Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 15,056 times

Advertisements

This thread has been great fun to read! Some of the stuff here I remember and some not so much. Born in CC in '63 and was there thru '76. Spent lots of time in summer at Cole Park on the pier or on the jetties with a trusty ole Zebco 202. Long lazy summer days at North Beach or just sitting on the sea wall watching all the small sailboats with different color sails.

Shakeys: loved the banjo guy & player piano. Pizza night there was always a treat for us kids.

Whataburger: who didnt love the old Whatburgers? I keep thinking I remember my dad bringing home a big glass jug of root beer with the burgers; did they sell that at the old locations?

Sheps: If Im remembering correctly, this is where I fell in love with pecan pie. LOL This is all 40+ years ago but keep thinking they had the best pecan pie ever.

Fuedos: Yep, we went there often.

Coliseum: Saw my first concert there: Three Dog Night. Didnt they have lots of wrestling also? I remember watching them on black & white TV; Jose Lothario and Wahoo McDaniel !

Ayers Theatre: Watched tons of movies there. And it was cheap, too. I keep thinking a dollar would get you in for a saturday matinée, small coke and popcorn. I can remember being fascinated by the art deco paint on the ceiling, am I remembering correctly? I even remember one saturday they hosted an all day 'Go Ape' deal where they showed all the Planet of the Ape flics in one day. Of course all us kids went to that one! Oh, and they had the best big pickles ever.

The Ben Franklin Dime store was alway fun for us kids !

Bel Aire Drugs: Went to the grille & soda fountain in the back all the time. We lived just a few blocks away and me and a good friend at at the time would scrounge some change together and go back there, sit on the barstools and share an order of french fries together. They were awesome and the ladies behind the counter remembered us and cooked us "The Usual". LOL One thing Im unclear about, however, is many times during the summer, there was a man back there with a few friends having coffee and he told us he was Lee Trevino the golf pro. Of course we believed him then, but does anyone know if Lee Trevino was in Corpus in the early 70s? Also, have one bad memory just around the bend from the drug store, my brand new Schwinn Stingray bike got stolen while I was in Bealls grocery store. (not sure of the spelling on that place - too many years ago)

Troop 216: Loved scouting, summers at Camp Karankawa (@ Mathis) I was Six Points Kiwanis Scout-of-the-Month once. Still have the trophy. LOL

I can remember Padre Staples Mall being built (at least I think I remember that), going to Woolco & Gibsons, (actually mom made us wait in the car while she went in there) and all the other old places.

Sam Neely! "You can have her, I dont want her" !

Keep thinking there was a Burger Chef on Staples very close to a Der Weinerschnitzel. LOVED them both !

Viking Twin: saw many movies there also with the family and remember the marquis after Celia.

Celia: Who could forget that mess? Our house fared very well surprisingly enough, but lots of other people we knew had it rough. I can remember going out into the front yard during the 'eye' and how calm it was. It tore up Sam Houston Elementary pretty bad. For some reason I keep thinking the horse statue thing on top of 'Howdys' was still standing.

Knolle milk: Maybe some persons older than me can clear out the cobwebs, but I could swear we had Knolle milk delivered in glass bottles to the house.

I could go on, but thats enough rambling out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB1963 View Post
This thread has been great fun to read! Some of the stuff here I remember and some not so much. Born in CC in '63 and was there thru '76. Spent lots of time in summer at Cole Park on the pier or on the jetties with a trusty ole Zebco 202. Long lazy summer days at North Beach or just sitting on the sea wall watching all the small sailboats with different color sails.

Shakeys: loved the banjo guy & player piano. Pizza night there was always a treat for us kids.

Whataburger: who didnt love the old Whatburgers? I keep thinking I remember my dad bringing home a big glass jug of root beer with the burgers; did they sell that at the old locations?

Sheps: If Im remembering correctly, this is where I fell in love with pecan pie. LOL This is all 40+ years ago but keep thinking they had the best pecan pie ever.

Fuedos: Yep, we went there often.

Coliseum: Saw my first concert there: Three Dog Night. Didnt they have lots of wrestling also? I remember watching them on black & white TV; Jose Lothario and Wahoo McDaniel !

Ayers Theatre: Watched tons of movies there. And it was cheap, too. I keep thinking a dollar would get you in for a saturday matinée, small coke and popcorn. I can remember being fascinated by the art deco paint on the ceiling, am I remembering correctly? I even remember one saturday they hosted an all day 'Go Ape' deal where they showed all the Planet of the Ape flics in one day. Of course all us kids went to that one! Oh, and they had the best big pickles ever.

The Ben Franklin Dime store was alway fun for us kids !

Bel Aire Drugs: Went to the grille & soda fountain in the back all the time. We lived just a few blocks away and me and a good friend at at the time would scrounge some change together and go back there, sit on the barstools and share an order of french fries together. They were awesome and the ladies behind the counter remembered us and cooked us "The Usual". LOL One thing Im unclear about, however, is many times during the summer, there was a man back there with a few friends having coffee and he told us he was Lee Trevino the golf pro. Of course we believed him then, but does anyone know if Lee Trevino was in Corpus in the early 70s? Also, have one bad memory just around the bend from the drug store, my brand new Schwinn Stingray bike got stolen while I was in Bealls grocery store. (not sure of the spelling on that place - too many years ago)

Troop 216: Loved scouting, summers at Camp Karankawa (@ Mathis) I was Six Points Kiwanis Scout-of-the-Month once. Still have the trophy. LOL

I can remember Padre Staples Mall being built (at least I think I remember that), going to Woolco & Gibsons, (actually mom made us wait in the car while she went in there) and all the other old places.

Sam Neely! "You can have her, I dont want her" !

Keep thinking there was a Burger Chef on Staples very close to a Der Weinerschnitzel. LOVED them both !

Viking Twin: saw many movies there also with the family and remember the marquis after Celia.

Celia: Who could forget that mess? Our house fared very well surprisingly enough, but lots of other people we knew had it rough. I can remember going out into the front yard during the 'eye' and how calm it was. It tore up Sam Houston Elementary pretty bad. For some reason I keep thinking the horse statue thing on top of 'Howdys' was still standing.

Knolle milk: Maybe some persons older than me can clear out the cobwebs, but I could swear we had Knolle milk delivered in glass bottles to the house.

I could go on, but thats enough rambling out of me.
You're about the same age is me ( I was also born in 63). You have a lot of memories espec considering that you left the city @ 13 yrs old. So many of the places that you mentioned are gone unfortunately. the last visits that I remember to Woolco were in 1981-82 or so. I used to buy 45 records there all the time. It had huge destruction from Celia. The burger chef that you're taking about was on Staples a few blocks over from Louisiana Pkwy. I think that it also disappeared in the early 80s. I don't remember a wienerschitzel though. Maybe you're talking about the one on Morgan & Ayers? I think that it's still there. I've also wanted to go check out the Ayers theater and look at the walls. I would just stare at those walls if I was watching a boring movie and try to figure out what they were. Admission must have been what, 75 cents, $1 back in those days? I too remember the "Go Ape" movie marathon.
Lee Trevino living in corpus? I don't think so. My Dad was an avid golfer back in those days and he for sure would have mentioned it. You were snowed man.
My family & I used to go to Panjo's on Friday nights and sing along with the piano man. We used to request, " Once upon a time there was a pizza parlor.....Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"- a popular song at the time.
The Shepster is gone. there is a Wendy's now at the SPID & mcardle location. There is a store off of Violet Rd exit off 37 called the Chicken Shack which follows the recipe of Shep's (Jack Bell was the owner of the original) in case that you get the craving.

did you ever go to Piccadilly cafeteria? They had the best patties with gravy. I was really sad when it left. Even better than those were the patties with brown gravy at Bunk's, which was located across the street from the old Sears store on Leopard and 2 doors down from Chat n Chew, another well known restaurant.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM

381 posts, read 1,233,694 times
Frost Bro's.....ahhh

Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 PM

56 posts, read 227,595 times
Weren't Tiddies also made in CC, back in the day you could pick those up at most all surf shops and some Maverick Markets?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Weren't Tiddies also made in CC, back in the day you could pick those up at most all surf shops and some Maverick Markets?
Really?!!! I had no idea. I need to ask a friend of mine who worked at Benjamins. Googled it. They originated in Pasadena, Tex. according to their website.

Last edited by wehotex; 03-20-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 22,287 times
I am still researching this igloo-shaped bar...i have found some stuff at the CC public library but I am not sure...does anyone know if a place called "Alcove Lounge" on Timon street existed during the early 1990's. Poolhall and beer-joint.
Thanks,
Jerry

Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,940 times
Default Beach theatre

The beach theatre was in front of the skating rink and across the street from joe fuedo's grocery store. I worked there also stocking shelves and making pan sausage.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB1963 View Post
Shakey's and Panjos opened about the same time - oldest pizza joint in Corpus is Angelo's on Staples. I used to ride my bike up there in the 1950's to pick up a pizza. I think that building was the first attempt by Mr Dobbs to start Whataburger - he had better luck in another location. I don't remember jugs of root beer at the Whataburgers (which were all walk up), my dad always brought home milkshakes - we had them every Saturday. We did get jugs of root beer from the A&W on the way to the drive in movies on Friday or Sat.

Quote:
Ayers Theatre: Watched tons of movies there. And it was cheap, too. I keep thinking a dollar would get you in for a saturday matinée, small coke and popcorn.
Could have even been cheaper - in the 50's there weren't that many that had TV's, we all went to the matinee at the Ayers to watch the movie and cartoons. 25 cents for the ticket, 10 cents for drink and popcorn, a nickel for candy or a dill pickle - a great time for 50 cents a kid. I worked for Corpus Christi Theaters in the 60's when I was in high school - children's tickets then for a regular show was 35 cents.

Quote:
I can remember Padre Staples Mall being built (at least I think I remember that), going to Woolco & Gibsons
I remember Parkdale Plaza being built and when they used to turn all of Downtown into a Christmas Holiday mall by closing Chaparral. I worked at Gibsons also. The ceiling at Woolco collasped during Celia (1980) and that was the end of Woolco - they rebuilt it some years later but it was not Woolco.

Quote:
Burger Chef was the first National Franchise to open in Corpus - 5 burgers for $1. Taco Bell opened on Alameda in 1970 - every item on the menu was 25 cents - taco/drink/beans/rice/chalupa/bellburger.

Quote:
You are correct - it was in glass bottles as was the cream. We had two dairy deliveries in Corpus - Borden & Knolle. The milkman would just come in the back door, open the ice box (nobody called them refrigerators) and see what you needed. Our guy always stopped for a cup of coffee and breakfast sometimes.

I could write pages about Celia - one of the things I remember the most was the constant hunt for ice in the week after Celia - that and all the buildings that suffered damage. I got married a couple of weeks after Celia - the place we were going to have our rehearsal dinner was swept away and never re-built, the church was flooded and barely re-carpeted in time, my dress was finished the day before the wedding, the place for the reception had a collapsed roof. All very memorable.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Shakey's and Panjos opened about the same time - oldest pizza joint in Corpus is Angelo's on Staples. I used to ride my bike up there in the 1950's to pick up a pizza. I think that building was the first attempt by Mr Dobbs to start Whataburger - he had better luck in another location. I don't remember jugs of root beer at the Whataburgers (which were all walk up), my dad always brought home milkshakes - we had them every Saturday. We did get jugs of root beer from the A&W on the way to the drive in movies on Friday or Sat.

Could have even been cheaper - in the 50's there weren't that many that had TV's, we all went to the matinee at the Ayers to watch the movie and cartoons. 25 cents for the ticket, 10 cents for drink and popcorn, a nickel for candy or a dill pickle - a great time for 50 cents a kid. I worked for Corpus Christi Theaters in the 60's when I was in high school - children's tickets then for a regular show was 35 cents.

I remember Parkdale Plaza being built and when they used to turn all of Downtown into a Christmas Holiday mall by closing Chaparral. I worked at Gibsons also. The ceiling at Woolco collasped during Celia (1980) and that was the end of Woolco - they rebuilt it some years later but it was not Woolco.

Burger Chef was the first National Franchise to open in Corpus - 5 burgers for $1. Taco Bell opened on Alameda in 1970 - every item on the menu was 25 cents - taco/drink/beans/rice/chalupa/bellburger.

You are correct - it was in glass bottles as was the cream. We had two dairy deliveries in Corpus - Borden & Knolle. The milkman would just come in the back door, open the ice box (nobody called them refrigerators) and see what you needed. Our guy always stopped for a cup of coffee and breakfast sometimes.

I could write pages about Celia - one of the things I remember the most was the constant hunt for ice in the week after Celia - that and all the buildings that suffered damage. I got married a couple of weeks after Celia - the place we were going to have our rehearsal dinner was swept away and never re-built, the church was flooded and barely re-carpeted in time, my dress was finished the day before the wedding, the place for the reception had a collapsed roof. All very memorable.

How funny that you remember the ice hunt after Celia (Aug 3, 1970) that I did as a little 6 year old. I remember that ice was a hot commodity. A "hibachi" was also something in use in a lot of households. Burger Chef on alameda gave out free hamburger patties. They were there in our time of need. Are you sure that Woolco left after Celia? I remember shopping at a store in that loc in the early '80s where I used to buy 45s. What was it?

Parkdale Plaza used to have these model dinosaurs every so often. I remember hearing the song "Lady Madonna"- Beatles on the radio when I looked in amazement at those dinosaurs, which seemed to me like they would come to life.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,991 times
Does anybody remember the restaurant "Bunks" which would have been close to where Elmo's now is?
They use to serve the BEST hamburger steak ever. This would have been in the '60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi