you are to the various search engines and they can’t filter your results.

This will explain "filter bubbles":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=281&v=EsjQLB_jTBA

If you have a few particularly difficult or unsuccessful search attempts let me know. I can send you screen shots of my “curating efforts” for go-bys.

In 1980, well you've read this thread, you'll recall I did some historical research for a movie filmed on North Beach that involved old photographs and Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps . . .so yes, I was doing research, mostly music, long before the internet.

If I posted, a cup of transmission fluid was spilled at the T-Head this morning at 6:34!!!!! You better believe I can back it up

Which begs the question, several weeks back when 500 gallons of jet fuel was spilled near Tamucc - nary a word was mentioned . . .I am very attentive to details like that.

Anyone can get these results as quickly as I do.

SkyTruth Alerts: Daily reports of enviromental incidents in your back yard

SkyTruth Custom Alert Feed
The following SkyTruth Alerts incidents have been reported in your selected geographical area since the last update was sent.
NRC Report: Propane near Corpus Christi, TX
Incident Type: PIPELINE - NRC Report ID: 1116185 - Medium Affected: AIR - Suspected Responsible Party: ENTERPRISE PRODUCT PIPELINE

Rust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi