Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
In 1963 the referenced location, South Alameda St. & Everhart Rd., across Everhart from Mt. Carmel, was the site of Jitney-Jungle grocery store #2.

Here's a photograph: The Corpus Christi Caller-Times from Corpus Christi, Texas · Page 31
I remember some convenience stores called "Jitney Jr". Were those related to this "Jitney Jungle" store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I remember some convenience stores called "Jitney Jr". Were those related to this "Jitney Jungle" store?
I don't know about that. As usual, after posting, I recalled Harper Lee mentions the local (fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama) Jitney Jungle store several times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Another interesting bit about CC most don't know. When Edna Ferbers' novel "Giant" came out in the early 50s it caused an uproar in Texas, particularly among Lamar Park residents. CC is mentioned by name and fictionalized as "Ventecito" (Wind City). In 1956 George Stevens movie "Giant" was released. Although three hours long it lacks the depth of the book. The then 23 year old Elizabeth Taylor plays "Leslie" the Virginia raised wife of "Bick Benedict" (Rock Hudson) - we see the harsh realities of South Texas life and social consequences through her critical eyes. You need to know who "Glenn McCarthy, Houston oil tycoon" was when reading "Giant." It was also the last movie with James Dean.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 AM

17 posts, read 49,567 times
Why an uproar with Lamar Park residents in particular?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:34 AM

Why were the residents of Lamar Park in particular upset?

Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I just caught the tailend of a Texas Bucket List show for a hamburger joint in Corpus called "Snapkiss."(?)

The food looked SO good--but it doesn't appear on any lists. Did I get the name wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yep. Got it wrong--per the Facebook page, it's Snapka's.......
The food at Snapka's is good, but nothing to get too excited about. Pretty typical greasy burgers, fries, tacos, etc. But it's fun to go there because they still have carhops who come out to take your order and bring the food to your car.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourj View Post
Why were the residents of Lamar Park in particular upset?
Bear in mind, this was in the 1950's when most of the "Capital" lived in Lamar Park, Louisiana Parkway, Santa Fe and Ocean Dr. Everything else (broadly speaking) - was "Labor" - Cheap labor.

"Giant" describes the housing, health conditions, schools, poverty, and casual denigration of small town and rural Mexicans. In writing the novel, Ms. Ferber traveled with Dr. Hector Garcia, the civil rights activist, fictionalized as "Dr. Guerra" in the book. Ms. Ferber had livid detractors in Lamar Park - and then came the movie! There is a lot of truth in Giant.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 PM

In the 50's there was a drive inn, ( beer joint) over by Memorial Hospital on Morgan that my parents used to frequent. They always referred to it as " Gene Dowdy's" because he obviously owned it. I guess that it was torn down later to build medical offices. I was about 4 at the time when they would take me there but I remember specifically that it was one of those ice house type places with the garage doors down both sides that could be opened in hot weather. Does anyone know of that place and what was the real name of it?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Bear in mind, this was in the 1950's when most of the "Capital" lived in Lamar Park, Louisiana Parkway, Santa Fe and Ocean Dr. Everything else (broadly speaking) - was "Labor" - Cheap labor.

"Giant" describes the housing, health conditions, schools, poverty, and casual denigration of small town and rural Mexicans. In writing the novel, Ms. Ferber traveled with Dr. Hector Garcia, the civil rights activist, fictionalized as "Dr. Guerra" in the book. Ms. Ferber had livid detractors in Lamar Park - and then came the movie! There is a lot of truth in Giant.
When I first saw the movie back in the 80s, it was shocking to me. My grandparents/parents really didn't talk too much about the discrimination that went on here. Every now and then, my grandmother would mention something like her experience at CC High School back in the 1930s, when she was like one of 6 Mexican-Americans in the whole class. She graduated in 1935. I kind of got the feeling that maybe CC wasn't "as prejudiced" as some of the smaller towns, My grandmother said once that Ingleside was really bad. I wondered if the scene at the end where the mexicanos were denied service could have happened in CC or did it mainly happen in smaller towns? When I look at High School annuals from the 1950-60s, it looks like total apartheid. Mexican and Anglo looked like total separate worlds where there was no intermingling judging by the pictures. Was it that bad? Were restaurants segregated in CC or the smaller surrounding towns?
Even in the 80s, I could still see lots of prejudice among some. I just can't imagine that it would have been 10 times worse.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I first saw the movie back in the 80s, it was shocking to me. My grandparents/parents really didn't talk too much about the discrimination that went on here. Every now and then, my grandmother would mention something like her experience at CC High School back in the 1930s, when she was like one of 6 Mexican-Americans in the whole class. She graduated in 1935. I kind of got the feeling that maybe CC wasn't "as prejudiced" as some of the smaller towns, My grandmother said once that Ingleside was really bad. I wondered if the scene at the end where the mexicanos were denied service could have happened in CC or did it mainly happen in smaller towns? When I look at High School annuals from the 1950-60s, it looks like total apartheid. Mexican and Anglo looked like total separate worlds where there was no intermingling judging by the pictures. Was it that bad? Were restaurants segregated in CC or the smaller surrounding towns?
Even in the 80s, I could still see lots of prejudice among some. I just can't imagine that it would have been 10 times worse.
Read the book! It has always been the elephant in the room. I surmise you were born about 62-63 so you missed the For Real Times and grew up in the Let's Pretend Era. Google "La Huelga." for events when you were two years old.

Your grandmother was right. Ingleside (the Cove) is located on the southeast end of San Patricio County.
Google what happened in 1863 to Josefa "Chipita" Rodriguez . . .by a judge and mayor of Corpus Christi.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourj View Post
In the 50's there was a drive inn, ( beer joint) over by Memorial Hospital on Morgan that my parents used to frequent. They always referred to it as " Gene Dowdy's" because he obviously owned it. I guess that it was torn down later to build medical offices. I was about 4 at the time when they would take me there but I remember specifically that it was one of those ice house type places with the garage doors down both sides that could be opened in hot weather. Does anyone know of that place and what was the real name of it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7780...pKl_V3vjLA!2e0

Located 10 years at 2603 Morgan. Dowdy's Sandwiches 2603 Morgan Corpus Christi TX before July, 1956.

Renovated in July,1956, enlarged and air conditioned, same address, becomes: Dowdy's Steak House.

The Corpus Christi Caller-Times from Corpus Christi, Texas · Page 17

The Corpus Christi Caller-Times from Corpus Christi, Texas · Page 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi