Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,359 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to South Texas due to my job, and I have heard Calallen and Gregory-Portland are the top two school districts in South Texas. I have noticed they are neck and neck at many things, but do they outscore eachother on anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,388,276 times
Calallen is better in football, baseball, softball, and basketball. Also I believe Calallen is closer to a lot of things than what GP is. I say that because its located right on I-37 and US 77. It is also closer to the lake, hunting, and SA. I think before too long Calallen will explode with growth and have a lot of shopping and job oppurtunities. Especially along US 77. But the tempurature does climb higher here than at Portland. Its usually 10 degrees hotter during the summer and 10 degrees colder during the winter.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,492,851 times
i wrote an article on the school districts a few years ago. Guess which district scores the highest? Hint- none of the above--- Port Aransas ISD. Rockport ACISD is moving up and Flour Bluff is near the top. In the English tests last week ACISD and GP were at the top but all the above were within a few percent. On the other hand CCISD varies widely with Robstown and Taft being pretty bad.

My suggestion is pick among the 5 districts where you would like to live and you'll be fine.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM

808 posts, read 3,634,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Calallen is better in football, baseball, softball, and basketball. Also I believe Calallen is closer to a lot of things than what GP is. I say that because its located right on I-37 and US 77. It is also closer to the lake, hunting, and SA. I think before too long Calallen will explode with growth and have a lot of shopping and job oppurtunities. Especially along US 77. But the tempurature does climb higher here than at Portland. Its usually 10 degrees hotter during the summer and 10 degrees colder during the winter.
Don't know if we should encourage people to choose schools based upon the success of sports programs, but even so, I remember GP's softball program being better than Calallen's a few years ago. Don't know if that's still the case. Both are pretty equal in basketball, and GP went further in the football playoffs than Calallen this past year. Calallen does have a baseball program that rivals many colleges. When I saw them play last (2007), they had SEVERAL players on their team that are now stars on college teams in the Big XII.

Hunting...Portland could easily be considered closer to that, considering that duck hunting counts as hunting. Calallen is slightly closer to SA, but not by much (people from G-P can go up 181 to SA which is only about 8 miles longer than 37 from Calallen to SA). Calallen is closer to Mexico, and both areas are the same distance from Houston. Calallen is MUCH closer to Lake Corpus Christi. Portland is MUCH closer to the bays (since it's on both of them).

Portland is closer to Padre Staples Mall than Calallen (12.3 miles to 18.5 miles). Portland is also closer to Downtown CC and to Port Aransas & Rockport.

Both areas are poised for some good growth. Portland has two shopping centers under construction right now. Portland also is near the planned La Quinta Trade Gateway. The Port of Corpus Christi - LaQuinta Trade Gateway Development Plan (http://www.portofcorpuschristi.com/LaQuintaTradeGateway.html - broken link)

Now...to what I think the OP was inquiring about.

Academics

First, dig deeper than TAKS scores to find what school district will truly serve your children best. Calallen has a very good Advanced Placement program (not sure about G-P's). G-P has a TOP NOTCH Drama Department. There are other examples of this as well...bottom line: pick which one is best for your children.

You really can't go wrong with either area.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM

162 posts, read 702,258 times
Well, I'm certainly not biased (looks at own screen name :-p) -- okay, I am, but let me just say that I absolutely LOVE the Calallen school district. My husband and I are currently looking to relocate to San Antonio and one of my biggest fears is that I won't find a school that compares. Granted, I don't know much about GP, personally, so I can only speak from my personal experience with Calallen, but we're very happy with our experience here.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,997,069 times
One of the big reasons (besides the location of my job being on the corner of I-37/US77) for me choosing Calallen over the other areas is because of the highly touted school district. Another reason, is because I wanted to distance myself a bit from the coast in case of a hurricane (although it would still do considerable damage in Calallen, due to the area only being about 15 miles from the coast; at least the storm surge wouldn't affect this area).

Like GabeTX said, I feel that Calallen is going to be exploding in growth. The area on west Leopard to the NW Blvd, and along Hwy 77 should and most likely will be seeing tremendous business growth. I am not sure if I agree with him about his weather statistics, although being closer to the coast does moderate the temperature a bit (I would say that there is about a 3-5 degree difference in the winter to a 5-7 degree difference in the summer).

The best advice I can give you, is prioritize what is most important to you, and base your moving decisions off of that. Do realize that the way Corpus is laid out, that if you work in Calallen, but live in Flour Bluff for example, you are looking at a half hour commute each way.

Ian

Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 10,359 times
Thank you guys for that info! Now some other questions. Which town has the prettiest features? Geography and well kept wise. Also, how is the real estate in each town? Which is the more afforadable?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 AM

162 posts, read 702,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Gilardino View Post
Thank you guys for that info! Now some other questions. Which town has the prettiest features? Geography and well kept wise. Also, how is the real estate in each town? Which is the more afforadable?
Can't really answer the "prettiest features" question since it's been years since I've been to Portland, but I, personally like using Corpus Christi Association of REALTORS to search real estate (side note: this site updates daily, which I love). Calallen is 78410 area. Depending on what your price range is, I'm sure you can find equally affordable priced homes in either area. When we were planning on staying in Corpus, we were looking at homes in Callicoatte Estates -- roughly around 120k.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 AM

808 posts, read 3,634,916 times
Quote:
Calallen has a few hills (though you wouldn't know it if you were traveling on 77 or 624). Not big hills, mind you, but the terrain does roll a bit.

Portland is located on the Corpus Christi and Nueces Bays.

Both areas (Portland is a town, Calallen is a school district) are well-kept.

Portland tends to be a little pricier than Calallen, but in this market, all bets are off. Search zip codes 78374 (Portland) and zip 78410 (Calallen/Tuloso-Midway). Bear in mind that 78410 spans two school districts, so make sure the properties you look at are in the Calallen ISD (not that Tuloso-Midway is bad by any means, but since Calallen was the area in question...).

Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,439 times
Quote:
Portland by far has the better scenic features. Especially if you live anywhere on the coast, because then your backyard is basically the water and downtown Corpus Christi in the view. Portland is a little hilly on the coast too. Then as you go in town it gets level. I lived there for 12 years, but then moved to Boerne. You will probably pay cheaper city taxes in Calallen. Portland's are high as well as their homes. If you are looking to move to Northshore(Country Club), don't expect to find any houses under 300,000 on the golf course side. You may find some on the other side of Broadway. With this though you have lower crime and a better school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi