Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,085 times

Advertisements

Water park was called Aqua Thrill Ways and it was next to Magic Isles amusement park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No, there was NEVER a whataburger in Sunrise Mall. There was already one fairly closeby at Airline & SPID (built in 1974 or so). In fact, it's still there. I don't recall that I had seen a non-stand alone Whataburger until the 2000s. Now, you find them in airports, Whataburger Field and some malls.
There WAS a Whataburger in Sunrise Mall, if I can remember it was on the same wing as Chelsae's Street Pub

Old 11-15-2015, 04:09 AM

25 posts, read 84,794 times
SOUTH TEXAS CAMP BREAD

This from Skidmore and Papalote a little outside of Corpus but worth posting:

PAN DE CAMPO

BUDDY BOALES’ PAPALOTE TEXAS CAMP BREAD

PREHEAT A CAST IRON SKILLET OR CHICKEN FRYER (#8 OR #9) OVER LOW HEAT ON A COLEMAN PROPANE OR KITCHEN STOVETOP.

2 CUPS AP FLOUR
2 TSPS. BAKING POWDER
¼ CUP, ROUNDED, SHORTENING OR LARD
1 ½ TSP. TABLE SALT
1 ½ (?) CUPS WHOLE MILK OR AS NEEDED

WHISK DRY INGREDIENTS AND WORK IN SHORTENING (I USE A FOOD PROCESSOR) THEN DUMP INTO MIXING BOWL. STIR IN ENOUGH MILK TO FORM A THICK, SOMEWHAT LUMPY BUT POURABLE BATTER. LIGHTLY GREASE THE SKILLET THEN POUR IN THE BATTER AND EVEN OUT THE TOP. COVER AND COOK FOR 12-15 MINUTES; UNTIL TOP OF BREAD LOOKS DRY AND HAS PULLED AWAY FROM SIDES OF SKILLET. THEN FLIP OVER AND COOK UNCOVERED FOR 3-5 MINUTES LONGER. SERVE WARM.

RECIPE CAN BE HALVED: I USE A #5 OR #6 SKILLET FOR HALF A BATCH, AND ALMOST A FULL CUP OF MILK.

BUDDY WAS A HELLUVA GOOD GUY AND A GREAT OLD TIME CAMP COOK. HE WORKED FOR MY DADDY AT THE PAPALOTE SHOOTING RESORT AND LATER MANAGED RUSTY GRIFFITH’S “ROUND UP” IN SKIDMORE, TEXAS.

BUDDY GAVE ME THE INGREDIENT LIST MANY YEARS AGO, BUT I HAD TO WORK UP THE TECHNIQUES FROM MEMORY AS WELL AS TRIAL AND ERROR. IT’S PRETTY CLOSE TO WHAT I REMEMBER.

MOST EVERYONE AGREED THAT BUDDY’S CAMP BREAD WAS THE BEST.

JOHN ELLIOTT III
8/17/08

Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,544 times
What was the name of the head shop on six points back in the 80s?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynflores1960 View Post
What was the name of the head shop on six points back in the 80s?
Kaleidoscope, right?

Old 02-23-2016, 12:03 PM

17 posts, read 49,641 times
Kaleidoscope is what I thought of today as well

Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 PM

47 posts, read 169,186 times
http://youtu.be/v0eHpbk7n_k

This is a great collage.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:14 AM

51 posts, read 66,428 times
I discovered this thread a few days ago and have finally made it through all the posts. What a flashback it was, I really enjoyed reading about things I had all but forgotten. I left Corpus about 45 years ago at age 15. I was around to see the transition of Padre Island from a beach, to a pay-per-use ($1 a car I think) to a National Seashore. We did a lot of pier fishing (Bob Hall pier) and surf fishing on Padre and on Mustang Island, and some friends had a fishing shack on one of the islands in the Intercostal Canal, my neighbor was retired military and would take us kids to the Naval Base and we fished off docking piers there.

I recall eating at Nolan’s and often my dad would pick up poor boy sandwiches, I still make a version of them with ham, pastrami, cheese and garlic butter and really like Ranch Style Beans as a side. Hopefully they are still as good as I remember. Ship Ahoy was a family favorite for seafood as was a restaurant on one of the T or L heads. My Granny liked Price’s Chef at Six Points for lunch and would take the family to Luby’s Cafeteria, or a smorgasbord in one of the small strip malls. Luby’s had decent fish on Fridays and a pie that was a dark layer of nuts with a thin cream topping that was really good. My favorite pizza was from Panjo’s (sp?) near the Gulfway Shopping Center, they had one that was king sized too. By far, What-A-Burger was the best burger and my earliest memories were ordering one “all the way”, and having choices of potato chips or Frito’s that were stapled to a cardboard display, and wax paper bags of jalapenos that were by the register. The malts were way good. Later they had fries, and I think a smaller burger too. My uncle was a mayonnaise guy and ordered a “sissy burger” embarrassing all the kids. A couple of times a month the family would go to kind of an all-you-can-eat place maybe off SPID at McArdle or Everhart? They would have specials on different nights like chicken fried steak, or fried fish. Anyone recall the bar/restaurant on the way to Padre Island, they either had birds or monkeys in a glass front cage in the bar… Maybe called the Beachcomber or something like that. Likely Celia took it out.

On many Saturdays we would ride bikes downtown or to Parkdale Plaza and spend the day hanging out and maybe hitting the record stores. I remember a little shop downtown that sold games and magic kits and props, and also gag items like the rubber vomit or itching powder. The post above mentioned the Kaleidoscope… in addition to a head shop they sold posters and black lights, I had a couple from there in my bedroom.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:57 PM

199 posts, read 176,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdIQ View Post
I discovered this thread a few days ago and have finally made it through all the posts. What a flashback it was, I really enjoyed reading about things I had all but forgotten. I left Corpus about 45 years ago at age 15. I was around to see the transition of Padre Island from a beach, to a pay-per-use ($1 a car I think) to a National Seashore. We did a lot of pier fishing (Bob Hall pier) and surf fishing on Padre and on Mustang Island, and some friends had a fishing shack on one of the islands in the Intercostal Canal, my neighbor was retired military and would take us kids to the Naval Base and we fished off docking piers there.

I recall eating at Nolan’s and often my dad would pick up poor boy sandwiches, I still make a version of them with ham, pastrami, cheese and garlic butter and really like Ranch Style Beans as a side. Hopefully they are still as good as I remember. Ship Ahoy was a family favorite for seafood as was a restaurant on one of the T or L heads. My Granny liked Price’s Chef at Six Points for lunch and would take the family to Luby’s Cafeteria, or a smorgasbord in one of the small strip malls. Luby’s had decent fish on Fridays and a pie that was a dark layer of nuts with a thin cream topping that was really good. My favorite pizza was from Panjo’s (sp?) near the Gulfway Shopping Center, they had one that was king sized too. By far, What-A-Burger was the best burger and my earliest memories were ordering one “all the way”, and having choices of potato chips or Frito’s that were stapled to a cardboard display, and wax paper bags of jalapenos that were by the register. The malts were way good. Later they had fries, and I think a smaller burger too. My uncle was a mayonnaise guy and ordered a “sissy burger” embarrassing all the kids. A couple of times a month the family would go to kind of an all-you-can-eat place maybe off SPID at McArdle or Everhart? They would have specials on different nights like chicken fried steak, or fried fish. Anyone recall the bar/restaurant on the way to Padre Island, they either had birds or monkeys in a glass front cage in the bar… Maybe called the Beachcomber or something like that. Likely Celia took it out.

On many Saturdays we would ride bikes downtown or to Parkdale Plaza and spend the day hanging out and maybe hitting the record stores. I remember a little shop downtown that sold games and magic kits and props, and also gag items like the rubber vomit or itching powder. The post above mentioned the Kaleidoscope… in addition to a head shop they sold posters and black lights, I had a couple from there in my bedroom.
Beautiful Post!! Panjo's is STILL THERE, believe it or not with different owners. Sadly, the longtime piano player passed away a few years back. They no longer toss the pizza dough up in the air like they used too. Funny how when you say "Sissy" now at a Whataburger, they don't know what you're talking about. I remember my Mom calling it that when ordering for me, which ALSO embarrassed me, The "Fun Shop" that you're referring to was across from the Downtown Library (Peoples St, I think). I used to like shopping there also when my Mom would drop me off at that Library back in the late 70s. It probably disappeared shortly after that. There was also a similar "Fun Shop" in the Mall in the strip next to JC Penneys.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:47 AM

199 posts, read 176,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Kaleidoscope, right?

I thought that Kaleidoscope was located in Town & Country Center?, 1970ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi