U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 PM

15 posts, read 108,086 times

Advertisements

What happened to this thread? I was enjoying it having grown up in Corpus from 1936 to 1959 when I moved to San Antonio. I still remember buying a Whataburger when they opened on Ayres across from the Junior High School. There was also a Picks drive-inn just south of there. SPID was Lexington Blvd. back then and we used to go to the Lexington Drive In theater.
ken
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 AM

135 posts, read 449,274 times
i remember the thunderbird drive inn and the drive inn that was located on port & tarlton. i saw Alien there.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,038,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf5wd View Post
What happened to this thread? I was enjoying it having grown up in Corpus from 1936 to 1959 when I moved to San Antonio. I still remember buying a Whataburger when they opened on Ayres across from the Junior High School. There was also a Picks drive-inn just south of there. SPID was Lexington Blvd. back then and we used to go to the Lexington Drive In theater.
ken
Please do share! I only lived in corpus from 1963 (birth year) to 1986, although I go back often to visit my parents. If there was a whataburger across from Wynn Seale, it was long gone by the time that I was driving. I do remember the Picks Drive-in just across from the Butter Krust bakery. where was the lexington drive-in? I only remember the "Thunderbird", which was still open in the early 70s. Drive-ins were a lot of fun. I wish that they were still around.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 PM

15 posts, read 108,086 times
The Lexington Boulevard drive-in theater was on the right about 1/2 mile off Chapman Ranch RD. going toward Padre Is. When I first started going there in 1946 in my Model "A" ford it had speakers under the screen. Later, about 1950 they installed speakers on posts near each pair of cars. Before that when it rained you couldn't hear the movie because you had to roll up the windows (that never bothered me since my "A" didn't have any windows. There are still a few drive-in movies over the country but not many. I too miss them.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM

19 posts, read 149,113 times
Default Memories of days goneby

I am glad to have found this forum and to have read the recollections on Corpus Christi. My sister and I grew up in Corpus from 1954-74 and have only fond memories now of the way the city once was compared to what it has sadly become imho.

Some restaurants/food choices that I still recall fondly:
Underwood's barbecue when you could get all you could eat for a set price
Roy's barbecue by King High School-best .25 chopped beef sandwiches I have ever tasted. Also had a location out by the airport.
Floyd's restaurant-the chicken fried steak and cream gravy were usually what followed Sunday evening church with our youth group.
The Manhattan steakhouse on Hwy.9-run by a Greek gentleman named George. We celebrated Thanksgiving out there several times and the food was amazing.
Panjos pizza on Airline-the singalong piano and pizza made for some great Friday evenings. Made the mistake of ordering anchovies once because I never had tried them-and haven't since.
Whataburger-one of the first ones ever built was two blocks from our home on Moravian drive. The Ayres theatre used to have double feature horror movies on Saturdays for .50, and in between features, a local KEYS dj would referee a Whataburger eating contest with the winner gettiing free tickets to the show next week. Several times I won, but even when I didn't, I still got fed.
Price's Chef at Six Points-great lunches
Neisner's food counter at Parkdale Plaza-best limeades and a good burger
Snapka's-after little league games at Price Field, no place else. There is a painting of the old location at the Health Camp Restaurant on the circle in Waco.
Picks-all three locations were off limits by our parents but we managed to somehow find our way there without getting busted.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Default Theatres/Drive In Movies

The Viking Twin was the first drive in movie we went to. Saw the Parent Trap with Haley Mills and A Dog of Flanders
The Osage-with a big Indian chief painted on the front.
The Twin Palms-adult entertainment, as much as it was back then.
The Gulf, Surf, Bucaneer, and Thunderbird.

One big event was when the first twin screen indoor theatre opened at PS mall-the Deux Cine. The first screenings were Gone With The Wind and The Graduate. King High School had a day at the movies in which we all went to see Gone With The Wind, though most of us wanted to see the alternate show.

The Ritz and Centre theatres downtown were classic one screen movie castles. The balconies at both made for good times and sometimes we even watched the movie.

The Ayres theatre in the old Ayres shopping center had the best dill pickles in the big jar at the concession stand.

There was a theatre at Six Points called the Modern I believe.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Memories I cherish

When Parkdale Plaza opened, there were 9 trampolines in the center of the mall outdoors. I remember mom paying .50 for my sister and I to jump on these while she shopped. No matter how long she shopped, we were never ready to go home when it was time. The Putt-Putt golf course was also a big draw when mom shopped-3 rounds for a dollar and if you aced the 18th hole, you got a free game.

Dances at the Admiralty Club/Beach Club on Ocean drive on Saturday night. Adolescent education at it's finest meeting member of the opposite sex from different schools and dancing to the Sherwoods, Zakary Thaks, 13th Floor Elevators and more that escape my memory. The psychedelic lights and projectors were stimulating as was the pier where many a moonlit night was spent with others couples exploring boundaries. 'Nuff said.

The Gulf skating rink. When we were in elementary school at Central Park, it was a great weekend place to go. Couples skate, speed racing, ladies choice, and you had really arrived when you had your own skates complete with bag to carry them in-NO MORE RENTALS!!

Bucaneer bowl-Ginger worked the front desk and was always glad to see you. 48 lanes of pure heaven, pinball for a quarter that you almost could not tilt no matter how much you shook the machine, and the smoky pool room upstairs with the 4X8 tables. Not a bad choice for burger and fries as well.

Ashley's High Speed Boogie Music and Surf Shop-just south of the bowling alley on Alameda. You could always count on the newest releases being there and available to listen to before purchase-long before this became an accepted practice. Great surf t-shirts and baggies.

Little league baseball-OSO and Southside and Oil Belt. The games were fun, but when not playing, chasing foul balls which could be turned in at the concession stand for a free snow cone was as well.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,038,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercityhorn View Post
The Viking Twin was the first drive in movie we went to. Saw the Parent Trap with Haley Mills and A Dog of Flanders
The Osage-with a big Indian chief painted on the front.
The Twin Palms-adult entertainment, as much as it was back then.
The Gulf, Surf, Bucaneer, and Thunderbird.

One big event was when the first twin screen indoor theatre opened at PS mall-the Deux Cine. The first screenings were Gone With The Wind and The Graduate. King High School had a day at the movies in which we all went to see Gone With The Wind, though most of us wanted to see the alternate show.

The Ritz and Centre theatres downtown were classic one screen movie castles. The balconies at both made for good times and sometimes we even watched the movie.

The Ayres theatre in the old Ayres shopping center had the best dill pickles in the big jar at the concession stand.

There was a theatre at Six Points called the Modern I believe.
Do you remember which year that the Deux Cine opened?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Do you remember which year that the Deux Cine opened?
1968 when I was a sophomore at King.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Default Nightclubs

The Godfather in Parkdale Plaza-the raised and lighted dance floor, the sound system, and the infamous Godfather drink-an offer you can't refuse. This concoction of flaming rum could turn that club upside down

The Carousel Club and the Stork Club-places where local and regional bands got to show their talent. Many good bands with cult like local followings played both of these.

The Electric Eel which was behind King High School. Interesting mix of people and substances which made them probably more interesting than they were.

The Embers Club-Tony Joe White was a regular performer at this watering hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi