Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times

Advertisements

I was asked this during a tv interview show hosted by Mark Di Carlo that will air Friday night - i think its Channel 10 ( I live in Rockport - have no clue of cc channels).

Anyway yes refineries have provided many with jobs. They have also been responsible for considerable pollution. Benzene is turning up in the blood of Gibson Elem students tested this year.

As I said on the air, I wonder had CC developed differently with other types of industries or resorts on the channel, whether people who drive in on I37 would have a less ugly negative view of cc. I-37 gets a majority of visitors who may never see the prettier ocean drive or Tamu-CC parts of town.

Im not sure how that came up - I was still asleep and cold- and was talking about the different school districts. Flour Bluff, Callalen,Gregory - Portland, Port Aransas and Aransas County ISD are the better ones. CCISD average and Taft and Robstown not so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Corpus would not really be much of a city without those refineries. It brought jobs and growth to the city. Pollution is a by-product of industry. We know that now but it was not so evident when the oil business was booming in Texas and Corpus Christi had a large port.

One thing is for sure - without those jobs, that industry then Corpus would still be a pretty small town. That elementary school would have never been built.

I've talked to some people who traveled to Corpus on business and never got close to Downtown or the water. The flew in, stayed near the airport and their entire perception is based on those refineries. That's certainly a negative as you say. It's the "business" that made the city - without it, Corpus could be another Port Isabelle without the development. It was always destined to be a business hub because of it's protected deep port.

This country needs more environmental structure and modernization. Problem is - nobody wants to pay for that. Government doesn't, business doesn't and neither do the citizens. It's going to be very expensive to re-structure industry to match current knowledge - everyone wants that, nobody wants to take responsibility for it. Much easier to just point fingers.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi