U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM

271 posts, read 728,809 times

Advertisements

Has CC ever had to evacuate and if so when was the last time? I'm very interested in moving to Flour Bluff, Portland, or the Island and just realized I hadn't asked this very important question. So if evacuations do happen are they a nightmare or no big deal and how far inland do you need to go? I hope this doesn't sound like stupid questions but I really am ignorant about this natural disaster and wasn't sure if the whole coast was equally susceptible. Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:23 PM

808 posts, read 3,348,897 times
I know for sure that CC evacuated for Hurricane Rita, which ended up not even giving the city a drop of rain (the evacuation order was cancelled prior to the deadline, and I hadn't left yet - I was about to, though!). I'm pretty sure there has been an evacuation since, but I am not sure.

In general, the evacuations are pretty orderly to begin with, as people who live on the Island are given the orders first, then the orders are given to those in Flour Bluff, etc. But, as the time goes on, the roads get very busy. There are contra-flow lanes on I-37 to San Antonio which may be alleviating some of that now; I am not sure.

I recommend going somewhere that is at least 100 miles away from the coast; if it's a Category 3 storm or stronger; adjust as you see fit. When I lived in CC, my plan was always to evacuate to Austin, where I have family. That's generally going to be a safe location, unless the storm is a Category 4 or 5. If it is such, I would recommend going somewhere northwest of San Antonio. It would be a good excuse to visit Fredericksburg!

By the way, Corpus is overdue for a direct hit from a hurricane. The last major hurricane to make landfall in the CC area was Celia (1970 - landfall at Port Aransas & Portland).

I wouldn't let the threat of hurricanes stop you from moving to the area. You get plenty of advanced notice for hurricanes, unlike earthquakes, tornadoes, and mud slides! Just make sure you purchase windstorm insurance...and they are not going to sell you a policy once a tropical system enters the Gulf, so get it early!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,919,306 times
Anywhwre on the coast of the US is in danger.Galveston for example had been hit directly since 1900 and its much like corpus being very exposed but has a wall in the main business area. A strom like Riat which was a cat 3 wind event can cause alotof damage over 1200 miles awy and tornadoes can efect further north, the many areas can handles 20 inches of sudden rain further north could flood badly.Also purchase flood insurance as many in this area learned form Rita and Ike.The worst damage from Ike was the flooding storm surge and widnstorm will not cover that.Thinlk of a strom suge of 20 foot in areas liek Ikle and think of the damage ;it sweeps evryhting in it path with cars and other things driven by it.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM

1,363 posts, read 2,749,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Anywhwre on the coast of the US is in danger.Galveston for example had been hit directly since 1900 and its much like corpus being very exposed but has a wall in the main business area. A strom like Riat which was a cat 3 wind event can cause alotof damage over 1200 miles awy and tornadoes can efect further north, the many areas can handles 20 inches of sudden rain further north could flood badly.Also purchase flood insurance as many in this area learned form Rita and Ike.The worst damage from Ike was the flooding storm surge and widnstorm will not cover that.Thinlk of a strom suge of 20 foot in areas liek Ikle and think of the damage ;it sweeps evryhting in it path with cars and other things driven by it.
That is Galveston not CC. Most of Corpus is a lot less prone to flooding than Galveston. Even if you had to evacuate, for most storms you would be safe evacuating to Beeville. CC has not had a city wide/ all out evacuation since Hurricane Brett in 1998.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM

808 posts, read 3,348,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
That is Galveston not CC. Most of Corpus is a lot less prone to flooding than Galveston. Even if you had to evacuate, for most storms you would be safe evacuating to Beeville. CC has not had a city wide/ all out evacuation since Hurricane Brett in 1998.
Gabe, I agree with most of what you wrote, but Bret was not the last "city wide/ all out evacuation."

There was a mandatory evacuation order for Hurricane Rita, which was lifted after the storm changed course and headed for the Port Arthur area. I'm not sure if there have been any since then.

Here's proof:
Corpus Christi Ends Mandatory Evacuation - International - redOrbit

Side-By-Side: Hurricane Katrina v Hurricane Rita from US Politics
Quote:
Evacuations ordered for Galveston and Corpus Christi, TX as well as New Orleans.
You are, of course, correct that Corpus Christi is much less flood-prone than Galveston, but Beeville will not be a safe evacuation point for much more than a Category 1 storm. Here's photos from Beeville after Hurricane Claudette in 2003:
Claudette Page 1 - Beeville, Texas
Claudette Page 2 (Dehnert Photos) - Beeville, Texas
Claudette Page 3 (Mike Antinarella photos) - Beeville, Texas

The bottom line is that it's wind, not water, that will affect MOST of the CC area (not including Port A, the Island, and parts of Flour Bluff).

Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 AM

484 posts, read 1,432,764 times
The last scare we had was "Ike", turned out we didn't even get the grass watered.

I'm often asked about hurricanes by folks not from here, the most often question involves similarities between New Orleans and CC,,, everybody remembers Katrina. Even though CC has a same size population as NO, we have several other highways out of CC, NO has basically one way in and one way out.

NO sits below sea level on Mississippi mud, (no drainage), CC sits above sea level with a fair sand component to the soil, Padre Island is all beach sand and will not flood. Storm surge is another question.

No one wants a direct hit by a major storm, but I think CC is a better bet for survivability than many coastal cities. As stated above, it's the wind that'll do the most damage, not the water.

Most responsible home owners have pre-cut plywood panels set aside for their windows and a plan to evacuate. For example, I can have my house completely boarded up and be on the road to San Antonio or Del Rio inside of 2 hours.

Buy flood insurance.

It's all part of wanting to live in paradise.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 PM

13,124 posts, read 6,371,305 times
Dad remember the 1919 storm and that was the worst to hit Corpus. I was there for both Carla and Celia.

Celia was bad for a couple of reasons. We didn't have much warning, it was due to go in at Brownsville and turned suddenly and came into Corpus. It came in on the backside and caught many unprepared - they didn't expect it to be much of a storm ... they were wrong. We were without power for almost a week but did not have contaminated water so that part was good.

IF I were still living in Corpus (unless I was on the island) I would not evacuate at all - that's because I know how to prepare for a storm. Most all of Corpus is perfectly safe during a storm to the old timers - we know what to do. The worst part is after the storm - loss of power, no AC or refrigeration (finding ice become the daily program). The clean up is major.

My parents live in a facility that demands they evacuate when the city calls for it. We have to be ready to get them out when ever that happens and move them North. Before Katrina - there were no mandatory evacuations of Corpus and the first time they called for one, it was a traffic mess but nothing like Houston. Hurricane evacuation routes are well developed now and it's not much of a problem. IF I still lived there and were going to evacuate (which I never would), I would probably head West instead of North. The storms tend to track North/North East with rain/wind - same thing with people, they tend to go North.

Bottom line ... I wouldn't worry about it. Board up, lay in supplies and plenty of water ( if you lose water, then you will need it for toilets - so fill the bathtubs) and as much ice/dry ice as you can fill an ice chest with. The real dangers are going outside (never, never, never) and the tornadoes that are in the storm - old timers know that you can do a lot to control the damage by remaining in your home. Apartments and trailers/mobile homes are a totally different matter ... might be best to leave. The danger is NOT the rising water, it's the wind unless you happen to be in a very low area near the water.

North Beach and the island should always evacuate. The elderly and those with medical issues should always evacuate. Everyone else should be just fine as long as you are prepared to live with no power for a week.

Corpus Christi is overdue for a big storm. I prepare every year just in case I need to get down there and evacuate my parents. Celia was the last big one and that was 39 years ago. Notice all those home along Ocean Drive and in the mile or so inland. Some of those homes have been there since the early 1900's and most since the 1950's ... most of the CC growth as been toward/beyond Saratoga, and it's very inward from the water. It's nothing like New Orleans or Galveston Island except for the growth out on the island.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 AM

32 posts, read 35,314 times
I think it would be helpful if City-Data included hurricane activity on cities that are on the coast.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 AM

287 posts, read 482,186 times
Texas is relatively safe, even if you consider the fact that Galveston has had a couple doozies recently.
Hurricanes/Tropical Storms what cities and islands get hit most (rankings)

Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 PM

548 posts, read 353,656 times

So Corpus-Brownsville gets' hit as often as Boston-New York. This has a lot to do with the Yucatan steering storms north and the fact that a storm that strengthens tends to pull northward on a track(so as the Gulf heats up in the Summer the storms are more likely to hit Houston-NO-Pennsacola).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi