Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 AM

3 posts, read 10,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moy2112 View Post
Can anyone here name all the drive inns that were around in the 70's.
So far I have:
The Viking
Buccaneer
The Thunderbird
Twin Palms(yhea I know your smiling)
There was one on Port Ave where Home Depot is now,whats the name?
Don't forget the Lexington, Autonation Ford Mazda now sits on that site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM

47 posts, read 169,186 times
Remember the drive Inns. Does anybody remember any Asian Restaurants in CC. I know of the Dragon Grill but what else?

P.s Ships Ahoy Building is torn down.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Remember the drive Inns. Does anybody remember any Asian Restaurants in CC. I know of the Dragon Grill but what else?

P.s Ships Ahoy Building is torn down.
Mao Tai was recently closed. It opened in the early 80s and lasted a long time. The last time we ate there, I remember commenting to my mom that it didn't taste as good.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Mao Tai was recently closed. It opened in the early 80s and lasted a long time. The last time we ate there, I remember commenting to my mom that it didn't taste as good.
Indeed! I never went there, thankfully. I keep beating myself up over a place I think was called Chung Mei?
Where was it. I vegly remember it! Is it still in buisiness, or what occupies the space that it once stood?

If my memory is right, there used to be a Motel in flour bluff where the side enterance off of S.P.I.D is for H.E.B? What was it called?! I remember watching the legend of Billie Jean, and seeing the old sonic in flour bluff, that is just dust now. But what was the name of that restaurant that Taquaria Jalisco occupies. I also remember eating there! As well as the Burger Chef in Flour Bluff, that is now occupied by Hunan Express.
Santa Rosa Mexican Restaurant occupies the old Burger chef at the corner of South staples and Ohio ave.
But it looked like it used to also be an Asian restaurant too.
Any info.

P.S Thank you very much Wehotex, you are very knowledgable! Keep it up!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM

P.SS Angelo's Pizza was not the first attempt at a Whataburger. Mr Dobson built his first shack in front of the Frito Lay factory off of Ayres. Which is now right in front of Del Mar college. Close to the Music Building. Thanks

Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Indeed! I never went there, thankfully. I keep beating myself up over a place I think was called Chung Mei?
Where was it. I vegly remember it! Is it still in buisiness, or what occupies the space that it once stood?

If my memory is right, there used to be a Motel in flour bluff where the side enterance off of S.P.I.D is for H.E.B? What was it called?! I remember watching the legend of Billie Jean, and seeing the old sonic in flour bluff, that is just dust now. But what was the name of that restaurant that Taquaria Jalisco occupies. I also remember eating there! As well as the Burger Chef in Flour Bluff, that is now occupied by Hunan Express.
Santa Rosa Mexican Restaurant occupies the old Burger chef at the corner of South staples and Ohio ave.
But it looked like it used to also be an Asian restaurant too.
Any info.

P.S Thank you very much Wehotex, you are very knowledgable! Keep it up!
Haha. Mao Tai was actually pretty good eats for a long time. Otherwise, I don't think that it would have lasted so many years. Chung Mei was on the NW corner of So Alameda & Doddridge. It was set back from alameda st. Unfortunately, I never ate there because my parents really didn't like chinese food back then. It may have been the ONLY chinese restaurant at that time. There really wasn't much of an asian influence in this city back then that I can remember, barely any Asians to speak of.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks Wehotex! I belive my uncle worked at a restaurant called "Sambos"? Hard to belive a restaurant with that name would last. He's passed now, but I read that alot of old Sambos locations turned to Denny's. Did our Sambos turn into Denny's or are the buildings demolished, when did they disappear? If I'm right I remember there used to be an old H.E.B on the north end of the Sunrise Mall? They said that it was attached to the Sunrise Mall. But my Mom says it was raised then they built the mall over it? I swear, the "Summit Church" building looks like an old H.E.B.

-there is also a building right as you are leaving Flour Bluff that is wooden, and very decrepit. What was the name of that place? I remember it as a Putt Putt golf-kind of place.

P.S This Fourm is now my guilty habit.
LOL

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Wehotex! I belive my uncle worked at a restaurant called "Sambos"? Hard to belive a restaurant with that name would last. He's passed now, but I read that alot of old Sambos locations turned to Denny's. Did our Sambos turn into Denny's or are the buildings demolished, when did they disappear? If I'm right I remember there used to be an old H.E.B on the north end of the Sunrise Mall? They said that it was attached to the Sunrise Mall. But my Mom says it was raised then they built the mall over it? I swear, the "Summit Church" building looks like an old H.E.B.

-there is also a building right as you are leaving Flour Bluff that is wooden, and very decrepit. What was the name of that place? I remember it as a Putt Putt golf-kind of place.

P.S This Fourm is now my guilty habit.
LOL
That Sambos was popular in the early 70s. It was on Ayers and SPID near the Mission Shopping Center which opened about 1973, became a Denny's. Funny that you mention that HEB. I worked my first job there as a "carry out" in 1980. The store closed (not sure when), but it was never razed. The original skeleton is still there, but there is now yet another of the gazillion churches thst CC has. There is an identical style of HEB store on the corner of San Pedro & Oblate in San Antonio.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Ok, I see the resemblance! Do you have any memories of the "La Quinta Royal Motor Inn" in downtown Corpus Christi? I recently went through the building, but it is in a very shameful state.
I read that it also used to be a "Ramada Inn Bayfront". From the looks of the place it looks 70s. Is that about the time it was built? I know that an older Hotel once stood there, but I forgot the name! The hotel was rumored to be haunted! Do you recall any murders being told of in that building? I do remember the Old Elmo's Diner across the street. But for some reason, I don't remember that hotel. It is now called "Hotel Corpus Christi Bayfront". It was even featured on Hotel impossible!
Thanks for the info

Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see the resemblance! Do you have any memories of the "La Quinta Royal Motor Inn" in downtown Corpus Christi? I recently went through the building, but it is in a very shameful state.
I read that it also used to be a "Ramada Inn Bayfront". From the looks of the place it looks 70s. Is that about the time it was built? I know that an older Hotel once stood there, but I forgot the name! The hotel was rumored to be haunted! Do you recall any murders being told of in that building? I do remember the Old Elmo's Diner across the street. But for some reason, I don't remember that hotel. It is now called "Hotel Corpus Christi Bayfront". It was even featured on Hotel impossible!
Thanks for the info

I'm not so sure on some of your questions, but I'll try. Aren't there any other "old timers" thst remember these things? There was indeed a Ramada Motor Inn on Shoreline that was there for a long time before the 70s. I had a friend who stayed there in 1988 because it was inexpensive. If it's now a LQR, I'm not sure. There was/is a large hotel called La Quinta Royale thst was on Water caddy corner from City Grill aka Elmo's, both defunct. My sis had her wedding reception at LQR in 1991. It was formerly "the Breakers" hotel, which I believe was destroyed by Hurricane Celia (1970). As you may know, Water st was the bay line before the Seawall was built in the early 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi