Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 AM

440 posts, read 710,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
What's depressing, imo, is all the corporate chain and semi-Tex-Mex restaurants that now populate CC. Those old places had character, dash, and charm not found these days. We each have our own personal maps and constellations of plangent nostalgia for the Good Times . . .Like Martha would say, "It's a good thing."
I agree - and those restaurants were arriving well ahead of the Eagle Ford. How do people afford to eat there? It's not all tourists! I miss Crystal Confectionary, Angelo's Pizza, and most of the little coffee shops. Thankfully the Yardarm is still open as is B&J's Pizza, another favorite. (They cut the pizza with scissors!)

The authentic taquerias still get my business. CC needs to work on growing its own businesses and stop running businesses off to San Antonio once they get to be a decent size. CC's lack of leadership and laissez-faire government doesn't serve it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,264,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
I've always found listening to others, especially family members and old close friends, talk about the past fascinating, illuminating, and instructive. We are cautioned to remember the past, plan for the future and live in the present. Our past is part of our present. Mr. Hill's, "Ship Ahoy" may be gone but don't think for a minute his "Butterfly Shrimp" and "Wedge of lettuce with the house dressing is gone." Mr. Hill was very innovative, as were many of the old restaurateurs that left special flavors in our, South Texas, remembrance of things past. Mr. Hill knew exactly what he was doing. Some may recall how he treated kids, the little hats and his very animated exclamations. It was the place to celebrate after games and other events around town when going out to eat was a treat not everyone could afford but made an effort to enjoy, regardless. Mr. Hill created fond memories for a small city.

What's depressing, imo, is all the corporate chain and semi-Tex-Mex restaurants that now populate CC. Those old places had character, dash, and charm not found these days. We each have our own personal maps and constellations of plangent nostalgia for the Good Times . . .Like Martha would say, "It's a good thing."

There's only one thing I've found that's remained unchanged and timeless in the CC area for me. I'm speaking of course of that area around Big Shell which is also always changing, beneath our notice.

Iceberg Lettuce wedge w/ 1000 Islands Dressing - 1 c Kraft mayonnaise, 1/4 c bottled chili sauce, 2 tbls sweet pickle relish, 2 tbls finely minced green onion 1 Tblsp minced parsley, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce or prepared horseradish, milk to thin, hand rubbed fine tarragon, allow to rest a few hours in refrigerator.

Important: 1 tblsp smoked paprika OR/ Sexton's "Alamo Seasoning" . . .no longer available. Google it and follow the stories. Fiesta Spices in San Antonio has a very satisfactory replacement. Also great for BBQ (deep fried) crabs.

"Alamo Seasoning" was a major seasoning in the better CC restaurants in the 50's-80's.

You can buy excellent Spanish smoked paprika at Gaucho Gourmet in San Antonio:
Yerba Mate Tea and Food Products from Argentina, Italy and Spain by GauchoGourmet
Great post and thank you for the recipe, I tried to rep you, but was told I gotta spread it around first!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM

553 posts, read 1,047,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Great post and thank you for the recipe, I tried to rep you, but was told I gotta spread it around first!
I wasn't hip to all the "rep" BS and behind the scenes private messaging until recently . . .WTF, it is what it is, Groupthink.

I want my "Click" back!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 24,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmadoc View Post
Corpus Crusty,
I think you may be referring to the old City/County Health Department.
I may be wrong but I think that's the building you're describing.
Hmm, well I thought the Health Dept was the bldg right across Shoreline form the Yacht Club?
and may still be standing there.

I'm talking way down at the very end of Shoreline Drive toward the Harbor Bridge, where you'd have to turn around or drive into the harbor, right at what is now the Art museum. My father owned some of the land there inc Shoreline Drive Inn and some low income residential housing group.

THere was a small white bldg near there too, between both Shorelines in the median, but much smaller than the Health Dept across Shoreline Dr from the Yacht Club T-head. I think only lost tourists and locals ever ventured down to this far end of Shoreline. The Mayflower Hotel was on your right after you did the uturn around to come back downtown from the harbor area. Kinda where that auditorium is now.
sorry if my description is confusing, but this area is almost under the bridge but at the very north part of Shorelne, it's all city owned museums now.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
I agree - and those restaurants were arriving well ahead of the Eagle Ford. How do people afford to eat there? It's not all tourists! I miss Crystal Confectionary, Angelo's Pizza, and most of the little coffee shops. Thankfully the Yardarm is still open as is B&J's Pizza, another favorite. (They cut the pizza with scissors!)

The authentic taquerias still get my business. CC needs to work on growing its own businesses and stop running businesses off to San Antonio once they get to be a decent size. CC's lack of leadership and laissez-faire government doesn't serve it well.
The Yardarm gets my vote! Water St. Bar is too damned noisy and the last time I had pizza at Angelo's, John F. Kennedy was alive.

I followed the development of the Packery Channel (Old Corpus Christi Pass) from the initial ESA and coastal engineering studies (and Johnny French) until a few years ago. All I have to say to the city fathers and developer Paul Schexnailder: friend zone - Google Search

Well, . . .maybe not all. I'm reminded of this:

"We tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

-- Caius Petronius A.D.66

Vibrancy, isn't a CC descriptor.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Crusty View Post
Hmm, well I thought the Health Dept was the bldg right across Shoreline form the Yacht Club?
and may still be standing there.

I'm talking way down at the very end of Shoreline Drive toward the Harbor Bridge, where you'd have to turn around or drive into the harbor, right at what is now the Art museum. My father owned some of the land there inc Shoreline Drive Inn and some low income residential housing group.

THere was a small white bldg near there too, between both Shorelines in the median, but much smaller than the Health Dept across Shoreline Dr from the Yacht Club T-head. I think only lost tourists and locals ever ventured down to this far end of Shoreline. The Mayflower Hotel was on your right after you did the uturn around to come back downtown from the harbor area. Kinda where that auditorium is now.
sorry if my description is confusing, but this area is almost under the bridge but at the very north part of Shorelne, it's all city owned museums now.
I have a little bit of information for you with regard to menu items. I'm still looking but the old moldy papers seems to impact my URS. Trying to put together a little data for your Mom's party next month.

Are you sure it was legally named the >Shoreline Inn< or >Shoreline Drive-In<? The partner, Papa Schoop? Murphy Givens at the Caller -Times might know where an old photograph exist: givensm@caller.com

I recall vaguely, riding my bike across the old Bascule bridge, just before the new bridge was finished.
That area was sorta' spooky circa 1958. I well recall an old restaurant, a stark white stucco, two-story bldg. located on a north corner with a neon sign that said "EAT", in the early 80's. There was a good fiberglass shop (marine) nearby, ate there several times . . .it was good. That was after the museums and Bayfront Plaza and Shoreline Blvd. realignment.

I'm thinking there may be an old menu/matches. You will recall it was mostly fried seafood and chicken.

I've been a little distracted with what's going on in Venezuela, bad stuff, and not much news getting out. Hey . . .that's Citgo in the Kochtopus.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM

35 posts, read 143,960 times
You may be thinking of what was once like the 50's a VFW or salute to verans bldg complete with cannons in front facing east. Later on it became the Nueces County Tax Asssessors Office... ala Joe L Stevens. I had 2 aunts who worked there.. That's were the license plates were distributed for along time. Later it bacame a restaurant, art museum.
Or you may be thinking of the "old city hall" , red brick bldg which was located just north of the Expositon Hall. That one had about 2 or 3 stories and bit the dust when the new City Hall was built on the spot where Sears used to be on Leopard.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 AM

35 posts, read 143,960 times
I also remember an elementary school north of the health department bldg. That's where we would congregate as Cub Scouts preparing for a 4th of July parade..
Could that be the building you are referring to?
I think it was called Beach Elementary and probably catered to kids on that part of town and aincluded kids from North Beach area. that was in the mid 50's prior to Bascule bridge replacement.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 24,934 times
Shoreline Drive In had car hops and inside eating, mostly burgers, shakes that I remember as a kid. It was at what seemed to me the near dead end of n. Shoreline dr., inbetween the 2 shoreline lanes. It faced south toward town. It seemed like a turn around pt. or dead end. Heading back to town on shoreline dr. the mayflower motel was a block or two on the right. I wrote the email at the caller to ask more info or pics.
This land was domained to the city when the arts complex was planned. My dad's partner went to court I think to get more money, my dad didn't contest it. This had to be in the mid 1960s.
I don't remember much else around there, I was just a kid.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus Crusty View Post
Shoreline Drive In had car hops and inside eating, mostly burgers, shakes that I remember as a kid. It was at what seemed to me the near dead end of n. Shoreline dr., inbetween the 2 shoreline lanes. It faced south toward town. It seemed like a turn around pt. or dead end. Heading back to town on shoreline dr. the mayflower motel was a block or two on the right. I wrote the email at the caller to ask more info or pics.
This land was domained to the city when the arts complex was planned. My dad's partner went to court I think to get more money, my dad didn't contest it. This had to be in the mid 1960s.
I don't remember much else around there, I was just a kid.
Go here:Corpus Christi Times, Friday, January 30, 1959, Page 30

You will find: STEAKS SEAFOOD CHICKEN SHORELINE DRIVE INN 122 Cjtroll at Norlh End of Cunrt SEAFOOD SPECIALS Jumbo Shrimp Select Oysters dor Deviled SEAFOOD PLATTER 2 Shrimp 2 Oysters Detiled Crib Trout 1 25 ALL ORDERS SERVED WITH Tartar Souce Shoestring Potatoes Green Salad end Hat Rolls

Let the page completely load - you'll find this:

Brighter Day The Secret Storm The Edqe of Ntght Liberate Big Ten Club Popiye Superman Weoibercost Corpus Chriiti Today Doug Edwards News Your Kit Parade Rawhide Phil Show Sthfirz PJayhoose The lineup Whirlrbirds Star PerformoncB Hnal Edition News Weothercflst J Ten Star Mom J I Am A Thief Prayer for Tom arrow KZTV 4 4 4 4 4 More Fun Than They Have in DOGPATCH BIG SADIE HAWKINS N1TE DANCE TONITE EVERY FRI NITE Muiie and Entertainment by JOHNNY WILLIAMS TRIO ALSO DANCING SATURDAY NIGHT JAM SESSION STARDUST LOUNGE SUNDAY NULA MILLER MGR JAM SESSION 4 TO 7 P M 5516 HIGHWAY 9 SUNDAY 4 TO 7 P M CILUlfJE Coasters ITS JUST A 5IATTEB OF TIME Brook Becton LA BAMBA Ritchie Valens HAWAIIAN WEDDING SONG Andy Williams98c THEUE MUST BE A WAV Joni JamesQBt GOTTA TRAVEL ON B Crammer98i 51V HAPPINESS Connie Frances98c I GOT A WIFE Mark IV98c BYE BYE ArtMooney FLAT TRIE Del Vikings RAWHIDE Link Wray The Wraymcn 986 SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY Roy Hamilton986 3IAKE ME KNOW YOURE MINE Conway Twitty981 XOLA The Morgan Brothers 986 Radio Center 1718 S ALAMEDA SIX POINTS DIALTU44941 Alexanders 4126AYERS PorUirt Shopping Center D1ALUL22283 For the ladywith at the TRADEWINDS Northern TBonc Steak Sour Cream and Chives Tossed Green Salad Hot Rolls and Real Butter 95c 7ti4t caicrs t CtcUI ca for fcftgmittoa memUcca Usgutts iRADEttlNDS ai Highway 9 Corpus Chrali Texas V JOHN BKOOME MR MRS DOXUJJ MEL WADE toy RCCO tri fcvlted t Sttyt fufsJ tx ia events oat U trey Shept tomorrow cjM they win receive wlulelr fro detlclcus GoMra Ermvn Trirt ****ta Dlnnrn rto fcro for IVIUct tt the a lorey cor nit Iron Oitnliii rkmm STEAKS SEAFOOD CHICKEN SHORELINE DRIVE INN 122 Cjtroll at Norlh End of Cunrt SEAFOOD SPECIALS Jumbo Shrimp Select Oysters dor Deviled SEAFOOD PLATTER 2 Shrimp 2 Oysters Detiled Crib Trout 1 25 ALL ORDERS SERVED WITH Tartar Souce Shoestring Potatoes Green Salad end Hat Rolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi